GPS recomendations

Looking for recommendations for a new GPS my old garmin 195 is getting very flakey ( technical term for not responding to button press and other faults).

Needs to be readable in all light situations

perferably less than $750

moving map nice but not essential

easily read by older eyes.

Am considering garmin 196, Garm in 96c and Clear Prop's system.

Also interested in any comments on the airbox/aware system

any and all comments greatly appreciated

David h

Guest Andys@coffs

David

Recently purchased an IPAD to trial OzRunways and the alternate......Ive gotta say that Herm was right on the money when he said words to the effect:-

"Garmin costs me more than an Ipad cost and only does GPS, an Ipad does the GPS function (with moving maps that are latest from ASA and includes WAC, VNC,VTC, and ERCL's and planning) and has the latest ERSA and AIP's as well. Furthermore its useful as a device for non aviation pursuits as well."

Further when you've arrived and are ready to come back you can do all the planning on it (assuming 3G coverage...T is good!) get the latest Notams and be fully planned for the return.

The only thing missing for me is that the IPAD doesnt output the necessary signals to interface with the autopilot on my aircraft and in any event I like to have a backup available (So the garmin is still in the cockpit with me) .

Anyway, it may be worth considering. an entry level 3rd generation ipad/with 3G is around $670 up front plus $20 to $30 per month for the 3G connection (unless you already have that in your phone....) plus around $75 per year for the aviation software....Most Garmin aviation based GPS's will cost more than that for reasonable sized screen moving maps.... It is possible to get a cheaper no 3G 2nd generation Ipad using your phone for mobile connectivity but you will also need to buy a bluetooth GPS that is supported on the IPAD.....I havent had it long enough yet to determine if the externals are truelly that much better a buy...but with the cost of the external factored in, I cant immediately see an advantage to not buying a 3G capable ipad (which has a GPS reciever built in)

Andy

P.S Readable in all light....IPAD Fails that requirement IMHO buty is usable in my J230 which is highwing.....Not sure for low wings as to how usable it will be in full sun

I already have 12 Gig (a month) Bigpond Broad band at home I also have Telstra 4G wireless (sierra) doovey lacky that I plug into my Lap top (USB) when I am at work in Western QLD (4 gig a month). I dont want to have to pay anymore. Sooooo- Can I use my Telstra 4 G doovey lacky that I normally plug into my Lap on the IPAD? Can I buy a connection for USB stuff ,since Apple where too stupid to put a USB port on there Ipad?

Guest Andys@coffs

Dazza

So if the Sierra thing only connects by USB then no....however if you buy a Sim Cutter and adapter of ebay for about $6 you can then trim the current Telstra SIM down to micro SIM style and put it into an IPAD and you wont have to buy a 3G plan.(This is exactly what I did) Heres an example http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Micro-Sim-Card-Cutter-New-iPad-3-iPad-iPad-2-iPhone-4-4S-4G-w-Adapters-/320991561154?pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item4abc9685c2 (Note Aus ones cost a $ or 2 more but get here within a few days, the ones out of HK and China can take up to 2 months to get here!!!! Alternately most mobile shops have a sim cutter that they'll let you use, and the adpaters are also available but when I checked it was $10 for a single adapter......... Back at home the Ipad uses WiFi in the house in preference to 3G whenever it can....

At the same time the IPAD can then act as a WiFi Access point and if you want your laptop as well it can then connect to the ipad and use its 3G connection.....Or you can wip the microSIM out of the IPAD, into the adapter that came with the cutter and then back into the Sierrra USB dongle.....

Re USB question, yeah there is an adapter for about $4 (ebay) that provides a USB port and ports for various memory cards....but the catch is that the what you can do with the connection is very limited....... There are peripherals available that connect via Bluetooth where you might use a USB connection elsewhere (ie Keyboard etc)

Im liking it SoFar and while I dont have the level of control that I did with my Android Tablet Im finding that things in general just work and if not then theres either a free app or one for a $ or 2 that does what I want perfectly.

