AIP Book and ERSA changes — effective 3 June 2010

12 May 2010: AIP Book and ERSA changes — effective 3 June 2010

Further to the 10 April 2010 notice — Airservices Australia have now released AIP Book amendment list 63 with an effective date of 3 June 2010 and the CAR amendments have been promulgated. The amended issues of the AIP Book and ERSA are available online at www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/aip.asp (click the 'I agree' button to gain entry).

The changed communication requirements when operating in the vicinity of a non-towered aerodrome are defined in AIP ENR 1.1 section 20 — 'Radio communication and navigation requirements' (pages ENR 1.1 – 42 to ENR 1.1 – 51).

Changed 'Operations in Class G airspace' are defined in AIP ENR 1.1 sections 40 – 50 (pages ENR 1.1 – 69 to ENR 1.1 – 83).

Note that the CTAF® designation now disappears from charts and other publications. When flight planning, the only sure way to identify which aerodromes are certified or registered (and thus associated with mandatory VHF radio carriage and use) is to gain the information from the aerodrome entry in ERSA FAC, or notam if an aerodrome is temporarily designated for mandatory carriage of VHF radio.

Members should be aware that, in general, there is an increasing need to familiarise themselves with all those parts of the Airservices Australia's Aeronautical Information Publications (i.e. AIP Book, ERSA, SUP/AICs, notam and charts) that are pertinent to flight outside controlled airspace under the visual flight rules. Also the exemptions to some Civil Aviation Regulations, currently provided by CAO 95.55, CAO 95.32 and CAO 95.10, will eventually no longer exist.

The only mandatory broadcast now defined in AIP is related to the new CAR 166C which makes an overriding ruling: 'The pilot must make a broadcast ... whenever it is reasonably necessary to do so to avoid a collision, or the risk of a collision, with another aircraft ...'

Note: in a regulatory or legal sense the word 'must' indicates a mandatory action or procedure while 'should' indicates a recommended action or procedure.

The requirement for mandatory broadcasts when (a) inbound to land, (b) before entering a runway and © when in the vicinity of the aerodrome has been removed from CAR 166A and does not re-appear elsewhere.

AIP recommends the following broadcasts:

• an inbound broadcast — by 10 nautical miles from the airfield

• a joining circuit broadcast immediately before joining the circuit

• if making a straight-in approach, broadcast on final approach not less than 3 nm from the threshold

• if joining on base leg, broadcast joining base leg prior to joining on base.

• If intending to transit the vicinity, make an overflying broadcast — by 10 nm from the airfield.

• immediately before, or during, commencing taxiing to the runway, make a taxiing broadcast

• broadcast immediately before entering runway

The AIP no longer defines any mandatory or recommended in-circuit broadcasts such as 'turning downwind', 'turning base', 'turning final' or 'clear of runway'.

The effect of these changes is to considerably reduce the number of transmissions previously considered necessary in the regulations or AIP Book. Such operational decisions are now properly left to the pilot, who is expected to conduct operations in an airmanlike manner in accordance with the existing environment and traffic conditions. It might be that a pilot arriving at a CTAF airfield need only make an 'inbound' broadcast followed by (say) a 'joining circuit downwind' broadcast and then perhaps a 'turning final' broadcast.

The 'Radiotelephony communications and procedures' and the 'Australian airspace regulations' guides have been updated to incorporate these changes.

... JB

The pilot must make a broadcast ... whenever it is reasonably necessary to do so to avoid a collision, or the risk of a collision, with another aircraft ...'[/i]

So, if there was another aircraft (or more) in the circuit or aerodrome vacinity, (and you are unsure of its location) then "turning downwind/base/final" might still be required to avoid conflicts/etc.

or

am I barking up the wrong tree. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

Guest burbles1

But get this..."4.9.1 Joining on base leg, whilst not prohibited, is not a

recommended standard procedure".

If it's not a standard, why is it in the CAAP? Surely it's just another option available to pilots, who can decide where to join given the wind, traffic, terrain, daylight... This is something that Dick Smith was arguing about for ages - looks like CASA finally gave in and saw common sense.

Even though we dont HAVE to make the calls, I think I will persist in making circuit calls where ever I am.

I'm inclined to do the same, call it force of habit if you like, but I've had a few occasions where 2 or 3 of us have called downwind at the same time - makes you have a seriously good look around and improves situational awareness. Without the calls things might be a bit more ugly (having said that, we all knew roughly where each other was anyway - but I like a belts and braces philosophy).

