Nice Picture from days gone by. . .

Six Avro Vulcan B.2 aircraft of No 617 squadron ( Remember them ? ) and six Handley Page Victor B.2 aircraft of either No 100 or No 139 Squadron (from RAF Witttering) lined up at RAF Scampton. These Vulcans and Victors are painted in their 'anti-flash' white paint-scheme.

Night all, sleep well.

1369708923_SixavroB2Vulcansof617Sqn.jpg.d4ba4512ed163f4b6d74b3e3393c4f0c.jpg

• Like 4
  • More 1

I certainly do remember them , the Victor and Valiant too . As a kid I seem to remember almost every time I saw a plane trailing it had that distinctive delta wing plan form .. such great memories ..

Dave C

Here's something interesting. I googled "V Bombers" and one of the first photos to come up is what appears, at first glance, to be Phil's photo in reverse. However, looking closely, the vehicles and personnel in front of the planes are different. The image is obviously reversed, but what are the chances?

1834241588_vbombers.JPG.be80d27db78b8b9a8cfa6210f772eb60.JPG

• Informative 1

Here's something interesting. I googled "V Bombers" and one of the first photos to come up is what appears, at first glance, to be Phil's photo in reverse. However, looking closely, the vehicles and personnel in front of the planes are different. The image is obviously reversed, but what are the chances?[ATTACH=full]53406[/ATTACH]

Maybe earlier when they were setting up. The nose wheels of closest two are turned in your image and straightened up in Phil's. Cheers Mike

The thing is, whether facing left or facing right, the Vulcans are closest to the camera, so they weren't shooting from opposite ends. Each aircraft would have to have been turned around individually to face the opposite direction. That's why I say one of the images is printed in reverse.

• More 1

The thing is, whether facing left or facing right, the Vulcans are closest to the camera, so they weren't shooting from opposite ends. Each aircraft would have to have been turned around individually to face the opposite direction. That's why I say one of the images is printed in reverse.

You are correct . Your photo is in the correct orientation as shown in the just discernible serial on the tailplane of the closest Vulcan . The serials comprised of 2 Letters followed by 3 letters , such as XM558 . In Phil’s photo it appears the serials are reversed with the numbers first , so it proves that your photo is the correct aspect . Also the second Vulcan in the lineup seems to be missing the nose probe , this appears to be the case in both shots , so it proves to be a reversal .

Dave C

Here's something interesting. I googled "V Bombers" and one of the first photos to come up is what appears, at first glance, to be Phil's photo in reverse. However, looking closely, the vehicles and personnel in front of the planes are different. The image is obviously reversed, but what are the chances? ]

They obviously took a few frames of the same line there Peter, . . and I've landed at RAF Scampton on a number f occasions but not for about 15 years so I can't really recall the layout of the dispersals. It's apparent that our pictures have been flipped horizontally, but not having access to a ZOOMABLE HD image, I dunno which one is the correct way around !