Andy

Guest Howard Hughes
Andys@coffs, post: 245432,P.S Readable in all light....IPAD Fails that requirement IMHO buty is usable in my J230 which is highwing.....Not sure for low wings as to how usable it will be in full sun

Works fine in my low wing, but then again I don't have a bubble canopy!

PS: Use it for weight and balance/performance only, not in flight.

Guest Andys@coffs
Works fine in my low wing, but then again I don't have a bubble canopy!PS: Use it for weight and balance/performance only, not in flight.

Yeah we are all waiting to see what CASA do re EFB.... I thought you worked for them, but from your post I can see its the other way around 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

When I bought my Garmin 495, I was deciding between it and the new Garmin Aera series. After reading a post by another pilot online, I took the two outside the shop into the daylight. The Aera with it's you-beaut touch screen was completely unuseable in direct sunlight. The 495 on the other hand looked even better in the direct sun because it has a transflective (rather than transmissive) display. If you have a low wing aircraft with a bubble canopy, this is going to be a show-stopper.

Looking for recommendations for a new GPS my old garmin 195 is getting very flakey ( technical term for not responding to button press and other faults).Needs to be readable in all light situations

perferably less than $750

moving map nice but not essential

easily read by older eyes.

Am considering garmin 196, Garm in 96c and Clear Prop's system.

Also interested in any comments on the airbox/aware system

any and all comments greatly appreciated

David h

Hihosland, I have a Garmin 96, maps on it are only 1 y/o, comes with yoke clip and a charging cord that I am about to sell. Have no use it for it any more since going to Ipad, it's as new and work A1.

If your interested let me know.

Dazza, I'm not sure about the Telstra doovey lacky as you call it. I know there were several of the 3G modems that worked as standalone access points, so as long as you had wifi on the ipad (I think all ipads have wifi) it should work.

However quick google search for a sierra 4G modem shows one that needs to be plugged into the usb port.

So to get it to work as an internet access point for your ipad, you'd have to change the usb device for one of those that act as access points.

Either like this:

or like this:

Guest Andys@coffs

Yeah but those devices to buy outright are more than the difference in cost between a non cellular and a cellular capable IPAD (where the cellular one has a GPS thrown in as well)

As said previously the IPAD can act as an Access Point as well (but its 3G only not 4G (at least Telstra version of 4G))

DazzaSo if the Sierra thing only connects by USB then no....however if you buy a Sim Cutter and adapter of ebay for about $6 you can then trim the current Telstra SIM down to micro SIM style and put it into an IPAD and you wont have to buy a 3G plan.(This is exactly what I did) Heres an example http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Micro-Sim-Card-Cutter-New-iPad-3-iPad-iPad-2-iPhone-4-4S-4G-w-Adapters-/320991561154?pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item4abc9685c2 (Note Aus ones cost a $ or 2 more but get here within a few days, the ones out of HK and China can take up to 2 months to get here!!!! Alternately most mobile shops have a sim cutter that they'll let you use, and the adpaters are also available but when I checked it was $10 for a single adapter......... Back at home the Ipad uses WiFi in the house in preference to 3G whenever it can....

At the same time the IPAD can then act as a WiFi Access point and if you want your laptop as well it can then connect to the ipad and use its 3G connection.....Or you can wip the microSIM out of the IPAD, into the adapter that came with the cutter and then back into the Sierrra USB dongle.....

Re USB question, yeah there is an adapter for about $4 (ebay) that provides a USB port and ports for various memory cards....but the catch is that the what you can do with the connection is very limited....... There are peripherals available that connect via Bluetooth where you might use a USB connection elsewhere (ie Keyboard etc)

Im liking it SoFar and while I dont have the level of control that I did with my Android Tablet Im finding that things in general just work and if not then theres either a free app or one for a $ or 2 that does what I want perfectly.

