Hangar space utilisation

Admin

I saw what I think is the best utilisation of hangar space that you could get down at Tyabb recently. They have a hangar that has doors on both sides and pillars running down the middle of the hangar. This way the aircraft go in nose to tail and with doors on both sides means you don't need to move an aircraft to get any one of them out - see attached layout.

Anyone have any comments on this design and also any suggestions on who would be the best people to get a hangar kit made in this layout - best price etc

untitled.JPG.b1ae1f1b4fe14bc688bfdcbf3d82d83b.JPG

Eastmeg - what's the general width of a trike wing? Also, perhaps you don't need as many pillars down the middle - it would all come down to cost in terms of cost per metre of span.

Just looking at it roughly it would say be about 36m x 10m = 360sqm to comfortably fit 6 aircraft with each one having their own sliding hangar door - how does that equate to a normal hangar of about 360sqm - how many aircraft could you fit into that size normal hangar - just curious if this layout is more economical in terms of space. Although, with this layout you would need access from both sides but then if you put these types of hangars parallel to each other it would be even more economical in space with a taxiway between the hangars. The added advantage is that you can always "addon" extra modules to the end as the need increases. Just rambling thoughts

I'll be interested to hear what people come up with. A local airport here is getting a new hangar. It will be 113 metres by 60 metres by 3. Yes, you did hear correctly. Should fit something like 100 aircraft! We'll need to come up with a way to arrange the aircraft before too many move in.

A local airport here is getting a new hangar. It will be 113 metres by 60 metres by 3. Yes, you did hear correctly. Should fit something like 100 aircraft!

OMG! that sounds like hanger-rash city.....

Attached is a design drawn up to scale for reasonably sized aircraft

If you alternated the trikes nose to tail it looks like you would have less wasted space, and maybe get an extra one in?

One design i saw that caught my attention was a circular type that housed three aircraft in seperate pie slice areas with two outward opening doors for each. a storage area was in the centre for each.

ozzie

Here is another idea that you see in the 'classic' aircraft fraternity in the US when space is at a premium, that you don't see here. I have seen aircraft (J3's in fact) that are stored nose down like this on a triangular dolly, with castors that enable the aircraft to be slid out sideways from a 'stack' of several.

Hanger

I though I might put a few pic,s of a new Hanger in Mildura it’s a bit different The post’s in the bays are off set so the plane’s go in the same as Ian’s first Drawing. Holds 10 aircraft with room to spare. This hanger has been built and put up buy volunteers of the Mildura Sport Aviation Club.

318814961_HangerMSA014.thumb.jpg.9f09e9095744da91364e8a9bc77375ab.jpg

1482518983_HangerMSA021.jpg.6f320a4842d3bc0acaebdb3a3436b11e.jpg

1644279557_ROOMTOSPARE.jpg.b51540f450ca453d8e22ccd505c19fbd.jpg

714804655_TopandTail.jpg.5b19ab40f2de6e67bfb39c6c71d23af8.jpg

432746547_HangerMSA003.thumb.jpg.79f203293ef07783be38915e32901eae.jpg

Guest disperse

i haven't put any math's into this yet. but how would height offset go .... say 2ft .....ie. the wings could overlap and thus bring the width needed down.

i may ponder this a little

We manage to get 3 fully rigged trikes into our 12m x 8m hangar.

One of the 12m sides is the doors with the opening probably a bit over 11m. The extra 1m width allows us to offset the trikes about 1ft from the hangar centre line so that the 2nd trike in noses up to the rear undercarriage strut on one side of the 1st trike in and likewise with the 3rd trike. We also loop the rear seatbelt around the control bar of each trike to tilt the wing noses down to get the wings that close together without clashing.

I'd estimate that the 1st trike takes 2m x 10m and each trike after that needs another 3m x 10m, plus the offset from the hangars centre line.

If you're thinking of building a long hangar 5m x (n x 10m), you may not need 10m for each column of trikes as the wings could overlap approx 2m by tiliting them in the roll axis a bit, eg, rear seatbelt around one end of the control bar.

You may have also noticed that trikes can fit in closely amongst 3 axis aircraft due to their wings being mounted much higher.

Hope this gives you some (new) ideas.

Cheers,

Glen

In reference to the first post. If space (land area) was tight, then you might want to go that way. But I think the kit type hangars are the most cost effective. http://www.ranbuild.com.au/hangar.htm

Custom designs require individual engineering and this costs $$$$

I also doubt you will need centre beams for only 12 metres or so spread.

Possibly, the modification of a standard kit, where you replace the back with another front (if you follow me...to give doors on both sides), would be the closest and most cost effective to your design.

Regards,

RJ Mitchell

I also doubt you will need centre beams for only 12 metres or so spread.

My kit-built hangar is 12m wide by 9m deep, has no internal supports, and is hurricane rated, but it does have rear supports which I suppose would be the centre supports on a longer version, or are they just there to hang the cladding on? (excuse me, but as a builder I make an excellent pianist)

• 1 month later...

Garry has finished the prototype plane stacker.

It seems like a great way to utilize that spare space above your plane.

He thinks a block and tackle with chain would be better than electric. Easy enough to do.

This one has the tail-dragger extension fitted.

[ATTACH]4171.vB[/ATTACH]

P1010488.jpg.f0625e491cdf469e83e6060078cb4aa5.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=3607&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1193433982attachment.php?attachmentid=3606&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1193433982

i saw these in Italy, simply made to the profile of the aircraft. the front folds down in two sections. a dog box for the tail and a heavy fabric door. these are for the Firefox, a Drifter type, simple steel frame bolted together then cladded. easy to relocate. the smaller box in forgrund houses a trike base.

full size photos in Italy Redone thread.

ozzie

Southern Cross Gliding Club at Camden NSW built a hanger like the one described by Ian about 15 years ago. I guess it is still there. The glider wings overlapped for even better stacking. Gliders sit with one wing up and one down of course.

Phil