And even at YLIL (with YCEM on the same CTAF) with several aircraft in each circuit or arriving and departing or transiting the airwaves really don't get too crowded, worst case you might delay your turning downwind call till mid downwind.

What do others think?

This is a major change for Australia because it is a cultural change to encourage airmanship rather than mandating how we tie our shoelaces.

From 3 June, the ONLY mandatory CTAF call is any call you make if you believe a conflict exists. That's it. So that could be a downwind, a level, anything to avoid a conflict.

The recommended calls have gone down to number 7, but it relies on you, the pilot in command, to use your judgment. If you are flying in to your own strip in the middle of nowhere with no traffic around, there is no legal requirement to make any call at all, and you can join on base or final should you so wish.

However, if there is traffic, it would be good airmanship to make inbound and joining calls, and whatever is required. You don't have to blindly call turning base just because the AIP says so, it might be better in some cases to call at another part of the circuit.

It will be up to you to decide the best way to join the circuit and the best calls to make.

Has everyone received the information? CASA has sent it out to GA pilots. The CASA website also has an e-learning course for CTAFs and Class D.

Please note that John Brandon has made some slight changes to the notice which are now reflected in the opening post of this thread

'The pilot must make a broadcast ... whenever it is reasonably necessary to do so to avoid a collision, or the risk of a collision, with another aircraft ...'

In other words, if you don't make any one of the recommended calls or any other call when needed, and there is a collision or reported near miss, you will very likely be held accountable and could be charged.

kaz

Kaz, it means if you have a conflict on downwind, you make a call there, even if it is not a recommended call. If you don't make a call if a collision risk exists, the outcome could be far worse than being held accountable for a violation of CAR 166.

It is about airmanship.

Please excuse the ignorance of a dumb novice aviator, I fly a Drifter from my home strip (paddock) it is 3.5mile from the Winton airport that I believe to be a registered airstrip it was CTAF, I have A radio and qualified to use it and I use it every time No exceptions. But does that mean that all ultralights within 10 mile of Winton need to carry radios now because there are a few that don't. I have looked at the changes and find it tells that you do and also that you don't I am confused. Can any one clarify this for me.

I am not as dumb as this sounds (I think!!)

Monty

Winton is a certified airport - thus radio carriage is mandatory "in the vicinity" ie within 10nm and at a height where conflict is possible.

Thanks Graemek,

It gets a bit confusing some times. It wont affect me as I use it all the time anyway but it will affect some others out here.

Monty

There is doubt in my mind that "in the vicinity" includes all the area within 10n.m. I have seen it somewhere stated that in the vicinity means where it could be expected to be a problem. Flying at 500' above GL, 3.5 miles from Winton could be considered to be away from normal circuit traffic.

The rules are getting vague and I am not sure if this is just due to poor rule drafting or a wish to make it harder to understand and easier to take pilots to court.

There is doubt in my mind that "in the vicinity" includes all the area within 10n.m.

Yep Yenn, as I recall "in the vicinity" used to be pretty vague as you have said.

Now it's in black and white in CAR 166:

"(2) An aircraft is in the vicinity of a non-controlled aerodrome if it is within:(a) airspace other than controlled airspace; and

(b) 10 miles from the aerodrome; and

© a height above the aerodrome that could result in conflict with operations at the aerodrome"

Kaz3g,

You've got it in one.

S.20 of the Act applies.

20A Reckless operation of aircraft(1) A person must not operate an aircraft being reckless as to whether

the manner of operation could endanger the life of another person.

(2) A person must not operate an aircraft being reckless as to whether

the manner of operation could endanger the person or property of

another person.

Regards,

PS: "Vicinity" is a long standing ICAO term, and is also used in Metar/TAF/TTF and similar.

Guest ozzie

I wonder how many 'puddle jumpers' who fly around their own property and are within 10nm of a certified airport who now find themselves having to aquire a radio and approval to use it?

once again the grass roots types just forgotten about and expected to comply

Onya RAAus!!

G'day ozzie,

I am one of those puddle jumpers in my Drifter 3.5nm from the airport. Although I jump some real big puddles sometimes! It doesnt worry me but there are a few around here that it will. with the added cost of the equipment and the nearest Flight instructor is about 500klms away so thats a 1000 klms round trip to get qualified that amounts to a fair bit.Young kids save and save just to get a licence and something to fly,they can't afford the extra expence. It cost a lot to do your training in one block and accomadation because there is no one out here. I wonder if Raa or casa will help finance the changes I THINK NOT!!

Just my thoughts

Monty