I don't believe it

Deskpilot

On Saturday I decided to walk my dogs around the, now dry, wetlands at Noarlunga South. This area is adjacent to the Onkaparinga River, across from a small, private airstrip. As I drove up I could see a high wing a/c doing tight orbits and generally enjoying the brilliant weather we had that day. On parking my car, the aircraft was still up there and I wished I was with them, but I really do need the exercise. However, as I approached the top of a rise that over looks that airstrip, the plane flew over head and I guessed he/she was preparing to land. It was too high for me to make out it's reg number due my my degrading eye sight, but I'm pretty sure it was GA. I watched the plane turn base and then finals. Then I glanced at the wind sock. Would you believe, he was landing with a quartering to full tail wind of about 10 knots, maybe more in the gusts. The landing was fast, and hard. I was about 500 meters away but heard the undercarriage rumble. At one point the plane tipped quite viciously but luckily didn't touch the ground with it wingtip. By the time I had walked around the 'lake' to the rivers edge, they were putting it away but I think it was a Jab 230/240 (had upturned wingtips).

After seeing that poor display of airmanship, I was glad I wasn't up there with him. The attached photos were taken on previous walks.

695582711_NoarlungaSouthairstrip.jpg.1ab5536d46eeef8578f9214e9528a4d2.jpg

S8000333R.jpg.e3293837cf68b22c1592f6ee15829f98.jpg

S8000345R.jpg.156d7c91a0cefa518312c9ff71582a6a.jpg

S8000334R.jpg.bb376748b0abf52825592fcb48858970.jpg

It seems poor airmanship is not located to one strip. Within the last week at Warwick there has been two that I have personally seen:

1.A GA school aircraft (I beleave with nav student) took of in wind/dust/rain storm which I watched develop for over one hour. I think wind would have been over 40kt with vis under 2000m. I watched it in the rain as I thought it was an accident just waiting for a place to happen. The storm was over 15 min later!;

2.A V tail Bonanza took off and did a 90deg RH turn at about 150ft over gum trees about 900m down 1600m long strip. Its a normal LH circuit!

Common sense is just not common!!!

On one of my recent Journeys, I saw an Instructor take off with a student after 'last light' and here I was rushing into downwind with the fear of running out of visibility!

I could not believe it, what an example is being set here.

I dont think it was NVFR.

I wasnt around long enough to see...

There were occassions that I used to be with my instructor while doing my conversion and it became fairly dark while joining circuit to land.. But not to take-off to squeeze in a circuit or 2.

There may be an explanation... but to me didnt set a good example.

What makes you say it wasn't NVFR??..how could you tell by looking at the acft?? did it have nav lights on the wings?

How did you end up in the position to be landing after last light (or near to)??..you see, that guy could very well post something like "i was taking off for a NVFR flight with a student when i saw an ultralight hooking in , obviously rushing, on downwind after last light"..;).. its all subjective..

cheers

I'm with Merv on this one. There are often very good reasons for a manoeuvre............eg, in post #1..........downwind landings may also be uphill, the strip might be better at that end, and the pilot might just happen to be an 'off-duty' aggie.

All is not always as it seems!

It was a Recreational Aircraft, and didnt appear to have NAV lights switched on (If they were equipped).

I was in a safe situation, I had more than enough light to land comfortably- Can be a little over-cautious though!

Am not doubting there is no explanation for it.. I just thought it was a little odd :confused:.

But anyway no unsafe activity/accident was reported so its all good!