Flight Sim question?

Guest Rocko

Ok, I admit it. I bought Flight Sim X.

Of course, it wasn't quite as simple as I thought.

First I bought the program.

Then I realised my joystick was sucky, so bought a super duper joystick and throttle.

(No, not a yoke. I play other games too, y'know ;)

Then my PC was sucky running it.

So I spent $1000 and upgraded my PC (It needed it. Honest! So I keep telling myself! ;)

Now I feel like a bit of a geek.

A big geek, in fact.

Albiet a geek with Flight Sim X, a nice joystick and throttle, and a really nice PC, which is a whiz-bang with Solitaire and emails ;)

So, to the question this geek had.

Joystick rudders don't work well. It's like trying to thread spaghetti onto a spork.

(Yes, the analogy makes absolutely no sense, but nor does the money I spent on this thing so far ;)

So, has anyone played with the Saitek or CH rudder peddals?

Do they work well?

Do they feel or respond even remotely realistically?

Or are they just nasty?

Any suggestions?

Oh, and Flight Sim X is a really cool game!

I've managed to crash things into other things I've never even dreamed of before ;)

It's the really, REALLY strange things you can do in it, that are really amusing...

Like flying a lear jet...on the ground...up the mountains in Antarctica (Brakes don't work there, you see ;)

Flying an aerobatic plane down the car lanes of the Golden Gate Bridge

Or, even more entertaining, flying through the grand canyon ;)

And, of course, crashing a 747 into the Sphinx ;>

All vastly useful training stuff :)

Guest basscheffers

The hardest thing I find is elevator trim. Something you barely think about flying a real airplane; you pull or push on the level, pressure goes away, done. Of course it ain't so simple with a stick that wants to go back to the center all the time. So you have to slowly let it move back while you press the trim buttons.

Rudders seem to work OK.

I use X-Plane on my Mac, though - no FSX.

Rocko,

I only use a Saitek Cyborg evo Joystick with flight sim x and find the twist rudder system great. I set up the sensitivity and turned of the auto rudder and now I can get the edge to knife edge of a full twist and find it very easy to use small amounts for general flying aswell. What type of Joystick did you get?

Guest The Tote

I have the saitek pedals and could not recommend the more highly, if you have the money go out and get them.:big_grin:

I use all Saitek products (cause the Clear Prop shop has them 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif):

Saitek Yoke and Throttle Quadrant

Saitek Rudder Pedals

Saitek Cyborg Evo Force Feedback Joystick

Saitek Cyborg Keyboard

Saitek GM3200 Mouse

I use to have the CH pedals and yoke as well

The only thing with pedals is that you need to make sure they stay still - I have 4 nails driven into the floor around the sides of the pedals (not through them) to hold them still - it is worse on a bare wooden floor

The rudder control assignments have been removed from the joystick in flight sim so they don't react against the pedals

The brake assignments have been altered in flight sim for the pedals - a common problem with saitek pedals is that the brakes are always on unless you just simply change the assignment once and then no problems - it is in their FAQ

The yoke comes with a little white board box on top of it for writing ATC commands on and soon they will be releasing an enhancement box as an optional extra that displays the current state of your trim, flaps etc.

One thing that I haven't installed however I do have one currently in stock in Clear Prop is the Saitek X52 Flight Control System (http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/x52.htm) - not sure how these go but I guess it would be great for stick aircraft flying.

If anyone in Melb wants to have a go on my flight sim with 3 monitors installed then please just let me know and you can come over.

Guest Baphomet

My 2c. I've spent many many,,,,(too many) hrs flying on-line in the Sturmovik series WWII air combat game. I currently use the CH products Joystick, quadrant and rudder pedals. The Saitek products work well, but I know of players who have worn out 3 Saitek sticks in the time I've had mine. So, if you want something that can stand the heat of battle and LAST, then CH is a good choice. If you want maximum programability and don't fly every day, then Saitek is worth considering. In either case, floor based rudder pedals is the way to go.

FSX is pretty awesome. I've been an FS fan since 95.

