corvair power

John Raison

Corvair.

Popular in a Pietenpol. The original was a "T or A" Ford. I have a friend who speciallises in preparing them. I guess it pays to get in touch with someone who does know. What are you putting it in? Weight might be a consideration. Being a six cylinder it will be quite smooth. Nev

We have one installed on the front of our CH601XL. Have not run it yet but we are getting very close. I have made our own intake manifold and have any drawings if required.

There are heaver than a Rotex 912 but are about the same as a 0-200 or lycoming.

Hope this will help.

Ianrat

CH601XL

Brisbane

Hi John...I am going to use one in my Pietenpol. I have the block sitting here in my garage and decided rather than bring a core engine in from the USA, I would just bring in the block and then bring in all the parts rebuilt from the USA. If you bring a complete core engine in you cant use some of the parts like the cast pistons, blower fan etc so its weight you are paying for in freight which is no use to you. The parts are cheap but the freight to get them here is the killer. I chose this engine as I can build it myself and there for, maintain it as well. Peter Johnson in Victoria built one for his Pietenpol and he had success. You can see his website at Pietenpol Pages.

William Wynne is the guru with regard to aero conversions of the Corvair. You can view his site at www.FlyCorvair.com - Home of the Recognized Authority on Corvair Powered Flight

There is now a 5th bearing available to help support the crank at the flange where the prop bolts too. The stock engine has had problems with the crank cracking due to the excess side pressure so the 5th bearing supports the crank right where the prop bolts on.

There are a lot of these flying especially in the USA. Chevrolet made about 1 500 000 of these engines if my memory serves me correctly but not a lot of them came to Australia. In saying that, I do know of a chap that MAY be able to access one here if you go down this road.

Have a look under the links section of my website at Scottys Pietenpol Air Camper Build and all the suppliers of parts in the USA are on there.

If you are looking for a block get one from 1965 to 1969. These are classed as the later model blocks. The 1964 apparently can be used but you have to be more specific with the other parts used on it. The early ones are from 1960-61 to 1963. I think you can use these but not the best. I have been lucky enough to find a guy in the USA who has 5 of the old models in his shed and I have worked out what parts were common from 1961 to 1969 and he is sending them over. Things like rocker covers etc.

I am no where near an expert on the Corvairs but I have done a lot of research and spoken to many people who are. If you want to know anything else, just ask. If I cant give you an answer, I should be able to point you too someone who can

Scotty :thumb_up:

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your response ,I'm gearing up to build a Morgan Aeroworks Cheata usually powered by a Jab.6 or rotax100hp. not overlly fussed on Jab motors and rotax is overpriced so hence the intrest in the corvair. I've sent of an email to Willian Wynne last week ,but as yet have had no response. if possable i would like to buy a motor fully built by someone who knows what their doing hence the email to Mr. Wynne. I've got plenty of time to source the power plant while i'm building.

Cheers John:blush:

Cof G

get a weight for engine and prop and Cof G for the eng/prop together, and see how your aircraft weight and balance will turn out. This can all be calculated at the outset. The manifold is difficult as the single intake for each cylinder head is on the top. Carb icing is a problem too as the carb(s) are a long way from the engine. Since you will most likely end up nose-heavy you will be interested to keep the engine as close to the firewall as you can. Nev

John just a note. I have met with WW on a number of occasions and if you are prepared to build the motor your self he will be all over you because he believes that it is a very cheep and reliable power plant that any that can build a plain would be able to build th power plant.

If you just want to pay some one to do all the work for you it will not be your own creation an just an another bought power plant. This is not the WW way.

He will sell you all of the parts to be able to build it yourself.

As I have said I have produced the intake here in Brisbane. It would be every easy to connect most carbies to it and also apply carby heat on most setups.

Ianrat

CH601XL

Brisbane

Thanks Ian I know WW main intrest is teaching others to build the corvair and would love to attend one of his corvair collages, and personally i would like to build up a motor myself under the guidance of someone with experience. As i said i have lots of time to source power plant options as i'm just starting the build pro

Cheers Johncess.I remember seeing your 601 in its early stages and would like to catch up and have a talk about the corvair, are you still at the same address

A mate of mine (Ken Ingersoll) is a Corvair expert and has been importing these engines from the US since the mid 60’s were he made adaption kit for VW conversions.

