Petrel Emergency Landing

Scotty 1

yeah saw that on NBN News tonight - must have landed heavily in the water for the damage. Wonder what stopped the engine? News said Instructor on board.

Flooded?

Only sank to the bottom wing. News said the "crash" was caused by engine failure. Of course the media don't always (never?) get it right.

Guest Michael Coates

Looks like a gear down landing as all the front window is smashed out and another i saw which did the same thing looked the same......

ahh... if you want to play on the water... get a boat !

I have seen a Youtube video of the seamax landing in water with the gear down, with no apparent problems.It was designed to be able to do that.I guess the Super petrel was not.( on youtube type it Seamax test).It will come up.I dont know how to put it on here.I put it on my FB page though .

Guest aviatrix27

When I was in America 2 years ago, a friend told me that if you need to ditch in water, you put your feet on the brakes - hard. The theory at least is that if the wheels aren't able to spin, they will act more like water skis. The friend told me that when he was in Canada, he saw students practicing touch & go's in water canals.