Low cost ADS-B options for VFR aircraft

OK. They're incredibly useful for any sort of RF electronics that requires trim in situ. like that. Interesting design they have there, also. looks very cost effective to manufacture.

Aussie company ? hard for aussie companies....unless you export hard..... anyway if you need me to find anything for you, can do. sounds like you were pretty resourceful in this case. I'd probably solder in a piece of 1/16" coax !

There is a lot of components under that pcb plus 2 batteries as well. It's an american company Uavionix. We export the product we make at work. The freight costs are enormous now since Covid and everything is so slow too .. delayed shipments etc. I havent done much with those connectors mainly all larger stuff

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post but it is the only reference I find of the SW-20 connector. @Kyle Communications
were you, and where were you able to find the connector? I’m trying to add an external antenna too. 

I checked Mouser and Digikey and had no luck with searching for SW-20

Edited by CodeOfLife

Went for a fly this morning and took along my new Sky Echo 2. I haven’t set up a mounting bracket, so just dropped it into the storage bin next to my elbow. There’s not enough traffic around to test it out; can anyone tell me if it’s data will pass thru my plywood fuselage?

32 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

Went for a fly this morning and took along my new Sky Echo 2. I haven’t set up a mounting bracket, so just dropped it into the storage bin next to my elbow. There’s not enough traffic around to test it out; can anyone tell me if it’s data will pass thru my plywood fuselage?

Hey Old K, you should be able to check the ADSB-IN function even on the ground, right?.  As long as it's line of sight, I've found you can pick up traffic (esp. high flying airliners) even 50NM away or more.  I'd have thought you'd easily see all the traffic (airline, charter etc) flying over and into the Tamworth area - even sitting at home. You could use Flightradar 24 as a check (keeping in mind, of course, that SE2 - unlike FR24 - is limited to what's locally visible). 

And I reckon you could check if the plywood is blocking signals just by sitting in the cockpit on the ground and moving the device around.  As to the ADSB-OUT part, you could have someone on the ground check if you turn up on FR24 (assuming there's a receiver feed in your area.)  BTW have you tried the (supplied) suction cap mount on the windscreen? Works well for me.

2 hours ago, Garfly said:

Hey Old K, you should be able to check the ADSB-IN function even on the ground, right?.  As long as it's line of sight, I've found you can pick up traffic (esp. high flying airliners) even 50NM away or more.  I'd have thought you'd easily see all the traffic (airline, charter etc) flying over and into the Tamworth area - even sitting at home. You could use Flightradar 24 as a check (keeping in mind, of course, that SE2 - unlike FR24 - is limited to what's locally visible). 

And I reckon you could check if the plywood is blocking signals just by sitting in the cockpit on the ground and moving the device around.  As to the ADSB-OUT part, you could have someone on the ground check if you turn up on FR24 (assuming there's a receiver feed in your area.)  BTW have you tried the (supplied) suction cap mount on the windscreen? Works well for me.

Thanks Garfly. Will try those ideas. It came with a suction cup, but I was never a fan of them- ugly, unreliable and block your view. Besides, I have no windows anywhere near flat enough to get a seal.

I hope to use the quick-release fitting to mount it somewhere convenient.

14 hours ago, CodeOfLife said:

I know this is an old post but it is the only reference I find of the SW-20 connector. @Kyle Communications
were you, and where were you able to find the connector? I’m trying to add an external antenna too. 

I checked Mouser and Digikey and had no luck with searching for SW-20

That connector as a add on clip connector is not available. The next size up is. I got a couple of the 24 size I think it was ...but too big. There is no coax tail for that one. Only the test port plug which they use to push in when they test the unit. The easiest way will be bypass the connector on the pcb with some micro surgury with your own coax tail. Thats what i am going to do with mine. I havent done it yet and I dont have a aircraft finished yet to fly but hopefully soon. Its just another add to my long list of jobs 😞

On 10/3/2022 at 1:06 PM, Garfly said:

Hey Old K, you should be able to check the ADSB-IN function even on the ground, right?.  As long as it's line of sight, I've found you can pick up traffic (esp. high flying airliners) even 50NM away or more.  I'd have thought you'd easily see all the traffic (airline, charter etc) flying over and into the Tamworth area - even sitting at home. You could use Flightradar 24 as a check (keeping in mind, of course, that SE2 - unlike FR24 - is limited to what's locally visible)…

Where have all the jets gone? Our skies have been devoid of them recently.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/3/2022 at 6:11 PM, RFguy said:

Plywood , wont bother it. nor fibreglass up to say 3mm.

The steel roof of my house doesn’t seem to stop its signal either- unless a bit is leaking in via windows.

Interesting experiment is to turn SE2 off while tracking an ADSB-2 aircraft on OzRunways. The icon keeps travelling for twenty seconds, then slowly fades away (like an Old Soldier).