And away she goes....

Spin

This is likely to create some debate 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif, Jabiru USA have just got their prototype RV12, powered by an 85hp Jab, airborne for the first time. I don't pretend to know much about them, being more familiar with Lycosaurus and Rotax engines but it never fails to amaze me how different the perception of the Jab engines is in the US and SA (2 big markets) vs many people in Aus.

One thing I do know though, I far prefer the "face" of the Jab powered RV12:wink:

Images courtesy of Jabiru USA (via http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=66354&page=15)

RV12JabiruProject?feat=directlink#5618832584759407026

RV12JabiruProject?feat=directlink#5618833680910437186

• 5 months later...

What the, some guy changed a Rotax 912 for a Jab just because of the sound and that was after admitting the Rotaxs had an enviable reliability record ... and he changed it for a Jab??? There is no helping some people.

• Like 1

How many times have we heard it said "only in the good ol' USA" lol. I am really intrigued. Wonder what they will think about the NOISE when it stops. I know, Rotax's stop too but............

And what about the class action that Michael told us about (7 deaths behind engine failures in the good ol US of A ... the litigation capital of the world). What were Jab thinking when they started to sell there ...???

That's rather missing the point, there is a little matter of the approximately $10k price difference between a 2200 Jab and a 912 - and don't try the old saw about what price safety, a new Mercedes is much safer than my old ute, fact of the matter is I can't afford one and that is the difference between driving (flying) or not.

As regards the perception comment, I was referring to the reputation the equipment enjoys in other markets - and that is a reality. Many of us may harbour grave suspicions about Jab reliability, with some justification it seems, but this seems far less prevalent in the US and even less so in South Africa which has a large and active population of the creatures. I'm not sure that I would take the activities of plaintiff lawyers, particularly the US species as being representative of the general population.

• Like 1

As regards the perception comment, I was referring to the reputation the equipment enjoys in other markets - and that is a reality. Many of us may harbour grave suspicions about Jab reliability, with some justification it seems, but this seems far less prevalent in the US and even less so in South Africa which has a large and active population of the creatures. I'm not sure that I would take the activities of plaintiff lawyers, particularly the US species as being representative of the general population.

Not sure about South Africa Spin. from what I'm told after 1 season training they are ready for the scrap heap. Plane and engine. I know of one school that is looking at others to replace the Jabs as they are not lasting