2 engine failures at Mittagong?

Its ok. I found some reports on the RAaus website. It wasnt this week it was a couple of weeks ago.

Run of the mill valve seat failure etc.. Nothing new..500 hrs since overhaul. 1300 TT.

• Informative 2
  • Winner 1

They weren't on the same day about 3 weeks apart 2nd one was last Monday 5th. One from the Oaks the other from Wollongong both aircraft were over flying YMIG.

Yeah its starting to look like a Jabiru grave yard up here. All people involved are all safe. Engines are already out of both of them now. Been a interesting couple of weeks here at Mittagong one of aero club members was in the Cirrus that crashed in Lawson today.

Is there any word on the cause of the 2 jabiru engine failures?Just curious?

Safe flying

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Both were failures of the valve train. First one was due to the top valve spring retainer suffering from rapid wear, then detaching, allowing the valve to drop down into the cylinder. Engine remained at idle through to touchdown.

Second was due to a detached valve head, followed thirty seconds later by the engine stopping with a pretzel shaped Conrod after the valve head had smashed the piston into pieces. We were about 4 miles away from Mittagong at the time, but with sufficient height to setup for a safe dead stick landing. I don't know as yet whether the valve head detached first, or the valve stuck open and the head was then broken off by the piston.

Regards,

Bruce

• Like 1

Hi Bruce

Thanks for the update. I have suffered the same problem with my original motor a couple of years ago. I had the valve head break off and smash thru no 2 piston but my 6 cyl engine luckily kept running and I also made a safe landing at a nearby airfield. Glad to hear you made it safely.

Can I ask what type of Jab you have?

Safe Flying

Andrew

Hi BruceThanks for the update.........

Can I ask what type of Jab you have?

Safe Flying

Andrew

It is a factory built 230, which I cross hire from the owner.

2.5 years old, hollow pushrod hydraulic motor with 480 hours, used for owner's trips and our cross country training.

• Like 1

Bruce

I do like the 230's. I think I will upgrade to one of them one day. For now the SP6 is doing what I need it to do.

I hope you and the owner get the plane back in the air soon?

Safe flying

Andrew

• 5 weeks later...
BruceI do like the 230's. I think I will upgrade to one of them one day. For now the SP6 is doing what I need it to do.

I hope you and the owner get the plane back in the air soon?

Safe flying

Andrew

hey jabsp6 is that a taildragger the sp6 just curious as how they go for something different may hav to post this in the general jab area though