Training on two aircraft types

i know what most people will say about training on two aircrafts, but im going to ask anyway??

is it adviseable????

my thinking is it is actually healthy, although i am still a little green behinde the ears, i recon that training on two aircrafts would help in the long run. I wouldnt expect to go solo on 20hrs combined time for the both aircraft, but say around 30-40hrs combined, or the right answer is when im ready.

the reason for this crazy endvour is that my time is spent 3-4 weeks in one place and 2-3 weeks in te other. im currently training on a pioneer 200, and am thinking of training on a jab also.

is this a stupid idea?? what do experianced pilots think???

My personal opinion is to stick to one aircraft type, especially at the start of your training, which is where I assume you're at.

Perhaps you should have a chat with Bob or Anthony, explain your circumstances and see what they say.

Cheers

Well first of all can I say you will definately notice the differences nathj. They are different A/C in many ways.

The issue really boils down to how comfortable you are developing the right primacies in your flying with good instruction on both sides.No doubt the differences in a/c types and the way they behave is as diverse as the models currently available in oz. You will need to adapt to these differences easily to keep your training progressing at the appropriate rate for you.

A pioneer, jabiru, tecnam, texan, foxbat, cessna, drifter will all have different nose references for attitude, different roll and adverse characteristics, different sensitivities, cockpit layouts etc etc- experienced pilots with well developed primary skills develop good aircraft feel and can adapt to most different types quickly- not so easy for low hour students.

Neccesity is the mother of invention so go with what you have available- different airtime is better than less, and eventually it will develop you to be a better pilot. But hopefully your instructors will provide feedback if they sense that your development is being adversely affected.

Remember finally, REAL experience is not doing the same thing a million times, it really is doing many different things in many different situations, many times that will make you a better pilot. Good luck with your training!

Input.

The subject has been well covered. If you do use more than one aircraft you will take more time to go solo.

The time to solo has not much to do with what you will end up being. Sometimes low hours pilots favour familiarity rather than requiring assessment of a new situation, to function well. Familiarity makes life easier..If you do something like going to a few different aerodromes during training. You will be better for the exposure to different situations, in the long run. Pilots often rely on little "cues" around a familiar circuit, and are lost when they don't have them .

There is a case for both approaches. I tend to want pilots to have an "I can cope with anything" attitude and not be put off by small deviatons from what they are used to. I am not implying overconfidence here, in the pilot, merely a positive approach to making the aeroplane do what it has to do. This has to happen for the resulting standard to be good. The question is whether sooner than later. I don't see the rush to get solo. Nev

thanks for the tips guys, ill stick with what im doing, its just that at this rate im only getting a lesson in every three weeks and i am forgetting little things. which is a little frustrating

Change schools. I know that you get attached to an instructor but changing schools for me was the best thing I ever did.

I changed for the same reason, it was sometimes up to a month before I could book another flight. The school I changed to was absolutely perfect and I couldn't be happier.

Hi Nath

My training commenced on PA28 and on several occasions it was offline for repairs. On these occasions some lessons were in one of two 172s. At the time I felt it hindered my "feel" and progression, ie having straight and level session in pa28 and climbing and descending in a 172. With the majority of the training in the PA28, when I got to the airport and saw the 172 sitting there, I sighed and thought, not that cessna again!

But after a few flights it became apparent to me that experiencing differences between aircraft actually made me think more about my flying, and made me a better pilot, particularly reminding me why we do the things we do in flight.

For example, preflighting a different plane, different flap extension speeds (staggered in 172s), approach speeds, landing techniques, visibility high vs low wing, use of carb heat etc. After getting some consecutive lessons in the 172 I actuallly started to enjoy flying it.

On one circuits lesson, we actually had a flap failure in the 172 and my instructor sat grinning cheekily while I tried to work out why I wasn't slowing or descending on base quickly enough. He knew instantly but I was puzzled. As soon as he told me, I remembered not hearing the flap motors whirring away, and was cranky at myself for not noticing. In my defence, I was not used to such a noise as the piper's manual flaps just simply work.

Lets face it, archers and 172s are available everywhere to hire, and I think in the long run having flown both these types will help me. I recently went first solo at about 18 hrs, so didn't really hurt me in that department. Same goes for instructors, different instructor will give you a new perspective on your learning which can sometimes just make things click.

Go for it I say.

cheers

nev

Guest Howard Hughes

Go with the one type, you will be wasting money that you can use down the track once you have your licence. As far as solo goes, I would expect that you would solo a lot earlier if you stick to one type!:thumb_up:

If you are between places, double up on training in the one that you like the best!

• 6 months later...

I'm going to be moving to the newcastle / maitland area next year for six months. Should I get lessons here in Sydney beforehand or wait until I move there?

- also, is it advisable or stupid to change schools / aircraft between solo / pilot cert / nav?

-H

• 11 months later...

I've trained in both Tecnam high wings and low wings, depending on availability (same instructor). They are both nice to fly but quite different. I have valued getting experience on both, but it definitely cost me more in terms of training because it would take most of a lesson to get used to the new type of aircraft (or even different instruments...glass or steam). For me value for money in the training phase was important, which is why I chose the easy-to-fly Tecnams to train in. The plan is to move on to other types as finances allow.

Having said that, I wholeheartedly agree with Nev. You tend to become very comfortable at flying in certain situations. Most of my training circuits tended to be on the same big asphalt runway and early in the morning with little turbulence. I didn't realise how much I was relying on visual cues on the ground for ccts on that runway and on the lack of turbulence, until doing circuits on the cross grass runway, or even on the reciprocal main runway. If you can afford the extra hours, the extra experience given by different aircraft types and airports will be well worth it (in my very limited experience).

Different is good. Today's flying was turbulent. Being in the latter stages of training my instructor was putting the pressure on and I forgot a few things in HASELL checks, forced landings and inbound radio calls, even though I've done fine working through these solo. More practice needed! I was happier when my instructor was demonstrating something when I asked a question, and we ended up on a very high and short final and he handed over to me. My decision. So engine idle, glide approach, select full flaps, right rudder against the firewall in a sideslip and see what happens. Speed was good, nose pointing (very steeply) at the piano keys, continued with the approach, and ended in a nice landing. It's good when a combination of elements in your training come together 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif