a better rotax?

geoffreywh

Browsing, as I am wont to do, I came across what has to be the best Rotax ever!.. 145hp @5500rpm! Have a look at Flygas.com , especially the little film.....Really interesting. And NO reliability issues with F.I. ......................I'd love the supercharger on my 0-200!....

Interesting concept and after doing a little research there sounds like some interesting motors are to come out in the near future hopefully, giving those who will be in the market for a motor a variety of choices.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a add on kitmto a standard Rotax either a 80 or 100 hp - The 100 hp must be decompressed to run the amount of boost shown.

What would ice the cake is the fuel injection with an intercooler.!

......................130hp @5500rpm! ....

... at sea level. At 5000 feet it will be 110hp and at 10,000 feet it will be 90hp, a fact of physics that can not be changed unless you have the ability to increase the blower's speed to compensate for the altitude change ... A turbocharger automatically compensates as the bulk of turbo installations already bleed off usable exhaust energy and as you go higher the turbo draws on that excess and simply spins faster.

Further lets say you are doing 4500 rpm and increase throttle to climb, while the blower offers you lets say 110hp at those rpms at sea level, with a turbo the loaded engine will offer more exhaust energy giving you full boost and at those same 4500 rpms you would have 120+hp.

These are facts of physics, not an opinion.

Supercharger can be a better choice for compact installations where heat and /or plumbing is an issue though.

• Informative 2

i had my first turbo charged rotax that put out 135hp 7 yrs ago, want more power 5 mins and you can have 180hp if you wanted, you can buy the whole engine ect ready to strap in for about 30k, the aftercooler isnt mounted yet in this photo, but yes it is a must to keep the intake temps down so as to stop predetonion, and obviously because of the heat no carb ice, so it fixes everything.

1566755952_(7)JPG.JPG.7d74b64f35de33acb1c8eac8c867dc6e.JPG

Superchargers offer adequate HP maintenance in the 0 - 10000 ft operating range for the average user but a turbo cannot be beat for the ability to create raw power. The biggest issue for one off type installation is to control the heat and mate the turbo to the installation. Superchargers are much simpler in this respect but do take power to run and loose output with height.

What I want is a push to go so my thinking is ton combine with the Airmaster electric C/S fixed is not a real option. The only input for the pilot is select the flight mode and push forward. What has shown in testing is the need to get the prop right and this is ongoing.

With a big bore and boost think about the poor case and crank but it would be a ask. You can fit a V8 into a Mini but can you live with it is the real question you have to ask yourself.

• Like 1

Have you looked at the Whirlwind prop for the Titan T-51? http://www.whirlwindaviation.com/props/100-4series.asp Available in electric or hydraulic control. No doubt they could make a fixed/ground adj version.

I'm not sure what the power output of this "Big bore" kit is but at $6000Au (less original cylinders & pistons of course) it seems good value without the technical problems of the supercharger ( room to fit/drive system/oil system/etc)

Anyway, my choice would be the kit over the charger......

1693cc

• Billet machined cylinders, not casted. Greater density and heat transfer

• Media blasted finish for better heat dispatchment

• Not sleeved like other EPApower / Silent Hektik kits

• Nikasil plated cylinders, will last forever. Same technology as OEM uses as well as all MC mfg.`s

• 14 cooling fins over stock 9 fins. Reports of 15c° lower CHT`s

• 200gr total weight savings due to light weight pistons

• JE custom forged race pistons. Lightweight and weight matched to +/- 1gram

• Nikasil cylinders allow for tighter cylinder/piston clearance and therefor almost NO oil burn

Billet machined cylinders, not casted.

That's good because racism is bad.

Nikasil plated cylinders, will last forever.

All those Nikasil replating places must be selling dope out the back door to make their living I'm guessing then.

What a stupid claim.

• 14 cooling fins over stock 9 fins. Reports of 15c° lower CHT`s

Debatable claim, had they said lower CHT's because of Nikasil plating offering better heat transfer I would have been more impressed.

200gr total weight savings due to light weight pistons

JE custom forged race pistons. Lightweight and weight matched to +/- 1gram

The forged pistons are lighter than the cast counterparts while having quite a bigger diameter? Not impossible but highly unlikely.

FWIW; Most match within 1 gram or less, not 2.

Nikasil cylinders allow for tighter cylinder/piston clearance and therefor almost NO oil burn

Yeah, nah.

Might be a great engine upgrade, I don't know, but the advert doesn't appear to be written by someone who knows their stuff too well.