Recreational Rotary Licence

Nev25

Guest GraemeM
Have one of these mosquitos parked in my front yard at the minute, mate is enroute NT, he also happins to be Oz importer of these machines........it looks very nice. Complete kit around $35000.00. Pic coming.

If it has white socks it's a Dengue Mossie, swat it now.

Graeme.

Why would you want to get an RAAus cert. to fly a helicopter of any sort. Rather than a PPL(H)?What would be the advantage?

Cheaper? Less restrictive compliance environment? These are probably the questions that people have been considering. It works well in NZ.

The question that really should be asked is: WHY NOT?

• Agree 3

Why would you want to get an RAAus cert. to fly a helicopter of any sort. Rather than a PPL(H)?What would be the advantage?

About $20,000 for a start

• Agree 1

Hi Yenn,

May be a reduced medical requirement?

Cheers

Vev

• Agree 1

In France you can learn on an Kompress C77 at 240 euros per hour, compared to over 400/hr for an R22.

You can land on any piece of land where you have the owners permission.

The medical requirement is a letter of non contra-indication from your GP

Shall I go on ....?

How do you know what costs would be with RAAus as there would have to be a set of rules drawn up, registration etc to organise. All pie in the sky at the moment.

• 1 month later...
Well CASA Finally got back to me to sayUnofficially a Rotary Rec Licence will come into play 4/12/2013 and suggested I read

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_101368

But wow what a document??

That's good news for budding recreational rotor pilots! ...but this is only just now starting to fall in line with other countries that have had ultralight/microlight chopper operations for many years. I reckon CASA knew they were starting to be the odd one out in the Western world so that had to do something. I am glad they did act.

That's good news for budding recreational rotor pilots! ...but this is only just now starting to fall in line with other countries that have had ultralight/microlight chopper operations for many years. I reckon CASA knew they were starting to be the odd one out in the Western world so that had to do something. I am glad they did act.

Yeah But what are they starting

I cannot find any reference to what the requirements of such a licence or what sort of craft would be applicable to such a Licence

Its all very confusing

Do a search on the Magni M24. It's just like flying in a R22, however with recreational license and operations costs. A good compromise if you can't afford the costs of heli flying.

Isn't the Magni a gyro??

The Heli guys would have you hung an quartered for calling a gyro a heli

Was under the impression it was a different Licence

• Agree 1

Isn't the Magni a gyro??The Heli guys would have you hung an quartered for calling a gyro a heli

Was under the impression it was a different Licence

Yes mate. I was suggesting in my post above that it's a great alternative if money is tight. Flying it feels just like a R22 :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit late joining in on this one, someone might read it, but I am of the opinion that it is more the commercial fraternity and a certain Govt watchdog, or the people in it, ( you can guess which one) that has a set against amateur, private or recreational flyers, helicopter or otherwise. In a former life, I was tied up in helicopter contracts and operations for a Com Govt Dept for 15 years and it could and would get dirty, dishonest with heaps of sculduggery, back stabbing and any number of other underhanded occurrences in the process. Whilst in that job I got to CPL H, Ultralight cert, PPL fw and am now embarking on Gyro ( I now live down South). I was in a hanger in Darwin many years ago having a curious look at a 5/8 scale Hawker Hurricane being built by the ex CFI for the Darwin Aero Club. The machine was maticulously built, fastidious detail and workmanship. Also there was an inspector from 'that' Govt department having a look at progress, as well, and he said "While I hold down this position that thing will never get into the air". No reason given he just didn't want it flying. I came across this often. I was doing my cross country in a Drifter out of MKT with the CFI whom I had had several run ins with over other professional matters and it was indicated to me, whilst half way through the nav, that I should be very good today or I wasn't going to get my endorsement after he had said " I fight with you during the week and here I am having to fly with you on the weekends". It just doesn't need to be that way, with a little bit of effort we can all share the beautiful space we are so lucky to have in this country. I got the endorsement.

I had it said to me that recreational flying was blight on the airways because we were not subject to the massive costs incurred by the commercial sector. I owned my own GA fixed wing for ten years and often came across the disgruntled commercial operator who was less than happy with amateurs in the airways, let alone 'that' Govt Dept.

As for helicopter training, I have all my commercial requirements yet to get a PPL-H I have to undergo the BAK-H. Can't for the life of me think why except to just make it more difficult. I can tell you I am not a good student and the CPL ground school was the hardest thing I have had to do in the study dept. I got through it ok but jeez I had to work at it, plenty of sleepless nights and anxiety. I understand why there is a requirement for PPL-H to fly the sport/recreation helicopters having operated R22's for years, they are an exacting science. Helicopters are not for the untrained and I often doubted my ability to handle certain situations and feel that I could quite easily get deaded at the slightest error in the wrong place. They are unforgiving light rotor systems and I don't begin to imagine what some of the recreational helicopters would be like in an engine failure. The rotor rpm would wash off in miliseconds and if you didn't get the numbers right it will fail catastrophically and you with it. You have 1.2 seconds to get the collective to the floor in an R22 before you have lost your rotor speed, on engine failure. You have miliseconds to get the govenor off and start steering with the throttle on tail rotor failure. It ain't easy and many have come to grief trying to get their head round it. If your remotely close to the ground you have buckley's chance in a nut shell. Having said that, I would prefer to put a helicopter down in the scrub than a fixed wing.

Keep flying and keep safe.

Bigglesgreggles

• Informative 1