Andy

Thank you Andy

Hi Guys, I am not the best with the computor stuff.My Lap Top has a inbuilt modem .So while I am at home.I dont plug anything into my Lap top.It picks the home wireless Broad band internet. When I am at work out in the bush.I plug in my (in telstras words ) my "Bigpond USB 4G device". I guess it is the Bigpond Mobile Broadband Aerial/modem.

When I first turn it on at work. It goes through a start up mode, it thens shows me the signal strength.Next to the signal bars is the Next G logo.

I hope this explains it.051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Hi Zilbi, it is more like the bottom one.It is square all black, with the USB bit on the bottom.It has the Teltra T logo & 4G on one side.Below it, it says Sierra and underneath that it says Wireless.There is a little power LED light on it as well as a Data led light. On top it has two little squares that are External Antenna connectors.( I got this info from the manual).

Guest Howard Hughes
I thought you worked for them:wink:

Err... that would be a no!003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Have heard that some companies (airlines mostly) already have EFB approval for Ipads. We will only be using it as a back up to the onboard charts, the sticking point seems to be securing them in the aircraft! I for one can't wait to get rid of the old paper charts and already have my new flight bag picked out!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Guest Andys@coffs

Dazza the ones Zibi posted are standalone Access points the only thing that gets plugged in is their power adapter. They then act like your wireless router at home and your laptop (and other devices if you have them) connect to the internet through a WiFi connection. If you have a physical USB connector that has to be plugged in then it wont be either of these types.

I'm guessing its this one. http://www.telstra.com.au/business-enterprise/business-products/internet-data/devices/usb-4g/

Andy

Dazza the ones Zibi posted are standalone Access points the only thing that gets plugged in is their power adapter. They then act like your wireless router at home and your laptop (and other devices if you have them) connect to the internet through a WiFi connection. If you have a physical USB connector that has to be plugged in then it wont be either of these types.I'm guessing its this one. http://www.telstra.com.au/business-enterprise/business-products/internet-data/devices/usb-4g/

Andy

Thats it Andy.The first one on the page.Cheers

I use a Garmin Nuvi 255W in off road mode. Probably less then $200 now. It is NOT an aviation GPS, but you can select a destination and way points and it draws a pink line indicating your track. As you fly, you leave a blue track and it is easy to see how well you are maintaining track. It shows all the towns, roads etc. on a moving map. You can upload your track to Google Earth and view it there. If you want you can put in a point to indicate airspace boundary etc. Personally I think a map and compass with the electronics as a BACKUP is the way to go. It is easy to read and sunlight friendly.

• Haha 1

Dazza if you had a iPhone the problem would be solved by hotspoting the Ipad...you just need to buy a cheap Ipad then

but then again Iphone4 are really cheap now after the 4S and now the 5 you could probably get the iPhone 4 and a Ipad1 or 2 the lot would be 400 bucks or even less just look on Gumtree...half the price of a reasonable GPS

[quote="

I cant immediately see an advantage to not buying a 3G capable ipad (which has a GPS reciever built in)

Andy

David ,

I have a Garmin 196 and a 32GB 3G iPad loaded with OzRunways . I do not have an iphone. When at home I use the IPad via a router connected to my desktop , and when touring use the ipad 3G facility to check email , aviation forecasts etc. etc. I usually find that 1GB , at $20 , lasts over a month when touring , and I need not worry about finding a wifi signal. This setup suits me fine and the features in OzRunways are well documented .As previously posted , for about the same cost you get an IPad with all its features and another moving map , colour GPS with enough functions to satisfy even the most discerning .

Guest Howard Hughes
Dazza if you had a iPhone the problem would be solved by hotspoting the Ipad...you just need to buy a cheap Ipad thenbut then again Iphone4 are really cheap now after the 4S and now the 5 you could probably get the iPhone 4 and a Ipad1 or 2 the lot would be 400 bucks or even less just look on Gumtree...half the price of a reasonable GPS

Sounds complex for a 'simple' GPS!

