Hangar prices

Admin

I am moving my flying base from Riddells Creek to Wallan here in Vic but need to build a hangar. Any suggestions on what shed suppliers are the best to go to?

Thanks!

Ian

I built a 5 roller door shed on my place which I sourced from Ranbuild after doing an evaluation of most suppliers around here. I am happy with the result, but it didn't matter which supplier, it always pays to check or have them include 1 or 2 additional rows of purlins to strengthen the walls and make sure they include for the thick sheeting. When they are competing on price alone, which most shed buyers seem to do, the suppliers appear to all be tempted to go to minimums on these 2 items.

Ranbuild's brochure and website shows their hangars.

Regards Geoff

My parents built a Ranbuild 40x30ft a few years back in which I built my Jab. It was the most economical and best design of what they looked at at the time.

G'day Ian

I suppose the question is cost, convenience and strength and what degree of each is most important to you. I went through this process about 2 years ago and found the most difficult task was to get a well-priced shed with cyclone ratings and someone to build it. I noticed that as soon as the shed changed to a 'hangar' the price seemed to go up drastically. This change in terminology usually revolved around an open span of 12m and hangar doors. In the end, I ended up getting help to build it from relatives and a shed builder, used crusher dust mixed in with cement for the floor and used a centre mullion design with 2 x 5.5 metre roller doors. The whole process ended up being a series of compromises, but I ended up getting a good priced shed, with a reasonable amount of strength and a fair amount of convenience. All up, with footings, 3 roller doors, colorbond and labour, the hangar cost $27000. The shed size is 12x12 with a 4m lean-to, so 12 x 16m. I bought the shed through http://www.shedsonline.com.au

Hope this helps

gav

shedsonline.jpg.c94c27605f42df3ccb5bd9d73d3bbdbb.jpg

Ian,

I am going through this exercise at the moment also.

I am looking at a 10m x 7m x 3m high open front shed to house a small ultralight.

I have found that my local timber truss maker can supply a 10m length truss which his design program says will work at 1.2m spacing. These are only $160 each.

These can be bolted to the top of 50x50mm steel posts and appropriately cross braced with steel strapping in the roof and walls, along with steel "top hat" purlins and steel corrugated sheeting to make a strong shed. If second hand iron is used the cost could be around $2000 without doors.

Centre mullion roller doors could be the way to go. Simple and relatively cheap.

I was really suprised at the low cost when I priced it.

Phil

Myself and Garry Morgan both bought hangars from a mob called ASI in Queensland, This was NOT a good idea.

Mechanically the sheds are OK (the doors are a bit dodgey though), but the company is hopeless to deal with, especially after they have all your money!

Mine is 24m deep by 18 wide (as is Garry's), but I asked for a 3m awning on the side, and it almost doubled the price, to say nothing of how much it confused their engineers. 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

With hangar, awning and block enclosure on two slabs, I think my bill is somewhere near $70,000 so far. :ah_oh:

Arthur.

Hi Ian, just going through the same motions as you and ranbuild seem to have a fair product at a reasonable price, 10 x 12 x 3.6 for under $30,000 concreted floor included.Brian

I'm not in your part of the world, but my similarly sized hanger cost $21,000 including concrete, passenger door, ridge seal, and four doors (to make the outriggers smaller). It was built by a small local outfit and I am totally pleased with it.

That was an excellent price, my price is about $27,000 and is about the best that i have found around here so far, as Gavinl pointed out, as soon as hangar is mentioned out comes the big calculator, I like the door set up that Gavin has as well, no outriggers, although a coule of roller door might be dearer than a couple of sliders.

Brian

Just an update on my hangar, follow this link to my new Flickr photo host for a quick detail of building my hangar.

The site's a bit buggy, but I think it will display the photo's in the right order, will now have to have a look at my LR-2 building site to see if it came across from Yahoo...?

This is the 'front' page, to read texts under pictures press Detail.

Arthur.

Under Italy redone thread in Trips there are a couple of photos for simple "profile" hangers.

easy to build and easy to relocate.

Ozzie