Hand controls for 170 Jabiru

desmo55

Hi Trevor,

While I don't know of any specific hand-control setups for Jab's, a good place to start may be wheelies with wings at http://www.wheelieswithwings.com.au/

I believe that there was also a paraplegic guy who flew around Aus in a J230 - other forumites may be able to provide you with a name/contact.

Good luck!

Mal

• Informative 1

Why not approach Jabiru directly, I assume they would have assisted in preparing the J-230 for the trip around Oz and being the designer would be best placed to offer authoritive advice.

Hi , I did approach Jabiru but they said that they didn't do any hand controls or the fitting of and to talk to Dave Jacka who I already know well but his system is quite a lot more complex than what I would need being only a paraplegic but thanx for your input cheers Trev

• Like 1

Peter Pretorious here at Caboolture has a Whitman Tailwind he modified for hand controls. I think he did it himself

Peter Pretorious here at Caboolture has a Whitman Tailwind he modified for hand controls. I think he did it himself

Hi Kyle that would be great if I could get in contact with Peter would he mind if I asked him a few questions as to what he did Cheers Trev.

Desmo I have a removable rudder handle in the hornet. (Not sure how relevant to a jab) but it's not here at the minute but hopefully I will be bringing it home at the end of next Week and I will take a few photos for you.

The idea was to set it up so my cousin could also fly it using just hand controls, the only thing we haven't really sorted out is an effective hand operated differential braking system (being a tailwheel that is sort of important (-: ). But other than that it seems to work well, to swap over all I have to do is pull a pin out of the throttle handle and insert the rudder handle which is also linked to the throttle so it is pretty simple.

Anyway I'll try and get some pics and maybe even a short video next weekend

Desmo I have a removable rudder handle in the hornet. (Not sure how relevant to a jab) but it's not here at the minute but hopefully I will be bringing it home at the end of next Week and I will take a few photos for you.The idea was to set it up so my cousin could also fly it using just hand controls, the only thing we haven't really sorted out is an effective hand operated differential braking system (being a tailwheel that is sort of important (-: ). But other than that it seems to work well, to swap over all I have to do is pull a pin out of the throttle handle and insert the rudder handle which is also linked to the throttle so it is pretty simple.

Anyway I'll try and get some pics and maybe even a short video next weekend

Thanks very much SDQDI for the info I look forward to the pics or video I have seen a set up on utube but it was all in Portuguese so I couldn't understand it

. Cheers Trev.

Hi there the Name is Trevor Mclaren Im just wondering if anyone has any info about hand controls that could be fitted to a 170 jabiru that can be removed relatively easily?

Desmo55.... sounds like you're a ducati fan......

which controls do you need to be altered? Hand rudder of course. If you have hand rudder then your hand is not available for the throttle. I made sip'n'puff throttle for David (passenger side still works normally) Electric actuator for trim, which was the easy one. David has air for the brakes, but you shouldn't need that. Flap up and down buttons are on the hand rudder. No alteration on the elevator/ ailerons stick. It really isn't difficult

which controls do you need to be altered? Hand rudder of course. If you have hand rudder then your hand is not available for the throttle. I made sip'n'puff throttle for David (passenger side still works normally) Electric actuator for trim, which was the easy one. David has air for the brakes, but you shouldn't need that. Flap up and down buttons are on the hand rudder. No alteration on the elevator/ ailerons stick. It really isn't difficult

Hi Geoffrey,

I did my training in the Foxbat from wheelies with wings I don't know if you are familiar with the throttle set up which is combined with the rudder controls, but the jabiru is the reverse in controls configuration being the club trainer that would flying I would need the controls to be removable so able bodied people can use it do you think that would be possible? Trev.