Recommended stay en route to Ayers Rock

Boaty

Hi guys,

I am planning a trip from Mittagong to Ayers Rock and back so looking for some recommendations for overnight stays on the way there and back. The wife is coming along so would like to find some nice accommodation. Have previously stayed at Broken Hill, Arkaroola, William Creek so wouldn't mind somewhere different. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Wayne

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

I stayed at Cooberpedy on the way to the Rock.

Plenty of accomodation at reasonable prices,

Give yourself a bit of time to have a look around, worth it IMHO.

Just in case you are not aware, Ayes Rock requires payment etc. prior.

Enjoy your trip

PHIL.

Someone said on this site somewhere, that they landed at Curtain Springs enroute.Another possibility, but remote.

Phil

I stayed at Curtin Springs in August and enjoyed the ambience of their dongas and outback pub

http://www.curtinsprings.com/

Lot of history there and the Severin family is very friendly.

The old fella, Peter Severin, settled it in the 1950's and established the watering hole for the first trickle of tourists heading out to the Rock. His son runs the place now but Peter is still very active. He picked me up from the airstrip in his Mercedes!

Kaz

I was through Curtin Springs last May and stayed 2 nights - did the Mt Connor tour.

I endorse Kaz's comments.

Strip is OK but be careful parking. There were some old tiedowns north of the shed/hangar.

YCSP is fairly close to Ayer's Rock but is probably a better (cheaper) place to stay.

A bit north of the direct track are Tibboburra, Innaminka (and the 'Dig Tree') and Birdsville (but then it is a fairly long trip over the desert to Oodnadatta, etc.

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Agree 1

I stayed at Cooberpedy on the way to the Rock.Plenty of accomodation at reasonable prices,

Give yourself a bit of time to have a look around, worth it IMHO.

Just in case you are not aware, Ayes Rock requires payment etc. prior.

Enjoy your trip

PHIL.

Does Coober Pedy have a taxi now?? Didn't when I was there last time, long way to town. Interesting underground motels. Famous pizza restaurant.

Curtain Springs is an ideal base for the 'Rock'. Right price, friendly atmosphere, not so upmarket as Uluru, near enough but not too near...

JG

• Agree 1

I stayed in the Underground Motel and the lovely partner of the owner picked me up from the airstrip in her car following my phone call to notify my arrival.

Very pleasant place to spend a night and a big steak and chips place within walking distance.

Kaz

Does Coober Pedy have a taxi now?? Didn't when I was there last time, long way to town. Interesting underground motels. Famous pizza restaurant.Curtain Springs is an ideal base for the 'Rock'. Right price, friendly atmosphere, not so upmarket as Uluru, near enough but not too near...

JG

Motel picked us up from airport, as most do.

.....it is a fairly long trip over the desert to Oodnadatta, etc.

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Beware no Avgas at YOOD now which is a real bummer because it lies pretty much on track to Alice from William Creek.

Kaz

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys,

I stayed at Curtin Springs once before on another trip. We ended up flying from Mittagong to Broken Hill for lunch and fuel then over Wilpena Pound, Painted Hills and up to William Creek. Stayed in their Pelican Suite dongas which were ok (better than the rooms out back of the hotel that we stayed in previously). Next day was on to Ayers Rock. Spent a couple of days there then a day up at Kings Ck Station, Kings Canyon and flying around the md ranges. The weather was starting to turn at home so we checked out early a flew from Ayers Rock to Mt Connor (Curtin Springs) straight to very top of Lake Eyre, down the middle of it to Maree (didn't see a drop of water!) then Broken Hill and all the way home to Mittagong (over 1200nm that day!).

Coober Pedy Airstrip to town isn't that far. Ularu is expensive... really! Curtin Springs isn't far from Ularu I think the strip is named after Connellan at Ularu. Wilpena pound is worth a look as far as the geography is concerned. Why not go west from Melbourne- Kingston- Goolwa and up the Sturt? highway Keep east of Adelaide. Nev