Aviation Meteorology Books

Hi all,

In relation Recreational flying; I'd like to get some opinions on which of the two books listed below is better.

'Manual of Aviation Meteorology' - Bureau of Meteorology

'Meteorology and Navigation' - Aviation Theory Centre

Please feel free to list any others that I should consider.

Thanks

Bob Tait would be the best starting point and then for the more advanced, the Manual of Met IMO. Tait is a little easier in the earlier stages to get your head around the concepts. Bob Taits PPL Book covers all the 7 subjects in a good amount of detail for a noncommercial pilot, but you can buy the stand alone Met book as well

You can't know too much about the weather. Northern hemisphere is not the same. Do it at a level above what you need. I used glider references as they go into it . BOM would be a good start It isn't just a matter of passing the exam. The air is the medium you fly in, and learn to read the signs from clouds for instance. Nev

Hi all,In relation Recreational flying; I'd like to get some opinions on which of the two books listed below is better.

'Manual of Aviation Meteorology' - Bureau of Meteorology

'Meteorology and Navigation' - Aviation Theory Centre

Please feel free to list any others that I should consider.

Thanks

Hi SkyHigh,

I have the 'Manual of Aviation Meteorology' by the Bureau of Meteorology, and found it a reasonable level. I guess it depends on your background - I had done some meteorology as part of my university course (although that was decades ago!), but it meant I had at least come across some of the terms and concepts before (gotta love that saturated adiabatic lapse rate 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif).

I always find reading such books twice is a good idea as there always seem to be things at the end that would have been good to know to help understanding at the beginning!

Just take your time and do it in small bites....

Good luck,

Neil

I found the ATC one was good, one concept built on the last, etc. Can't comment on the other 2. I liked the Bob Tait one for the PPL test.

if you decide on the ATC one, I'll sell you mine for a good deal, just PM me

• 1 year later...