New turbine

BrendAn

The website won't let me paste a link but just google heron turbine engines. 130 HP turboprop supposed to be available later this year. 40k us is expensive but 3000 hrs tbo and 7k for overhaul. 

Edited by BrendAn

Too much "teaser" marketing, and a total lack of company information or information about the people behind the project, to give it much weight at present.

You might as well throw your spare coin into some upstart cryptocurrency, instead of laying down deposit money for a Heron turboprop, the risk is about the same level.

Nothing in their advertising or website even reveals where they're located, but the phone number country code indicates Greece. Massive secrecy about your corporate structure, location and operations isn't a good look.

https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/news/2021/03/09/start-up-enginemaker-testing-130-shp-mini-turboprop-engine/

3 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Too much "teaser" marketing, and a total lack of company information or information about the people behind the project, to give it much weight at present.

You might as well throw your spare coin into some upstart cryptocurrency, instead of laying down deposit money for a Heron turboprop, the risk is about the same level.

Nothing in their advertising or website even reveals where they're located, but the phone number country code indicates Greece. Massive secrecy about your corporate structure, location and operations isn't a good look.

https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/news/2021/03/09/start-up-enginemaker-testing-130-shp-mini-turboprop-engine/

Seems to be normal for startup engine companies.  They are supposed to be in production some time this year. Looks like a good option for some applications if they succeed. There is one fitted to a bristell for testing.

If I had a dollar for every aviation startup that "will be in production this year", I'd be a rich man. Many have promised to be in production for decades, and still have little to show for all the hype.

There's no new, groundbreaking technology in the Heron engine - just a smaller version of the big turboprops.

Despite the hype and glitzy marketing, it's the things these companies constantly fail to mention - as regards certification, long-term reliability testing, and fuel economy - that you have to ask awkward questions about - and get real answers.

No turboprop engine has ever been produced that could be called "fuel efficient", and fuel efficiency is what gains you sales in todays world.

• Like 1

I used to work for a company that was developing a radical new product and was very secretive about what it was doing. When it was finally announce to the world, it was amusing (and a little frustrating) to see lots of on-line comments to the effect that it wasn’t possible and all the images and videos were ‘obviously’ fake… 🙄

p.s. I have to add that some people put lots of money into it, but while it was good, it wasn’t the raging success that they expected so none of them have made their money back, and they’re never likely too either. Such is the way of development. 🙁

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Even though WE lust for the perfect motor constantly, it will always be a small market with extreme differences in how it's installed and operated.  We also like to blame the engine when it's often not the fault of the engine. Fit and forget might do for an airconditioner but even a lawn mower might hit a metal spike first time out. A backfire can impose huge loads on an IC motor which can emerge later as a failure. Aero motors more than any other must be as light as possible.  Nev

• Like 2

2 hours ago, onetrack said:

If I had a dollar for every aviation startup that "will be in production this year", I'd be a rich man. Many have promised to be in production for decades, and still have little to show for all the hype.

There's no new, groundbreaking technology in the Heron engine - just a smaller version of the big turboprops.

Despite the hype and glitzy marketing, it's the things these companies constantly fail to mention - as regards certification, long-term reliability testing, and fuel economy - that you have to ask awkward questions about - and get real answers.

No turboprop engine has ever been produced that could be called "fuel efficient", and fuel efficiency is what gains you sales in todays world.

I don't think there is any mention of ground breaking technology . They might just get to market, we will know by the end of the year. 40lph might be okay in a fast airframe . It is a small market unless they win a drone contract . I know they will more than likely get nowhere but just once I would like to see one of these companies succeed. 

• Like 2

All the investment in propulsion seems to be going into electric vehicles. Road going anyway. Completely useless for Australia but the greens are forcing it. And the labour gov need their support.