F111 spin testing

M61A1

I found it interesting as well. I was an avtech in the 90s on the pig but didn't realise they did spin testing (in scale!) I think spin recovery from 200" subsonic hard ride TFR was unlikely (lol)..., otherwise from altitude they still have the bang handles imo.....lol

Magic aircraft, I miss it...

Guest Andys@coffs

well...it'd be in an interesting ride if you were going slow enough to stall....or the CADC's were U/S cause the probes should have prevented the TFR driving into a high speed stall I seem to remember......

1,6, 482 or 3ad? I played that game from 87 to 91 at 6 as a Radtecha

Re Cirrus.........Pig still had a BRS, it just had to shed the majority of the aircraft before the canopy was big enough for what was hangin!

Andy

I meant that according the footage, the F111 stopped rotation and recovered in one turn, admittedly the RoD would a bit higher. How many of aircrew actually got to pull the BRS handle on a pig?

Guest Andys@coffs

I remember crew at one post flight debrief suggesting that if TFR Hard ride 200ft screwed up they had just enough time to say the "Oh" part of "Oh Sh!t" providing that they could think fast enough to determine it was indeed an Oh Sh!t moment......

As to how many pulled the handle, I know at least one Australian crew did, and survived because the capsule became the 6sqn conversion course procedural trainer, it was mounted on a trolley and was often dragged out when ever there was a public access day, or a public air show

I remember crew at one post flight debrief suggesting that if TFR Hard ride 200ft screwed up they had just enough time to say the "Oh" part of "Oh Sh!t" providing that they could think fast enough to determine it was indeed an Oh Sh!t moment......As to how many pulled the handle, I know at least one Australian crew did, and survived because the capsule became the 6sqn conversion course procedural trainer, it was mounted on a trolley and was often dragged out when ever there was a public access day, or a public air show

Yes, things happen fast, on the only jolly I had, from pitching and joining downwind, to being on short final seemed happen very fast. On final the ground seemed to come up really bloody fast too. We once had to do an overstressed inspection after a hard pullup in Butterworth, apparently the pilot had his head down, the nav looked up from his VID and screamed, which made the pilot instantly react, causing a mild overstress. A few years later another crew were not so lucky.

From memory, there was a successful one in New Zealand after take-off. Apparently double-engine flame-out after ingesting water off the runway from the nose wheels. They modified the sidewalls of the tyres to deflect water down after this one.

I think over +4G involved an overstress inspection.

I was in Butterworth when we lost that one.

From memory, there was a successful one in New Zealand after take-off. Apparently double-engine flame-out after ingesting water off the runway from the nose wheels. They modified the sidewalls of the tyres to deflect water down after this one.I think over +4G involved an overstress inspection.

I was in Butterworth when we lost that one.

There was a nose wheel bay Mod carried out in the early eighties to allow more room inside the nose bay for the new tyres that had the water deflecting chines.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, there was a successful ejection from one in NZ. My instructor when I was a student on Macchis in 1982 was Mark Kelly (boogorah) who was one of the participants in the ejection. It occurred on the runway, during an aborted takeoff as described above.

As an F111 fixer, I found this interesting.....apparently the Pig recovers better than a Cirrus.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u11J1st6e0s

This doesn't seem to work directly but if you click on this link it will work but you have to type in the title straight into the youtube website's search bar.