Sixty minutes report on Robinson Helicopter crashes.

A mate of mine who learnt in R22 and jet rangers told me it wasnt the tank splitting that was the issue it was when the rotors hit the ground the gearbox destroys itself and the bits puncture the fuel tank that is what mainly causes the fires..they need some sort of plate between the two to stop it

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I watched the program on TV!

I`ll point out, up front that I believe, anything that can "Reasonably" be done to improve safety, in any area, aviation or other, should be done. I also firmly believe, if we continue to look in the wrong place for the answer to any problem,we will never find it, or worse, we will find the wrong solution which could make the problem far worse. I`ll also point out, I`m not trying to defend CASA or anyone else.

Regardles of whether CASA did or did not act on the matter, to my knowledge, the fact that a crash in that particular type of helicopter, could cause a fire, has been well known for some time.

If the pilot/pilots, was/were, completely aware that a crash would probably rupture the fuel tank, thereby, causing a fatal fire, then in my opinion, the pilot had the choice to fly or not to fly. Whether the passengers were or were not, made aware of the situation, is another issue.

I have always and will continue to believe in personal responsibility. The buck, so to speak, has to stop somewhere.

Frank.

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

Guest Maj Millard

A shear bolt on a main drive line probabily would be about as popular as an exploding fuel tank..!!............some pilots who I have talked to about the whole problem, have just stated " Just keep them upright, and you don't have any problem" ...quote........but if you don't......??? how about a Kevlar blanket round the gearbox like that required on a drag cars gearbox ?................Maj...

I can attest to the fact it is the gearbox that shreads the tank. BUT, I also witnessed the OTHER tank being just as shreaded, but still having 20 ish litres of un Burt fuel in it after the fire was extinguished. Cleraly containment is the name of the game here. ?

Guest Maj Millard
Why?

Well because shear bolts have a habit of shearing when they shouldn't ?.....or, not shearing when they should........If a main rotor shaft bolt sheared at full power (lift off-transition) what would the motor do ?. Instant massive overspeed, which would Probabily destroy the engine, and what is the tail rotor drive doing at that time ?..........Maj...

If you want to protect some accessory to build a weakened point in the drive, is normal. It's usually part of a "quill" fitting in the shaft somewhere. This can "protect" some part, or you might contain the debris some other way. Mechanical complexity is a part of most Helicopter design. That is why they have a high maintenance level, but I wouldn't like fuel cells near shafts and in the cabin. Surely those tanks can be built like race cars that are virtually resistant to explosion in an accident situation. Nev

• Like 1