Garman 296 query

Russ

I'm puzzled why are these units programmed to only accept "fuel" as kg's or lbs.......trying to preload this unit to my aircrafts weights/speeds/fuel burn etc etc is awkward.

Converting my Lph to kg is poss...........but why their format in weight.

To my knowledge all GA and rec flying is done in litres or gallons, and all these GPS's are targeted at this group.

:confused::confused::confused:

Guest JeffC

In W&B it's only weight that matters and this varies with the type of fuel depending on the specific gravity (Avtur 0.8, Avgas 0.72, etc). If litres/gal were allowed in W&B there would have to be other menu options identifying the type of fuel to ensure the weight was correct.

That's my guess anyway.

With respect, If you are unable to calculate fuel burn ,In Lph Galls per Hour or lbs or kgs per hour, It may be a good time to have a look @ your XC endorsement and or the person(s),people that signed you off!!!! It is not a question of what you should know............ it is enshrined in law , and you shouldn't have to ask that question in this forum, If you need to step up and if ,your training, and or evaluation has been flawed ,speak up otherwise the uneducated will end up wealthy and the meek may survive!!088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif088_censored.gif.03b4fab6f26a58d5cdf75ba85c450225.gif088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif

With respect, If you are unable to calculate fuel burn ,In Lph Galls per Hour or lbs or kgs per hour, It may be a good time to have a look @ your XC endorsement and or the person(s),people that signed you off!!!! It is not a question of what you should know............ it is enshrined in law , and you shouldn't have to ask that question in this forum, If you need to step up and if ,your training, and or evaluation has been flawed ,speak up otherwise the uneducated will end up wealthy and the meek may survive!!088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif088_censored.gif.03b4fab6f26a58d5cdf75ba85c450225.gif088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif

Jumping in boots and all like this speaks volumes:censored:088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif088_censored.gif.03b4fab6f26a58d5cdf75ba85c450225.gif

take a breath..........read my original post........line 3.............that's line three pal.

further...........yet to hear ANY "REC" or "GA", refer to their fuel burn in lbs or kg's. ( every single owners manual ive read ie.......rotax's, jab's, hirths, etc ......all speak in litres, as do aircraft manufacturers )

My point in part is, these units are "targeted" at recreational flyers who deal in litres/ galls.

Within this 296 one is able to utilize fuel timer etc etc, and calculating fuel weight to litres per hr, just seems puzzleing.

BTW............my X C plus a heap more are spot on, as are my people skills. ( drop me a PM, i'll give you a hand there ) Grrrrrrrrrrrrr:censored:

This forum prides it self on openness. I recall in my life many times hearing there is nothing such as a stupid question.

172M you are definitely hanging out in the wrong forum with your demonstrated attitude. I do hope you have sent an PM to the original poster and said sorry for that harshness. Even better edit your post and reword.

Many pilots calculate in litres. In fact in my current GA training it is litres we are writting on logs ect. I bet you pay for litres when you fill up your cessna. And I bet you can tell me exactly how many litres per hour you burn.

Jim.

• Like 1

Guest magcheck

I dont have a 296 in front of me, but looking at the manual it is much the same as the other garmins

I think you are trying to change it in the wrong area

W&B will only take lbs and kilos - thats just the way it is for calculating your loading

You want to change the settings for your "Aircrafts profile" abd then that way it will give you fuel flow in gallons or litres.

Aircraft profile is in the same area as W&B. Have a look at page 46 of this manual:

http://www.garmin.com.ua/manuals/air/GPSMAP296_PilotsGuide.pdf

Thanks for the inputs folks, appreciated. My confusion stemmed from "W&B" as fuel is entered as weight.......no prob thus far. Then entering aircraft data...........fuel flow, there was no choice as to litres or galls, it only accepted a useage figure.

So............i'm thinking, the 296 must be referencing useage by "weight", hence me converting litres to weight, and entering that "now figure" into the flow memory.

My further comments re............why this method etc.

Info now comes to hand, that australian devices are set as litres.........period.

( so, now i'm asking, if it's set as litres, why the choice of lbs and kg's when here in oz, we work in kg's.............i_dunnoi_dunno )

geeez, i'm sorry i started this thread.

