Turkish Shoot down

willedoo

Some reports say that they may have been merely seventeen seconds in Turkish airspace. Those Turks are fast talkers as they reckon they warned the Russians ten times about them straying over the border.

The newspaper today said the Americans believe the plane was hit on the Syrian side of the border, going by their heat signature analysis. The missile was possibly launched in Turkey, but with the Turkish territory being only 4 klm or so wide, it seems like some very bad judgement by the Turks.

It will be interesting to see the results of the UN investigation into the incident. The rescued navigator, Captain Konstantin Murakhtin, is adamant that he had control of the flight path at all times and they were never inTurkish airspace. He claims the F-16 invaded Syrian airspace to shoot them down, and that the Turkish pilots issued no warnings. I wonder how hard it would be to determine the actual flight path.

Interview with the Navigator:

aThat reminds me of what Secretary of State, John Kerry, said in relation to Crimea being annexed to Russia after an overwhelming referendum from the Crimean people. It still stands out in World history as a territory gained with just one life lost (a trigger happy Ukrainian). It is impossible to gain such a territory without there being a fight unless the people in Crimea wanted to be loosed from Ukraine which did little for Crimea.

Then John Kerry said this:

"You just don't in the 21st century behave in 19th century fashion by invading another country on a completely trumped up pre-text"

The United States would never do such a "19th century" thing "on a completely trumped up pre-text", would they?

I guess Crimea is a bit off topic to the thread, but I could never figure out some of the press reports at the time. We were hearing all about a Russian 'Invasion' as if Russian troops were pouring into Crimea. They were already there under the military base lease agreement with Ukraine. I forget the figures, but there was something like 16,000 in the Crimea with a maximum of 20 something thousand allowed under the agreement. I guess if they left their bases to operate in Crimea at large, that could be seen as an invasion by some.

Krushev should never have taken it off Russia and given it to Ukraine in the first place.

The body of the Russian pilot, Oleg Peshkov, has been repatriated, flown home with an honour guard of fighters. The 'moderate opposition forces' that allegedly shot him dead under his chute canopy must have handed his body over to Turkey, and home from there. That's nice of them; good old moderates - let's give them more guns.

Here's an account of the rescue mission to retrieve the navigator:

https://www.rt.com/news/323527-details-su24-pilot-rescue/