Looking for training in SE QLD

jezanet

I live on the Gold Coast and have decided its time to follow a life long goal of learning how to fly. From my research a RA licence seems a good place to start.

I have found a few places in SE QLD that do training and would like to go and have a look around, I would appreciate any advice for a newbie with no experience or knowledge.

• Like 2

G'day mate, and welcome! I'm currently learning under RA-Aus too, with ambitions to fly commercially later on.

I fly at Pathfinder Aviation, out of YBAF, and they're a great school! So far I've got 23.5 hours with them and their aircraft are fabulous. The instructors and the CFI are all very welcoming. I remember how nervous I was on my TIF and they were fantastic in helping me through. I've also flown with Airsport Queensland, out at YBOA, and while their aircraft aren't as technologically advanced as the Cessna 162, it's still a great place to fly also. A bit cheaper than YBAF as well, if that helps, not to mention the scenery ;)

Mahl Oakes, up at YRED, is also a really nice CFI. While I haven't flown with him, I did have a discussion regarding changing schools after the storm last November destroyed two of Pathfinder's aircraft, and he was very welcoming to my situation and the conversion (which I never did end up doing). I'm also aware of a school up at Jacob's Well, but I haven't been there as yet.

Hope this helps :)

Oh, look, over the G20 it was ridiculous, but otherwise it's pretty good. I generally fly CTAF or the first couple hours of Class D, so I'm not in peak hour traffic, but even when I have flown in the afternoons (1300, 1400), it's still pretty quiet. For a metropolitan GA airport, anyway.

Thanks for the advise, I have been reading other posts and these were the 2 that I was most interested in, so thats good. I plan to pop out to each one and meet the guys and make a decision from there, Archerfield is a little closer so that's a benefit.

As for the one at Jacob's Well I did try to email and also use the contact us form on the site a few weeks ago and haven't heard back.

I live on the Gold Coast and have decided its time to follow a life long goal of learning how to fly. From my research a RA licence seems a good place to start.I have found a few places in SE QLD that do training and would like to go and have a look around, I would appreciate any advice for a newbie with no experience or knowledge.

Great work on making a start on your aviation journey! Best of luck with your training.

Ian and Dave at AIRSPORT QLD are fantastic instructors. Accommodating and always eager to pass on their knowledge gained over many years. The only reason I have stopped using them is that I have moved to Canberra - which is barren of RA schools etc....sigh

• Like 4

Ian and Dave at AIRSPORT QLD are fantastic instructors. Accommodating and always eager to pass on their knowledge gained over many years. The only reason I have stopped using them is that I have moved to Canberra - which is barren of RA schools etc....sigh

Yup I have been hiring aircraft from them since 1998.