I use the Saitek X45 Hotas set up. The rudder on it is placed behind the throttle quadrant. It works ok, but is a touch too stiff, which means it's difficult to have precise rudder control. The saitek sticks are awesome I must say, love the trim wheels and the milliong possible button configs (slight exagerration, but I don't have a need to use the keyboard when in FSX).

I've tried the saitek rudder pedals as well and they seem to work quite well. CH rudder pedals have been out for ages and seem to be tried and true, so go with them if you want a full proof product.

Rocko mate, if you are like me and treasure your marriage stay away from the FSX :black_eye:!!!! But then again you may be better off !!!!! My wife is very understanding, I just needed to remind her that if dont fly simulators then its the real deal or a new expensive giant scale RC plane. She somehow never complained after that.

Just for info Harvey Norman computer stores sell the CH pedals, so if you want to try before you buy give em a go. Check first with your local store to see if in stock. (Aud $200 roughly, so internet purchase would be better).

My 2 c.

Phil

Fly safe.

Saitek X52 is nice :)

I actually bought the Saitek X52 (standard, not the pro, which was just too much $$$) instead of the yoke system because 1. I fly stick, not yoke, so thought it'd be a bit more compatable ;) and 2. I play plenty of other stuff as well, and the yoke is a little single-purpose. Do I like it? Oooh yeah. The Pro felt a little more solid, but the throttle on the X52 is damn nice, and it programs pretty well. And BUTTONS!! Damn, if my ultralight had a control stick with that many buttons, I wouldn't need rudders...or a panel...or anything else ;> All don on the stick! ;>

it's a little daunting getting it set up the first time, and I have honestly no idea how to program it (Being a peson who uses something for a while, BEFORE deciding to read the manual ;) but I'm pretty impressed with it.

I just find the twist rudder nasty. It could well be a sensitivity thing, which I'll try changing, but I tend to wallow back and forward landing when using it like a pig on crack.

Grinz at Ian...I also stuck in dual crosslinked vid cards...4 monitors as an option.

But that'd just be silly. I only have 2!! ;>

Incredibly, amazingly cool...but silly ;>

Then again, the plan is to shortly connect it to my home theatre and either play with it on the 42inch Full HD LCD, or much more tempting, the LCD projector.

I REALLY want to see what it looks like via the HD wall projector, 3 meters across ;>

Just waiting for the HD cable to arrive.

Oh, and I'm single. Heck, if I was married, I'd be crucified by now! ;>

It is interesting just how different it is to real flying. While it's fun to do, without all the touchy-feelie feedback from a real aircraft, it is just so...non-touchy-feelie ;)

So, I thought some good feedback on he pedals before hitting Ian up for a set seemed a good idea.

Why stop now...just when I'm broke and destitute ;>

Scotty

How much for freight?

Actually, Ian, I gather they're fairly heavy. How much on top is freight on the things?

Ipswich, Qld, 4305

And another question, for anyone who knows. Is there any reason the Pro Flight throttle quadrant cannot be used as well as the X52, if it's programmable. I can certainly see how having lever controls for flaps, etc, would be nice.

Scotty

It is interesting just how different it is to real flying. While it's fun to do, without all the touchy-feelie feedback from a real aircraft, it is just so...non-touchy-feelie ;)

Ha! Well said that man.exclamation.gif.7a55ce2d2271ca43a14cd3ca0997ad91.gifexclamation.gif.15cca54a67cbd47ca3b5897bbc7b8e75.gifexclamation.gif.7a55ce2d2271ca43a14cd3ca0997ad91.gif

'Non-touchy-feelie' should be listed in the Concise Oxford Dictionary - it says it all.

Sorry mate, I cant help you with the quadrant and stick ... that my friend enters the reams of the unspoken geekie black arts.041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

Phil

Guest Flyer40

[ATTACH]6222.vB[/ATTACH]

This is my solution to stabilising the pedals. They're screwed into an old piece of board (the holes are already in the Saitek pedals) with some rubber feet attached under the board and the yoke sitting on top of an upside down table leg from Bunnings.

On the left is the same setup used for the MOMO force feedback wheel and pedals.

Depending what mood I'm in, cars or planes, I just carry one across to the computer and plug it in.

780971853_Picture113.jpg.ef20fd462be3779d0f2912c59138a0a3.jpg

Great idea Flyer40

I often swap between the joystick and the yoke so I have to move them each time depending on the aircraft that I am flying.

