another SA incident today, good ending this time

I'm a bit puzzled why you have to land a Jab in a paddock because of an open door - why not just close it [unless it was more then just an open door]. A different story in Beech A36/ Barron types as mentioned above - have heard it is possible by sideslipping towards the open door whilst trying to close it however that is hearsay as I haven't been present when it was done.

Have had good result in C152, 172,182,210,J160,J230, (all high wings), with this technique. Yaw away from open door while pushing it outwards - then reverse the yaw and pull hard on the door. Easier if pax is able to do the door closing.

happy days,

The pilot of the Jab that landed in the paddock was very new, in fact this may have been his first trip away as PIC (apart from navex). Anyways, he did mention on the news he feared the door might come off and cause real damage so he elected to make a precautionary landing.

• Like 1

The pilot of the Jab that landed in the paddock was very new, in fact this may have been his first trip away as PIC (apart from navex). Anyways, he did mention on the news he feared the door might come off and cause real damage so he elected to make a precautionary landing.

As usual, the more information you have the easier it is to understand how an event unfolded.

• Agree 2

This happened to me in a pa28 just after rotation. The main thing is to stay calm fly the plane and ignore the noise. Top latch did not secure. After reaching a safe alt opened air vent to equalise pressure or let incoming air out, slowed down, passenger relatched and we finished the navex. My instructor taught me this on another occasion so I guess it is fairly common in this particular aircraft. No problems with my Jab so far but always expect the unexpected is my motto.

Guest Andys@coffs

It reminds me of a relatively recent issue in the NT where a trike pilot took off without pining the front strut (that is the strut was in place but just didnt have the pip pin in the hole and capped ) and he noticed it wasn't in place when in flight. It's semi structural in the aircraft he was in, and the aircraft doesn't feel the same with it loose (bit sloppy and the pod might yaws around the wing a bit) , but at the end of the day it can still fly and land generally without issue, but may well want to fold up once on the ground if it dislodges from the mount (which because of the pipe that sits over the top of the join makes such an occurrence unlikely)

In the case in the NT its believed he panicked and then crashed.

Had he not seen the pin loose he may never have even known it was until the end of the day when it came time to put it away...

So...Keep calm and Pilot on....

Andy

Just fly the plane. The door isnt going to cause you any problems, other than some extra noise. What has killed people is diking around with the door when they should be just flying the thing. Hardly worth a prec landing, but, PIC made a decision and carried it out. Good on him.

My low wing aircraft canopy shuts from the low pressure behind it. The POH states you can open it in flight 4 inches if necesary eg smoke, heat etc..

I have opened it on the taxiway to cool things and with any revs on board its quiet difficult to hold open .

• Caution 1