max weight for front seat pilot

shafs64

Nose heavy isn't unstable. It makes it hard to stall and if you come in slow you haven't much elevator authority. Just keep a bit more speed on. Tail heavy will kill you quicker.

I think the rear seat is still a bit forward of the C of G range. Wouldn't be much in it. Don't take my word for it though. I've heard of strapping lead near the rear. Weight at the extremities may adversely affect spin recovery..Nev

• Agree 1

I think the book covers it well in principle for max and min front seat weight. Nothing I say should imply acceptance of out of CG range operation. Tandem seats and fuselage fuel tanks should be regarded as more critical. Nev

I would have thought that, with each aircraft being different, a proper weight and balance should be done to calculate the proper max/min weights for each one.

A tandem two-seat glider will have a Wt & Bal placard in both cockppits detailing the Max/Min wts when flown solo and another showing the Max/Min on either seat when there is a known weight in the other seat.

The example is a Wt & Bal I did a while ago on a Puchacz that belonged to my club at the time. I have a GFA issued Wt & Bal Authority amongst other things.

Have a look at the Placards at the bottom of the page. Any aircraft can have similar loading placards generated by an authorised person.

Robert

Copy of GRI_120212_WT&BAL.pdf

• Agree 1

Some further thoughts.

All aircraft will have a maximum wt specified on the seat for structural reasons.

It may be the ability of the seat and associated mounting structure to support the load (pilot) in a heavy landing or crash. Or it may be the strength of the safety harness assembly to restrain the pilot in the same circumstances.

Referring to the example glider Wt & Bal, you will notice the placarded maximum pilot wts do not exceed 110Kg for this very reason. So, while the centre of gravity may be within the safe range with a very heavy pilot, the structure may not be able to support the weight safely.

Most gliders are designed with a max seat load of 110Kg, but a few are 115Kg and 120Kg.

The Drifter would be similar, I would expect. The designer must have factored in to the design of the structure the maximum loads on the seats. You can build something that will support a tonne on the seat, but the bloody thing would be too heavy to fly within our MTOW limit!

Does the Drifter not have a Type Data Sheet document or similar specifying Weight limits, CG position, 'G' limits, Speed limits etc? I've attached the Type Data Sheet for the Pooch as an example. I would not expect the Drifter's to be so involved 'though.

If it does, then the information will be published in that.

Hopefully I'm not boring everyone to tears! 072_teacher.gif.7912536ad0b89695f6408008328df571.gif 070_sleep.gif.1c8d367a0c12958f2106584470af404d.gif

Robert

EASA-TCDS-A.312_SZD--50--3_Puchacz-01-22032007.pdf

• Informative 1

• 1 month later...