Light sports plane down near Batchelor NT.

Hi everybody.Thanks so much for the comments of support and encouragement. That's what you get sharing your story with other aviators rather than non-flyers.

What frustrated me yesterday was the local media reporting of our spectacular 'crash'. A local radio channel apparently reported that we had miraculously survived (and I didn't hear this myself) when the aircraft had fallen from the sky or flown into the ground inverted, as shown in the picture! Of course the flip had only occurred at low speed when the wheels stuck in mud at the end of the landing roll. Understandably, we had relatives seriously worried for our lives... Also we were reported to have 'injuries' or 'minor' injuries. We were both unharmed by the incident and I just drove us home after the misadventure. Its unfair how our sport is tarnished by this sensationalism.

Anyway gripe over.

On the issue of STOL raised by nicephotog, I'd consider my own Murphy Rebel a serious STOL bush aircraft, designed and built for the Canadian outback. Funnily enough, I currently have on order some 29 inch Alaskan bush tyres to be fitted to it. If they had arrived and been fitted before Sunday they almost certainly would have prevented my rollover on landing. However, they weigh 15kg each and if they had been fitted its likely the weight and drag would have compromised that lengthy glide to the clearing we pulled off. We might have dropped into the bush. I'd rather take the roll-over than fly my wife into trees.

Have been in touch with the insurers and plans are afoot for the recovery. Its going to be a bit of an adventure getting to the landing site at this time of year and getting the aircraft out.

Cheers

Alan

I have been looking at that Rebel as it has been for sale for a while by someone from NSW, how long have you had it. Sorry about the plane, good about you and " the old girl" Barry, Perth WA

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree wholeheartedly with the comments made here about the importance of this incident in relation to the development of the flight crew - good old CRM...You are going to have the best possible crew member sitting alongside you and there is no doubt in my mind that this has strengthened that relationship, both in the air and on the groundMany (dare I say it - ok, female, there, I did it...) crew members would have walked away from aviation after such a scare and you would not have blamed them one bit

As Ducky says in all his posts - Clear Skies and Tail Winds to you pair - oh yeah, and a moving propellor would be nice......

BP

I have been looking at that Rebel as it has been for sale for a while by someone from NSW, how long have you had it. Sorry about the plane, good about you and " the old girl" Barry, Perth WA

Hiya

Bought the Rebel in Jan 2016, so have had it a couple of years now. Excellent aircraft, although always been wary of the temperamental non-standard motor.

I’m not sure why it was never taken down off aviation advertiser after it was sold to me.

This aircraft is necessarily grounded and going through inspection. I’m hoping it will be rejoining the fleet shortly, with a more suitable engine for serious bush flying.

Cheers

Alan

Let is know what caused your engine failure. The radial looks and sounds very period for your type of plane. I've done quite a few hours in a Rebel. It will lift quite a bit of weight. Nev

Facthunter, I will of course update on the engine failure when I have news.

I’m sure all will appreciate since there is an insurance process underway I can’t say too much until that is settled.

Yep, the Rebel has been pretty much the perfect airframe for our bush flying needs.

Alan