The only problem I have is time so my sim only goes on when I have time out on a Saturday night - I have a "Do not disturb - Simming" sign on my office door handle on Sat nights 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

IMG_2388.JPG.3904361c9dd12e8d1fa987061d016df5.JPG

YEA GODS !!!

WHOA !! YOU BLOKES ARE SUPER GEEKS!!!!011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif:big_grin::big_grin::big_grin:

I thought I was bad with sim's but geezz .... you fellas make me look like a kindygarden punch up!!!

(but I got to tell you ... Im a little envious ... and a little bit disturbed!!)

All you need now is a good hydraulic planform and a boeing contract for a AIR2000 project.

Let me guess .... you blokes all had Atari's when you where rug rats ... tell me I'm wrong???;) (and I was the nerdy mate who turned up wanting a go..)

And Ian, you need to notify Australian Protective Services to conduct patrols of your 'Airside' perimeter on Saturday nights!!

Not super geeks Phildo...just super sick people 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Actually, my very first "real" pc was 25 years ago. It was a Kaypro 64 - it was at the time the super pc as it had twin 5.25 floppies, a green or orange 6" screen and a whopping 64k. The lid on the case came off which was the keyboard.

25 years ago it cost me $2,400 - that was a life savings then

Umm, Ian? Is that "super sick" as in "Hey, man, that's super sick so awesome, I'm so jealous of you,like?"...err....or "super sick as in, um...."super sick?" ;>

Ian...I havent been able to find the Saitek Evo Force Feedback Joy stick in the Clear prop shop. You mentioned you would be getting them at a good price. I sent you a message a few days ago but havent heard. Fathers Day is coming up! ;)

I know your damn busy!

Scotty :big_grin:

Ian...I havent been able to find the Saitek Evo Force Feedback Joy stick in the Clear prop shop. You mentioned you would be getting them at a good price. I sent you a message a few days ago but havent heard. Fathers Day is coming up! ;)I know your damn busy!

Sorry Scotty - like many other things I just haven't had the time to put them up - I have had the X52 in stock for 5 months but it isn't up there so how on earth would anyone know that I have them, I have also had for nearly 2 years electrical hookup wire in various colours that is in stock but not listed - always wondered why I don't sell any of it, plus every type of aviation grade nut, bolt and washer that also is in stock but not listed - don't sell any of them either :hittinghead:

Remember though that Clear Prop will always run 2nd to the forum's development and management and is only a support mechanism for the forums BUT I will have to spend some time on Clear Prop soon.

PS I will add the Saitek Joystick in now...oh, wait a minute I have a hookup meeting in a couple of minutes for an hour or two...then I will put them in :big_grin:

Hi Ian...thank you for that. Now stretching it to this model of Joystick is probably stretching the Fathers Day card....lol. I was looking for the Saitek Evo Force Feedback model I have found them online for around $95.

P50498.jpg.91b78f84c78dc3490399422651a297ec.jpg

Ok back again, yes it is the same joystick that I use and $95 is what I will be listing them for.

If you really want to know Clear Prop buys them for $76.33 + gst = $83.96 and if I order less then $275 worth of products from that company then it costs an extra $9.90 to have it sent to me so I can send it out to you - that makes them $93.86 and I sell them for $95 unless I spend another near $200 for products that will sit in stock using up my capital until they sell - the RRP price is $119.95. But still this contributes either $1.14 or $10.04 (less capital costs) to the costs of running these forums

Crikey running a shop isn't easy 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Thanks Ian....my wife was hunting around for them on the net last week so secret spy may have ordered one 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

How do you find this model of Joy stick? I have upgraded or should I say down graded to Windows Vista recently and my old Microsoft Force Feedback is not compatible. I bought a cheapy off Ebay for $8 and it does an ok job but doesnt have the rudder control twist or feedback so makes flying a plane easier than.....well, stealing candy off my 4 year old 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif !

Anyway interested to hear how this unit performs.

Find out for sure mate and let me know as I am just about to order the new Cyborg gaming keyboard and mouse and need to boost the order up with something to get the freight for free.