Sensenich prop for J230

flie43

Gidday All,

Do any of you Jab owners know much about the new Sensenic prop with the glass coating they are putting on some Jabs now. I think we will be soon be in the market for a new prop and was hoping to get some feed back.

Terry

Guest markfnkl

I was at the USA Jabiru factory two weekends ago for the 'Jabiru Jamboree', and the new fiberglass coated prop was mentioned. It was said that it adds an extra 100 RPM in the climb without compromising cruise speed. I've ordered one for my J230.

I was looking into these last year

Firstly Sensinich sell thiers without and with glass coating as an optional extra

Jabiru first bought in NON glass coated ones and sold them. I heard about some issues with trailing edges breaking off and maybe needed more outer strength. Possibly just to do with thin edge profile too.

Next I heard Jabiru were looking at glass coating them themselves - not sure if this happened

They are a good prop and most happy with perfromance that I spoke too.

So here in Oz there maybe factory coated AND Jabiru coated versions around

Mostly hearsay so take it with a grain of salt

Jab have 2B Plastic bladed prop coming for 4cyl shortly, 6 cyl after that if they work OK.

I ended up with 3 Blade adjustable, Carbon Fibre. Works well, just dont buy it from French manufacturer I did.

Just the info I am after

Thanks Jet, as mine is factory built I dont think I can put on a carbon fibre one.

Mark, sounds great--what size and pitch and when do you get it.

Terry

Guest markfnkl

Hi Terry:

Here is a link to the prop: Sensenich Propellers | Products | Propellers | Aircraft | 2 Blade Jabiru 3300 Ground Adjustable Propeller

It's a bit confusing because it refers to itself at one point as a Rotax prop. I'm quite sure that's a mistake: there's another prop in their list for Rotax, and it looks as if they mistakenly copied some of the same language. But you'll note it is specified as being appropriate for the Jabiru 3300 engine. I currently have a 60-inch Sensenich prop. The 64-inch has been recommended by Jabiru for this new prop. Not sure about pitch: I seem to recall 53 being mentioned. Would that make sense? I'm hoping to get it in about a month and will report back on results.

Mark

Guest Andys@coffs

Captain, a forum regular has installed one of the glass covered ones on his Jab. I spoke at some length to him when my Jabiru prop needed replacing. I didnt end up going this route for no other factor than cost for the prop AND SPINNER as a seperate cost. From memory, and not sure of the exchange rate at the time, but the cost was well over double, close to tripple the cost of the local option and I couldnt find a reason to stump up the extra.

Actually just found the email from Geoff and at the time the cost of the prop, spinner and freight was $2600USD. Assuming no fundamental change in costs that translates to a few dollars less than $3k AUD and of course for that cost you have to involve customs which drives the cost further to the right....but less than 3 times the cost of the Australian equivalent which I think was around $1200AUD plus freight.......Still, it looks really good! and I seem to recall that Geoff had posted of his experiences on these forums so a bit of search might be useful, I also suggest you PM him as its been quite some time and may be worth checking that the value and benefits Geoff saw in the early days have been maintained.

Andy

Talking Props. I was very impressd at Temora with Bolly Props wooden propellor with leading edge protector fitted. The prop itself is made in NZ and the protector fitted in OZ I believe. I hit the leading edge against the edge of a square metal table leg a couple of times quite hard with no marking at all. Interested in feedback from any one useing this prop on a 2.2 Jab as we're getting close to replacing ours.

Thanks...Kevin

Nothing against this wooden Bolly BUT be very careful with alternative props on 4 cyl Jabirus

This engine has strong resonant vibrations which has caused significant numbers of failures. Different brands and materials too.

6cyl is different. I havent heard of blade failures on these

Yes on LSA J230 you have to run with Jabiru or Sensinich wooden options (not ground adjustable Sensinich discussed)

Std prop is 60x64 I think

You are right Jet, it has to be the timber prop and the glass coated ones sound great.

Andy, I have spoken to Geoff and his is the Ground adjustable so no good for me.

So at this satge there seems to be no-one with the glass coated timber prop at the moment to reference with but I am sure some one will stick their hand up before long.

I will keep sniffing around.

Terry

We have a glassed coated Sensinich timber prop on one of our Brumby aircraft with the J3300 engine and seems to be good. We will be trialing the new ground adjustable Sensinich prop when they arive from the states in the next few days.

We will be running one on a jabiru 3300 and a rotax 912.

Daniel

Nothing against this wooden Bolly BUT be very careful with alternative props on 4 cyl JabirusThis engine has strong resonant vibrations which has caused significant numbers of failures. Different brands and materials too.

6cyl is different. I havent heard of blade failures on these

Hi JR,

You mentioned failures on the 4 cyl Jab ... how many, what type of failures?

Have these been reported and investigations undertaken by RAA?

Cheers

Jack

Can you keep me informed how they go, Im back in the market for a prop

Im very interested in ground adjust sensinich, although on Jab eng forum some mentioned better performance from fixed std one??

