Do your glasses/sunglasses hurt your temple while flying? (Experiment for college project)

janesmith

Hi, I'm a college student and I need to find a problem with something I am passionate about and come up with a solution for my entrepreneurial class.  I was wondering if anyone else has this problem?

If you are a pilot and wear glasses or sunglasses maybe you have this problem too!  When I fly with my glasses or just sunglasses, my headset pushes my glasses into the side of my head and gives me little bruises (its just painful in general).  My solution would be to create sunglasses and prescription glasses that have a soft/thin comfortable temple of the glasses.  This is purely for a experiment/project I wont actually be creating this product.  I just thought it would be helpful to poll some actual aviators and get your input! 

Is this a problem you have?  Would you buy this product?  Is there something like this that already exists?

Thanks so much for any input!

It doesn't impact me however my glasses have lightweight flat metal arms. So no not personally.

Straight arm glasses exist for aviatiors

And helmets with integrated visors, that way you get head protection and oxygen as well

250px-NASA_helmet_for_T-38_Speyer_front_

No but I have this problem when mowing on our large Iseki SF300 mower which is very noisy and my Grade 5 earmuffs have quite a strong headband clamping force. I have never been sure why but now realise it is the arms of my glasses & Sunnie's.

In the 1990's there was a product available - a thin band of foam that slid over the arm of the glasses that had tapered sides to form a seal between headset foam seal and skin/glasses.  The headset gel seals are much better at conforming, so I have not needed them for years.  The product was very simple, but expensive for what it was, simply because of the small market.

I have that problem, but more with safety glasses and hearing protection. When flying for extended times, it becomes a nuisance and requires the sunglasses (arms) to be moved up off the ears to ease the pressure.