Recreational Rotary Licence

Nev25

I'm hearing talk about a Recreational class being introduced into helicopters

Including a new class of craft and a new Licence class

Anyone know anything or got any details

Asked a CASA guy about this last year, he vowed it would absolutely not happen on safety grounds.Guess it wouldn't help the RaAus fatality record any....

Was CASA saying that RAA pilots can't be trained to fly helicopters safely?

I wonder what the French experience is ???

Cheers

Vev

He insisted to me it would remain PPL(H). I don't think CASA care much about what works in other countries, they have their own little fiefdom here to regulate. But I'm interested if Nev has something very different?

Meanwhile best to get a H licence in NZ or USA I would suggest, never going to be cost effective here at least in the foreseeable future.

That's Vev Not Nev. I'm a foundation member of the keep away from crazy palm trees club. Nev

Just recently I got a chance to get a couple of hours in an R22 and had a ball ... I need count my pennies for more time.

Cheers

Vev

Was CASA saying that RAA pilots can't be trained to fly helicopters safely?I wonder what the French experience is ???

Cheers

Vev

Not much feedback yet, they were legalised last year and the first batch of pilots only really started flying this year. Time will tell.

The main reason I asked was I asked a Question on Rotary licence on an Australia Helicopter forum

After some not to the point answers I posted this pic and asked what Licence I would need to fly it.

After the Lectures on unlicensed Flying I got told Recreational Pilots are pests so Go away and annoy someone else (Not in as many words) and when I asked why in response I got my postings deleted (there not a friendly bunch over there).

One did say take a look at the new Part61 changes that CASA are introducing

Another said one would need a Private Copter licence to fly it

My point is as it would cost $30,000 upwards to obtain the licence why would one bother when a Fixed wing recreational Certificate could be obtained for around $5,000

A friend of mine who is a very experienced fixed wing pilot (also my original instructor) just got his PPL-H in 39 hours, the minimum possible.

Why would a recreational rotary licence take so much longer than that ?

(confused of Surrey)

Why would a recreational rotary licence take so much longer than that ?

Because there isn't one yet ??????

Hence the Question

50 hours I believe to get a private rotary Licence

Most charge around $500/h

Get the private rotary licence. If ever there is a RAAus equivalent the qualifications will transfer like they do with the fixed wing, glider etc. All the hours come over but some want 5 more hours of which one is solo minimum. I can put you in contact with a very experienced Robinson instructor. Choppers cost more to fly as they are a bit maintenance intensive... Nev

Get the private rotary licence. If ever there is a RAAus equivalent the qualifications will transfer like they do with the fixed wing, glider etc. All the hours come over but some want 5 more hours of which one is solo minimum. I can put you in contact with a very experienced Robinson instructor. Choppers cost more to fly as they are a bit maintenance intensive... Nev

Thanks Nev

But as I said

My point is as it would cost $30,000 upwards to obtain the licence why would one bother when a Fixed wing recreational Certificate could be obtained for around $5,000

And it seems that the rotary licenced Paternity don't want a Rec Class.... Nev25

But they are not anything like the same thing. IF you are a "chopper" person exclusively or primarily. The Paternity might be a little accident shy.

I did a survey of heli incidents in the late 60's and 27% of them were written off in the year in question. Nev

I can confirm that it is possible to get a microlight helicopter licence in New Zealand. Training for this is available on both the North and South Island.

Here is one of the NZ microlight choppers (ZK-IXE) called a Mosquito made from a kit produced by a Florida USA - based company.

\/ \/ \/ \/

.xenz.gif.b7f706ea090075c46fe599d68dd06537.gif

• Like 1

Have one of these mosquitos parked in my front yard at the minute, mate is enroute NT, he also happins to be Oz importer of these machines........it looks very nice. Complete kit around $35000.00. Pic coming.

• Informative 1