New Cheap(er..) Tecnam released

mAgNeToDrOp

They are E43K or AUD 52.5K and E48K or AUD 58.7K on today's rateSo the Australian importer will double that and sell them for around $120K?

Not sure about that FT, it probably should read that he will TRY to sell them for around $120k, but you're probably right. Looks good though.

Alan.

• Haha 1

Should be around $75,000 plus GST, possibly less but will vary from state to state. USA fly away price is $71,000 plus taxes so considering extra shipping distance pricing is good.

fly-tornado can take advantage of the factory door pricing and ferry back to Australia. No problem!!

They are E43K or AUD 52.5K and E48K or AUD 58.7K on today's rate

$82,500, thats a AUD$30K markup.

When I went to school 82,500 - 58,700 did not equal 30,000 - more like 23,800 but that does not make your point sound so good does it?

I have imported an aircraft from Europe and it costs alot more than you think.

I note the MTOW of the USA version is only 500kgs. i.e. 225kgs payload. I havn't looked at things like max rough air speed etc which SHOULD be looked at closely when buying an aircraft for Aus conditions.

Cheers

Thanks for your comments Mick. Most aviators are going to see the pricing on the USA news sites where the prices shown are before taxes as this varies from state to state. FT also forgets that we don't keep the GST, our friend Mr Swan grabs that very quickly, both on clearing customs(which we claim back every three months) and again when we sell the aircraft. So the price before GST was to compare Apples with Apples.

Shipping rates do vary and it depends on what you are prepared to pay. We have done the low cost route before only to have November containers, for example, spend over six weeks in Port Kelang while priority was given to the Christmas stock of major department stores in Australia. Chinese shipping companies offer good rates but with transhipments via mainland China ports. So we pay the extra dollars and get Italy - Australia direct. The most competitive and cheapest container route is between Europe and North America, which is why retail pricing is often lower in the USA for European aircraft compared to Australia. There are also hidden costs here. If AQIS decide a container is dirty on the outside, $150 to transport to the wash site, up to $200 for washing and $150 for transport back to the bond area. Since the wharfies locked an AQIS inspector in a container as a joke, AQIS can now ask for containers to be unloaded for inspection and repacked afterwards. Extra costs plus the need for an aviation person to supervise to prevent damage. (This unpacking of containers is guaranteed for anyone bringing in a second hand aircraft)

The Tecnam Classic Lite is a very basic entry level aircraft that goes back to Tecnam's original 1992 designs. The base aircraft starts at 270kg with one 45 litre tank in one wing (like the origional J3 Cub) and the customer can option up from there. Options, however add weight and the aim is entry level flying/training and not safaris over thousands of miles carrying the kitchen sink. It really is a return to grass roots pleasure flying. The original 80 hp Echo's probably have the finest flying characteristics of all the Tecnam models. (95 kts and 1000 fpm climb solo is quite respectable). Add to that low octane ULP for fuel instead of Premium ULP, every 10 cents per litre helps!

An Utralight MTOW of 500 kg will apply here in Australia for the Tecnam Classic Lite. The Max rough airspeed is 108 knots which exceeds the cruise speed and would only be encountered on descent, so not an issue in cruise. I think most of us slow down for comfort reasons in turbulence, even if the VNO allows higher speeds.

Thanks for your comments Mick. Most aviators are going to see the pricing on the USA news sites where the prices shown are before taxes as this varies from state to state. FT also forgets that we don't keep the GST, our friend Mr Swan grabs that very quickly, both on clearing customs(which we claim back every three months) and again when we sell the aircraft. So the price before GST was to compare Apples with Apples.Shipping rates do vary and it depends on what you are prepared to pay. We have done the low cost route before only to have November containers, for example, spend over six weeks in Port Kelang while priority was given to the Christmas stock of major department stores in Australia. Chinese shipping companies offer good rates but with transhipments via mainland China ports. So we pay the extra dollars and get Italy - Australia direct. The most competitive and cheapest container route is between Europe and North America, which is why retail pricing is often lower in the USA for European aircraft compared to Australia. There are also hidden costs here. If AQIS decide a container is dirty on the outside, $150 to transport to the wash site, up to $200 for washing and $150 for transport back to the bond area. Since the wharfies locked an AQIS inspector in a container as a joke, AQIS can now ask for containers to be unloaded for inspection and repacked afterwards. Extra costs plus the need for an aviation person to supervise to prevent damage. (This unpacking of containers is guaranteed for anyone bringing in a second hand aircraft)

The Tecnam Classic Lite is a very basic entry level aircraft that goes back to Tecnam's original 1992 designs. The base aircraft starts at 270kg with one 45 litre tank in one wing (like the origional J3 Cub) and the customer can option up from there. Options, however add weight and the aim is entry level flying/training and not safaris over thousands of miles carrying the kitchen sink. It really is a return to grass roots pleasure flying. The original 80 hp Echo's probably have the finest flying characteristics of all the Tecnam models. (95 kts and 1000 fpm climb solo is quite respectable). Add to that low octane ULP for fuel instead of Premium ULP, every 10 cents per litre helps!

An Utralight MTOW of 500 kg will apply here in Australia for the Tecnam Classic Lite. The Max rough airspeed is 108 knots which exceeds the cruise speed and would only be encountered on descent, so not an issue in cruise. I think most of us slow down for comfort reasons in turbulence, even if the VNO allows higher speeds.

Hi Bruce,

I used to think that the life of an aircraft importer was like rolling in clover! That was until I ended up broke trying to import a quality aircraft. That is why I now have more grey hairs than before.

Good luck with the new offering.

JG

I have to agree with Bruce. Shipping is also my biggest headache. Shipping companies, customs and quarantine all seem to make their own rules, but it's not just here. It seems to be international, port and export charges have doubled in France over the last 12 months. I surpose they have to balance their budget somehow.

Greg.

Guest Maj Millard

This is a welcome new model, and a wise move by Tecnam. Tecnams generally always have been at the 'top end' price wise for most people, and if this model can be kept at the lower end, I feel good sales will result. The P92 range always did offer the UL version, but probabily not competitive previously, pricewise. The 80hp 912 is a great engine and will be well suited to the training or personal-use enviorment.

Of course Tecnams are quality factory-built machines, and if the price is right this new model would be a great long-term investment......................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif