Mail Online article about a new book on the DH Vampire

The article has a few editorial errors regrettably, in subject and syntax. One sayng that the Acceleration was not that good, and following this with the statement lower down the page saying tht the Acceleration was 'Generous' ? ?

The worst 'Boo Boo' being the video at the end showing what is purported to be a DH Vampire, but is obviously a USAF Propeller driven Lightning. . . They do not seem to have any aviation savvy copywriters at the DM. OR, they slapped it together in a hurry !

Some nice pictures though.

Pictures show iconic British fighter jet the Vampire | Daily Mail Online

Caption on video: "...flying above the clouds in the sky."

The P38 is BELOW the clouds.

Where else would clouds be but in the sky???? Tautology!

• Haha 1

Caption on video: "...flying above the clouds in the sky."The P38 is BELOW the clouds.

Where else would clouds be but in the sky???? Tautology!

Peter, I've no doubt that any of us here could have collated, edited and constructed that article in a far more professional manner. . .and we're only Amateurs !

I had to giggle a bit at the 'Descriptions' of photographs which you are looking at anyway, good for those unsighted readers I guess. . .'Here we see a smashed up plane on the ground on fire with it's tail intact,. . Er, yeah, . . .I can See that mate. . . but at least Sometimes these DM historical pieces are quite good, with the people in the photographs actually named, which needs a bit of research and good editing. But others,. . .well, after all, this IS an advertisement for a Book release really,. . .perhaps the author didn't bung them enough ? . . .

The most thought provoking part I thought was the mention of the two Vampire collision at an air show, where Both pilots ejected, but the Navigators didn't or couldn't. . . and were helpless witnesses to their own doom. . . Very Sad that.

Some more black and whites for my Archive anyhow. .

Peter, I'm sure I posted a short video clip not long ago, showing a Vampire taking off from EGBO Halfpenny Green Airport, near Wolverhampton UK, ( Gareth Lacy Country ! ) and tearing up large pieces of tarmac as it accelerated along Rwy 10. . . if I didn't,. .. then I'll try to find it. It was early 2017 at a 'Wings and Wheels' event. . .but with time dilation,. . it Could have been 2016 !

Love this bit of editorial brilliance ... not! What about the colour?[ATTACH=full]52370[/ATTACH]

I ignored that Peter,. . .as I KNEW what they meant,. . .sloppy editing again by the Daily Fail. . . .

Well, may have to get the book.. All time fave aircraft (I have a thing for twin taoil boom aircraft - when they scrapped the IPEC Argosies that were based at Essendon (from memory), I was devastated)...

Probably going to join this group once a few short term things coming up do actually occur.. Vampire Preservation Group - Home Page

And this is very tempting... May have to part with the XC90.... De Havilland T22 Naval Vampire | eBay

• Like 1

Well, may have to get the book.. All time fave aircraft (I have a thing for twin taoil boom aircraft - when they scrapped the IPEC Argosies that were based at Essendon (from memory), I was devastated)...Probably going to join this group once a few short term things coming up do actually occur.. Vampire Preservation Group - Home Page

And this is very tempting... May have to part with the XC90.... De Havilland T22 Naval Vampire | eBay

Jerry,

You say: "when they scrapped the IPEC Argosies that were based at Essendon (from memory), I was devastated)"

A younger George used to wonder at those same IPEC Argosies when at Launceston Airport (or was it called an "Aerodrome" then).

And now such are relegated to memories, or such as they may still be.

Georgy Peorgy.

I used to watch Vampires taking off at Edinburgh Turnhouse airport and wondered if gear up was selected as part of pre take-off checks so that as soon as the weight came off the squat switches the wheels retracted. That was how quick it looked!