Guest markfnkl

I will definitely post results when new prop is installed. I'm most hoping that it will improve climb performance, without sacrificing cruise.

Re failures, These were not all blades coming off maybe significant cracks found in blades or hub. There are many reported ~ 10+ however these arent known or confirmed

I do know there were 2 in Australia, One was listed in RAA magazine and subsequently the use on 4 cyl has been ceased. All props sold were accepted back for credit I believe.

I know of 3 in Europe had issues with one brand also only on 4 cyl Jab engine. This company is not behaving well towards customers.

These were all Carbon Fibre type and Jabiru are happy to admit that 4 cyl has significant vibrations which requires soft wooden type to help absorb vibration.

Stiffer CF blades are a good thing just dont soak up much. On a 6 cyl this is much less of a problem.

• 1 month later...

We have just fitted the new ground adjust sensinich prop on 6cly jab engine in our brumby.

Its very smooth but i still dont think its as good as the revolution prop.

They do have a nice stainless leading edge.

Daniel

I've got one of the new white glass coated sensenich props on my J120 and it climbs just as well as a 230. I seem to be getting 80 knots climb at around 800-1200fpm one up and around 7-800 fpm at max weight again at 80 knots. All this with a cruise of 105 at 2900rpm.

The engine is still breaking in though so the engine may loosen up a bit and perform better still. I'm really happy with it as it seems to be a bit more resilient to cracking at the tips and also along the leading edge. Seems to run as smooth as the standard jab prop.

Gidday Relfy,

Just what I wanted to hear, thats great- you have me sold. I seem to have a bit of vibration from the Jab prop so the Sensenich I hope will solve a few issues.

Have it increased your criuse speed? as well as climb

Time to order one.

Terry

It has put an extra couple of knots on the cruise Terry but at the moment I'm giving the engine a bit of a flogging to break it in as per factory recommendations ie. keeping the revs up in the climb at 100% power and backing off every now and then and not sticking to the ideal cruise rpm of 28-2900 for too long. It pays with the jab motor to bed everything in nicely at the start.

When I start to fly normally I'll be able to do some comparisons but at the moment, it seems to run smoother than the standard jab prop on a 170 I flew a lot, and has a few extra (yet to be determined) knots in the cruise. Stay tuned! :thumb_up:

Re failures, These were not all blades coming off maybe significant cracks found in blades or hub. There are many reported ~ 10+ however these arent known or confirmedI do know there were 2 in Australia, One was listed in RAA magazine and subsequently the use on 4 cyl has been ceased. All props sold were accepted back for credit I believe.

I know of 3 in Europe had issues with one brand also only on 4 cyl Jab engine. This company is not behaving well towards customers.

These were all Carbon Fibre type and Jabiru are happy to admit that 4 cyl has significant vibrations which requires soft wooden type to help absorb vibration.

Stiffer CF blades are a good thing just dont soak up much. On a 6 cyl this is much less of a problem.

Hmmm - Might be less of a problem on 6 cyl, but maybe still a problem nonetheless.. Even 6 cyls dont perform vibration-free in all situations.. I think we need to wonder why Jabiru wont certify or even recommend c/f for any of their engines..

Guest check-in

Rob Patroney out Bundaberg way makes a very nice ground adjustable composite prop which goes on the 2200 Jabiru engine. My Sonex climb and cruise performance has improved considerably over what it was with the old Sensenich wooden prop. I now get the flat-out 3300 rpm it is rated for, whereas before it was down about 150 rpm.

I fitted the Patroney ground adjustable 3blade carbon prop to my J430 and its VERY very smooth. People have commented it sounds like a turbo!

After 50 hours theres hardly a mark on it & thats operating from a farm strip. Speed can be a bit subjective because it depends how much pitch you wind in. When first installed my TAS was only 107kts at 2850 RPM. After a pretty course adjustment, the TAS increased to 128kts. I now have the pitch set to get a TAS around 123kts...and the ground run and climb out is still excellent even with MTOW from a damp grass strip.

So with the smoothness, the flexability to select your TAS and the ability of the prop to handle some rain without damage, I'm very happy with the investment.

Garry

I also have a Patroney 3blade on my j230 an am very happy with it. The lack of vibration is terrific. Cruise speed much the same but better climb out and possibly better cooling. It is important to set the pitch correctly and not chase too much cruise speed.

Oh and the aircraft does really sound great.

Glenn

Guest JRMobile
I also have a Patroney 3blade on my j230 an am very happy with it. The lack of vibration is terrific. Cruise speed much the same but better climb out and possibly better cooling. It is important to set the pitch correctly and not chase too much cruise speed.Oh and the aircraft does really sound great.

Glenn

Ditto Glen, I could never get my old wood prop balanced, but the Patroney has solved that!

Another great advantage was the increased air flow into the cowl with a reduced CHT.

Cheers John

Guest JRMobile

You could try:

Patroney R & L(07) 4154 8180

701 Booyan Rd

Moorland QLD 4670

this is from a search in White pages on line.