Descent into Queenstown, New Zealand.

Mick

Qantas took us for that ride a couple of years back. Cloud a bit higher on the day we went in though - just as we were about to enter the clouds i glanced out the window and could just make out the top of a mountain. The heart rate went through the roof!

Descent into Queenstown, New Zealand. Gotta have faith in your instruments and your proficiency to fly the approach....if descending into an undercast over mountainous terrain doesn't bother you too much.http://www.chonday.com/Videos/pilotnewzdalnd1

well thanks for that. I'm doing that flight next week. Should I ask for window or aisle?

Try that Milford sounds approach, our day, we had to get out onto ocean, drop down to 100ft ASL, then scoot into that fiord winding our way in, sheer vertical mountains about 4000ft either side of us, width of fiord about 500 metres , then land onto a medium lengthed runway that has no missed approach option, has you have become squeezed by 4000 ft mountains left, right, and straight in front of you. You are 100% committed.........loved it

• Informative 1

I flew a 172 out of Queenstown in 2010, we landed on the grass cross strip & even that was interesting. You can't see the strip until the end of base because of a hill. The instructor with me basically told me where to be for base and said as soon as you can see the strip it's time to turn final.

That was the best flight of my life, sight seeing amongst the mountains for an hour, great fun.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1