Any Rans S14 owners out ther

I am coming back to the dark side and going RAA again, I am purchasing an S14 and would like any input from other operators of same. Being single seat I am going to have to teach myself its nuances with help from the owners notes.

hoping to have it back at home in a month or two.

cheers

Hi Clinton….I’m not a S14 owner sorry, (S-20) but I am curious to know your motivation to return to RAA.

Lower cost of flying/ownership, freedoms, medicals, reduced bureaucracy, other?

Hi Roger,

I have owned a 182 for 6 years, first year 26hrs, second, 18, third 12, fourth 6, fifth 5, this year 1hr. the cheapest ever annual was 4k and change, hanger is 4k pa, fuel at moment is 1200 to fill tanks at a 55lph burn, just to go for coffee run 100km away, insurance 4500pa. Its just got too expensive to justify. The rans is 17lph of premium, plus castrol 2TT in a 4Lt tank. I am going back to an aquaintences farm to fly and store at a few buck a month storage.

I loved flying the 182, it was like my childhood dream to own and fly a "real aeroplane", but it is a financial nightmare just to keep up with all the obligations. I can no longer be honest with myself and say its justified.

At the end i have some fond memories with my kids in it, photos of flying it around and i can say yes i achieved something i set out to do.

Flying should become fun again instead of heartburn inducing thinking about it

cheers

clinton

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Your C182 story will sadly become all too common as 100LL marches towards $4ltr, by Xmas I reckon! I expect numerous gas guzzlers to hit the market in the coming months, will be a buyers market! 
good luck back on the dark side👍

• Like 2

Last time I checked avgas price had not effected C182 values. You should at least make a capital gain from six years ago. S14 will be fun to fly, simple aircraft like the  Rans or a Thruster, Drifter are the go for fun flying. Join an aero club that has a C172 and you can still take the family occasionally. Best of both worlds.  

• Like 1