Guest magcheck

Actually, I dont think it defaults to any setting, you set the fuel flow as a figure and then it just measures it against the fuel weight that you entered for your W&B calculation. There is no litres/gallons choice for the fuel flow.

The unit is for all use anywhere so you have the choice of lbs and kilos. The only "local" option is with the mapa and data set you buy (australia/pacific)

Regret.

You can get to that position, but don't feel bad and ask more questions if you feel like it. Don't be put off in any circumstances. I've seen situations where the fuel was loaded in litres, the aircraft gauges are in US gallons and the loadsheet is in KG's, The company I worked for was using Lbs.on the loadsheet (with the same aircraft). The Gimly Glider exists in part to confusion between lbs/Kgs so I can understand some people wanting to emphasise the need to get it right.

If you have things like

Ramp weight.

Max T/O weight.(structural) and accelerate-stop.

Max landing weight.(structural)

Max weight for FULL flap operation.

Landing weight,(1). planned.(2.) actual. (Calc approach speeds, runway length requirement)

Zero fuel weight. (balance check).

You note that these are all WEIGHTS. You would also note that fortunately you don't have to bother with most of this stuff in our environment, but the principle is still there. even your turbulence penetration, lift off and approach speed is based on weight. Your question on the Garmin format is still valid, but some of the above may explain what they have done. Nev

Info now comes to hand, that australian devices are set as litres.........period.

Russ, what is the source of that info?

As far as I'm aware, PMK's post is correct, there is no such thing as an 'Australian' 296. They are all exactly the same except for the base maps which have nothing to do with unit (eg. litres or gallons) settings.

Your retailer may preconfigure your GPS for you to suit Australian units (some even load custom waypoints to value add), but Garmin sure don't.

Info came via a PM....................So, have shot a mail off to the lads at mendellsons ( good service BTW ) they called me, they have shot a mail off to garman..............let's see what comes of all this.

again..............thanks

From Garmin, via mendellsons...............( extracted this part of the mail )

"Fuel flow rates are measured in “units per hour” System setting changes for units of measure (statute, nautical or metric) do not affect the fuel flow measure. He should enter fuel flow rates based on information for your vehicle (such as the operator’s manual or performance specifications) and make note of the units of measure (gallons or liters)".......................

Thank You!

Eric Yoong

Field Service Engineer - Avionics

Garmin Singapore Pte Ltd

46 East Coast Road 05-06 Eastgate Singapore 428766

T: +65 6348-0378 I F: +65 6348-0278 I www.garmin.com I eric.yoong@garmin.com

Ok........so i'm burning 18Lph, ( 18 units per hr ) that's it...........my 296 must then accumulate "time or volume" from when i hit the "go to" button.........i think. What format it then presents to me' is yet to be known.Will find out when i next use it

So there you go............it's all about "units", it don't matter whether it's lbs,kgs,tons, galls,litres, or whatever.

Garmin chap also sent this.............:thumb_up:

Hi Russ,

Below links has all updates require for GPSMAP 296.

Garmin | Aviation Database Link to update terrain database for panel mount and Navigation database for portable GPS

Garmin | Additional Software Link to update Garmin Portable GPS software. GPSMAP 695/696 & Aera 5XX Series unit software upgrade is from flygarmin site.

Below two links has training videos for using flygarmin web site. Flygarmin web site provides unit software and all Garmin’s databases update.

Garmin | Learning Center | Training Videos | flyGarmin

Garmin | Learning Center | Training Videos | GPSMAP 696

Thank You!

Eric Yoong

Field Service Engineer - Avionics

Garmin Singapore Pte Ltd

46 East Coast Road 05-06 Eastgate Singapore 428766

T: +65 6348-0378 I F: +65 6348-0278 I www.garmin.com I eric.yoong@garmin.com

• 3 years later...
Hi,I am a new member and ignorant as to protocol on this site.

I am looking for a cable to connect a 296 to a Windows 8 computer with only USB connectors. Do you know where such a cable may be purchased?

Thank you

Paul in Georgia in the USA

You'll need a "Type B-Mini USB Cable".

See here: http://www.liquidware.com/system/0000/0016/USBmini.jpg

And the Garmin MapSource Software

Cheers

Greg