Hi Zilbi, it is more like the bottom one.It is square all black, with the USB bit on the bottom.It has the Teltra T logo & 4G on one side.Below it, it says Sierra and underneath that it says Wireless.There is a little power LED light on it as well as a Data led light. On top it has two little squares that are External Antenna connectors.( I got this info from the manual).

Hi Dazza,

As others have mentioned, your options are:

- get a new connection for the Ipad (new sim card) - this one is obviously not what you want

- use the sim card that you have in the USB dongle in your ipad - there are 2 problems with this:

- Apple for some reason needs to be different than everyone else, so they built idevices with a slot for a smaller sim card than the rest, that means you'd have to cut some of the plastic from your sim card and probably render it unusable in your usb modem anymore (there may be adapters that would allow you to still use it, I haven't looked into this)

- you'd have to use your ipad as your internet provider when out in the bush, that means that you'd only get 3G speeds (ipads don't support 4G) but that shouldn't be too much of a problem as there's little 4G coverage outside of major cities, and from what I could see on my phone it tends to drain the battery rather rapidly.

- and now a bit of a positive - when flying you only have to worry about your ipad working

- swap your current usb modem for one of the ones that I've listed before and use them to get internet on both your laptop while working or your ipad while flying. The main downside of this is that you have to make sure you have 2 devices charged when flying (ipad and the modem). I'm not sure what plan you have with telstra and if it would be possible to swap your current device for a different one or how much price difference there is between them, so this option can come with some extra costs.

• Like 1

Guest Andys@coffs
- Apple for some reason needs to be different than everyone else, so they built idevices with a slot for a smaller sim card than the rest, that means you'd have to cut some of the plastic from your sim card and probably render it unusable in your usb modem anymore (there may be adapters that would allow you to still use it, I haven't looked into this).

Zibi, the ebay link I provided above is for the $5 cutter and adapters that does the cutdown of the SIM to MicroSIM and the ability to use the adapters to make the microSIM work in a device that needs a full sized SIM. It works thats exactly what I have used and the SIM with adapter then works back in my ZTE 3G USB Telstra modem if I need that.

- you'd have to use your ipad as your internet provider when out in the bush, that means that you'd only get 3G speeds (ipads don't support 4G) but that shouldn't be too much of a problem as there's little 4G coverage outside of major cities, and from what I could see on my phone it tends to drain the battery rather rapidly.

I suspect Dazza may well be on 2nd or 3rd device after this one before 4G gets to Roma.....In any event 3G or 4G neither are useful if the telco doesnt have the necessary backhaul bandwidth to support the higher bandwidth mobile technology. With NextGen running fibre backhaul for NBN there is still only a little of outback australia that has good backhaul bandwidth. wether 3G or 4G if there is only 10Mbps backhaul as soon as there is more than 1 concurrent connection using the bandwidth that the mobile device is capable of then people will see a real world slowdown.....

- swap your current usb modem for one of the ones that I've listed before and use them to get internet on both your laptop while working or your ipad while flying. The main downside of this is that you have to make sure you have 2 devices charged when flying (ipad and the modem). I'm not sure what plan you have with telstra and if it would be possible to swap your current device for a different one or how much price difference there is between them, so this option can come with some extra costs.

And as I said before, buying an AP 4G modem is going to cost more than the difference in price between a 3G capable iPAD and just a WiFi connected one (around $100 difference between 3G and just Wifi Ipads and the Telstra 4G AP is around $130 to buy outright last I checked) . Further the iPad is capable of acting as an AP itself so I struggle to understand why you would want added complexity when flying and multiple batteries to have to manage...... a 3G ipad (complete with its own GPS) with a single plug in charger or a heap of 12v chargers (at least 3, 1 for the ipad, 1 for the AP and the last for the Bluetooth GPS) plugged into a power strip plugged into the cigarette lighter......

Andy

• 1 month later...
Hihosland, I have a Garmin 96, maps on it are only 1 y/o, comes with yoke clip and a charging cord that I am about to sell. Have no use it for it any more since going to Ipad, it's as new and work A1.If your interested let me know.

How much do you want for it?