Lower tail boom doubler/patch

USADrifter

Drifters are not common in the US and I have been viewing as many online photos as possible to get ideas on how other Drifters are configured.

I have noticed that many have a rounded patch/doubler installed on the underside of the end of the fuselage boom - it appears to strengthen the tailwheel and vertical stab post areas.

Can you guys tell me if this was a factory/kit piece or was it the result of a service bulletin? Anyone have experience installing one - any do's or don'ts?

My airplane is a '97 Austflight SB kit and does not have the mod. It is developing the beginning of a small crack where the boom wraps and rivets to the vertical tail post so I assume the addition of a doubler is a wise move.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

G`Day USADrifter,

I have an original Austflight certified twin seat Drifter and it has the piece on the underside of the boom that you are refering to,in my case it is made of stainless steel and is effective in it application.

To my knowledge it was an addition required for the certification of the aircraft,over here in Australia.

Cheers,

Frank. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Maj Millard

Don't have plans or drawings per se but might be able to get some photos to you. Aussie Drifters also had large strengthening fillets where the boom enters the fwd floor pan area, which made them a lot stronger also . Does your's have those ?......024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

No.. I'm the second owner. The kit was imported in 1997 and ass'd in the US. Although I have reviewed all of the Drifter safety bulletins, I don't think the airplane ever received any mods or doublers. Photos would be most welcome. If a measure could be snuck into the shots for scale that would be most appreciated. Thanks for the reply!

Guest High Plains Drifter
'97 Austflight SB kit

Whats happening out at Dalby ? Any mod plans would be there i guess.

Guest Juliette Lima
The new Drifter folks do not answer my emails. Wayne Fisher has also not replied.

Hi USA Drifter,

I will call Wayne Fisher today and see if I can communicate your request....Wayne is now a one man show spreading his time between flight training, repairs, kit assembly and survival in increasingly difficult times.

Cheers

JL

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi ken,

Called Wayne and talked about your problem....he knows of the problem in SB Drifters and indicated the crack will increase fairly quickly unless the mod is fitted.

He suggested you email him with a heading 'Drifter Repair' as he is receiving a lot of spam which is deleted without opening......he does not recall seeing your email.

Hope this helps.

JL

PS. He is only too happy to help and says he has a few customers in the States.....not sure about the Dalby guys, last time I spoke with them, "things were on Hold".

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I have these from a fly in... don't know whose aircraft, maybe of use. I would recommend (although the factory didn't do it) using a good quality epoxy primer on both the doubler and fuselage, and maybe some sealant in between for good measure. I am in the process of rebuilding a drifter, and everywhere there is stainless or steel against aluminium, there was dissimilar metal corrosion.

1639687728_95-10001.jpg.c7053f806032634d732d32a5e261d098.jpg

1728750463_95-10003.jpg.5dce7540568610530511c292456520ec.jpg

2125279303_95-10004.jpg.1ab0ff5000811aa24ae98a11dbeba923.jpg