Winterise your Jabiru Engine

old man emu

This weekend is the time to winterise your Jabiru engine if your aircraft lives where the overnight temperature gets below 5 degrees, because Jabs don't like to start when they are chilly.

The simplest thing to do is to whip out the spark plugs and regap them. For easier starting in winter, set your gap at 0.018". Come next Srping, you can open them out to 0.022".

Old Man Emu

I had terrible trouble in the past and blamed it on the Odyssey battery. It was later suggested that my earth may not be good enough, so I upgraded the cable. So far it starts beautifully.

Take the wife flying, everyone knows that they come with a hairdryer attached, the perfect cold weather start heater!

I assume that you dont let your wife read this forum:laugh:006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Escadrille

Hi Slarti, Can you give details of the Solenoid brand name, model no ,where you obtained this solenoid and the approx cost Please? :i_dunno:

Andy

I realised an email to Henk (hangar mate and forum member) might be quicker. He got straight back to me saying it is a Cole Hersee.

A look at their website reveals it is most likely a model 24047.

Use "Product Search" or browse solenoids to find it. I can't link directly because of their stupid frame-based site.

It looks like this, and this is the 12v intermittent version, so probably the right one. I'll try to confirm when I get back to the plane.

You could do what I did - go to an auto-electrician with the requirements (voltage, amps, load, usage) and let them suggest one. It has to be better than the $12 standard part.

It definitely provides better cranking than standard. Both Henk's and mine showed much slower cranking after 10 seconds or so on the original solenoid. Now they both crank as long as you are game.

That extra available current translates to more spark and a better start.

If it works for you, post here. Every jab engine owner should hear about it.

Starting sick?

Problem hard to pick?

Give jumps the flick,

with this slick, quick trick.

Escadrille, I checked mine and Henk's yesterday. He has 24046 - single pole (no separate earth but still insulated) and I have 24047.

I also noticed that Cole Hershee is a USA company, not German (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I got mine through City Centre Auto Electrical in Canberra. Any Auto Electrician should be able to get it though. Lucas or Bosch would also have something which would do the job better than standard. I couldn't find a price. Probably $80ish.

The crux of it is that the cheap unit leaks current to earth. As it warms up, it leaks more. So after 5-10 seconds of cranking, it seems that the battery is out of grunt and won't turn the engine over anymore, when in reality, there's plenty left, it's just going into warming the earth return. I guess if you ran the earth near the carby it might help to warm things up (or light them up), but I think you're better off with a quality solenoid.

I would really like a few more Jab owners to try this and report their findings. I'm confident it would end the Jab jumpstart jamboree we see on cold mornings at fly-ins.

Cheers,

Ross

.....the Jab jumpstart jamboree we see on cold mornings at fly-ins.

Interesting to watch that.....

We had to get my fathers car last year at the Bundaberg flyin to help start a couple of them.

We haven't had that problem yet.

-Linda

Guest ozzie

has any one pulled an old one apart, i'd be interest at seeing the contacts. cheap chinese copper maybe?

Jabiru sent us different caby jets to see if a change there would help. Unfortunately, we completed the job on last Thursday, and the weather prevented flying on Friday, so I don't know if the problem has been rectified.

As usual, I'm at hiome as I write this and don't have access to the jest supplied, I'll check on Monday and advise.

Old Man Emu