Over the past 2 years he has been developing an aero version (he calls it a Corvaero) for his Long-Ezi.

He has done a great job on the engine and has sorted out all of the problems one usually hears about with Corvair aero engines.

He has used the 145 cubic inch engine being the smaller of the two available (the other being 164 inch) and has mounted the alternator and starter to the rear; this has pushed the c of g back and has reduced the frontal area of the engine.

He has also developed a very robust PSRU (prop speed reduction unit), as the direct drive engines rev too hard for an efficient prop speed and end up with a narrow power band to operate when you pull the power back. He says that his PSRU allows the engine to operate at optimum power setting and has a broader power range and a more progressive power curve for different rev settings. He says the engine can develop a torque value simular to a 0320 of up to 150hp and only weighs 250 lbs ish.

He has also designed a heated manifold and is running an Ellison TBI and hasn’t experience any carby icing issues in his testing date.

He has one of his engines on a test stand with a Bolly 3 blade prop and is running test on it now before he mounts it into his aircraft.

I spoke to Ken this morning and he is happy to chat to anyone that wants to know more about Corvair engines.... He's down at Baxter in Victoria.

If you want to PM me I can send you his contact details.

Cheers

Jack

DSC00113.thumb.jpg.55810621700f478ecf77d83d3d14e642.jpg

DSC00114.thumb.jpg.0f4f38ec50b888d16e06fdf7fd88a179.jpg

DSC00115.thumb.jpg.13003dd018f7d83bc89cb6fdc096ef31.jpg

• Informative 1

Guest ozzie

This must have been one of his kits i used many years ago for a kombi conversion i did. many hassell free miles with it after a few inital set up problems. sounded a bit like a red engined holden.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rhtrudder

Have a mate in victoria who has a lot of knowledge on these engines

If anyone interested give me a call on 0428585573

• 2 years later...
ThanksThanks everyone for your response ,I'm gearing up to build a Morgan Aeroworks Cheata usually powered by a Jab.6 or rotax100hp. not overlly fussed on Jab motors and rotax is overpriced so hence the intrest in the corvair. I've sent of an email to Willian Wynne last week ,but as yet have had no response. if possable i would like to buy a motor fully built by someone who knows what their doing hence the email to Mr. Wynne. I've got plenty of time to source the power plant while i'm building.

Cheers John:blush:

Hi have you got yourself a corvair motor yet. If not let me know because I'd be keen on shipping one with you. Talked to WW while I was in the stated and he said he could organise and engine core or build an engine for me.

A mate of mine (Ken Ingersoll) is a Corvair expert and has been importing these engines from the US since the mid 60’s were he made adaption kit for VW conversions.Over the past 2 years he has been developing an aero version (he calls it a Corvaero) for his Long-Ezi.

He has done a great job on the engine and has sorted out all of the problems one usually hears about with Corvair aero engines.

He has used the 145 cubic inch engine being the smaller of the two available (the other being 164 inch) and has mounted the alternator and starter to the rear; this has pushed the c of g back and has reduced the frontal area of the engine.

He has also developed a very robust PSRU (prop speed reduction unit), as the direct drive engines rev too hard for an efficient prop speed and end up with a narrow power band to operate when you pull the power back. He says that his PSRU allows the engine to operate at optimum power setting and has a broader power range and a more progressive power curve for different rev settings. He says the engine can develop a torque value simular to a 0320 of up to 150hp and only weighs 250 lbs ish.

He has also designed a heated manifold and is running an Ellison TBI and hasn’t experience any carby icing issues in his testing date.

He has one of his engines on a test stand with a Bolly 3 blade prop and is running test on it now before he mounts it into his aircraft.

I spoke to Ken this morning and he is happy to chat to anyone that wants to know more about Corvair engines.... He's down at Baxter in Victoria.

If you want to PM me I can send you his contact details.

Cheers

Jack

Hi Vev,

Currently I'm chasing a corvair engine core to do the WW aero conversion and was wondering knew of anyone who might have a spare one they could sell me. Interesting the name Ken ingersoll came up when I enquired about one at Eagle spares in Melbourne thats how I found this post. I'd love to know of a reliable source to do the crankshaft nitride, safety shaft and crankshaft radiusing here in OZ to.

Regards Jake