Wavenet ABR-DM01 radio

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience with the Wavenet ABR-DM01 radio?

https://store.swiftavionics.com.au/wavenet-abr-dm01-vhf-radio-transceiver/

Seems very keenly priced (suspiciously so?)

We are looking at replacing the old microairs in our glider fleet, and maybe a Jab with something dual watch, and more reliable.  The company has been around for years, but I can't say I've heard of the radios before.

Any experience would be good to know.

Thanks,

Jason

This is a knockoff radio made by Nigel Andrews who originally did the engineering for Microair and I think some original work for  XCOM in the very early days on the design if my memory serves me correctly. From what I was told he spent a couple of years marketing the design around the  globe trying to get a buyer and I believe it is now made in Turkey or Ukraine, I honestly can't remember.

You will see it has identical display to the Microair (e.g. the exact same LCD), just a few of the buttons on the front display are slightly different as they have replaced the silver toggle switches which the original Microair had.

It is a shame that it has no audio output for a glider speaker, looks like you have to wear a headset ?

• Like 1

no idea, I was just looking at the specs and there is no audio output. No mention of being able to run a speaker in the specifications which is something I would have expected if it was a feature. Perhaps they just copied and pasted from another advertisement for a different product, who knows ?

• Like 1

Thanks Guys,

If we take it further, I'll confirm with the distributor before ordering.  I was thinking that we could add an amp if necessary.  Still a little concerned that if it is a 5 year old radio (according to the Spanish manufacturer), there is not a lot of talk about it.

The only reason to change to 8.33 spacing is congestion. We only changed to 25khz 15 years ago & even then it was barely a necessity with 50khz remaining in more remote areas. At the time the change was considered 80% of respondents to a survey supported the change mainly due to the fact that their radios already supported 25khz spacing. This provides 760 channels, more than enough to ensure no conflicts anywhere given the VHF range even at it's extreme. Europe is the only place in the world where 8.33 khz and therefore 2280 channels is mandated. It is permitted in other countries but not required. Some sections of the spectrum in the US are reserved for specific use but GA is still 25khz spacing there so they don't seem to have congestion issues. 

There is no necessity or plan to change in Australia.

I'd like to see some comments from anyone who has used one of these Wavenet radios which are switchable from 8.33 to 25khz. 8.33 has all the 25khz channels anyway & I imagine the switch is to make it easier to tune without having to go through 3 times as many channels. Although the Microair has a poor reputation mine works fine and has done for 8 years. I like the fact that it is small and light, can monitor 2 frequencies at the same time, has a 100 channel memory and a built in intercom. If the Wavenet proved to be as good I'd certainly consider it if my M760 bites the dust as the price is certainly right.

I just checked the website which says designed and made in Spain. Cost 1049 Euros plus country tax (VAT,GST) from Aircraft Spruce Europe.

Edited by kgwilson
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1