Council Bureaucrats Building Brick Walls

Hi to all,

It looks like the Bureaucratic Desk Jockeys in the Fraser Coast Regional Council have put the skids on another aviation development near Maryborough.

The development is an Acreage Airpark Estate of 18 blocks, with a 900m grassed airstrip, with solar powered street lighting, also all the dwellings and hangers would have self contained solar power generation.

According to them (FCRC), the proposal would need to demonstrate overriding need in the public interest”

How can we get a petition going to show the Fraser Coast Regional Council and other Local Councils around Australia that we need these types of developments to replace the council owned airfields that they keep closing down for the land to be redeveloped into housing estates.

I’ve attached an artist’s impression of the proposed airpark estate near Maryborough in Queensland.

Hope you can all have a say and let all Councils know we do have a voice that needs to be heard.

1992899061_ArtistsImpression.jpg.d8d5a12f0897d1755aeb07a64ddc7fc0.jpg

Yes the FCRC have absolutely zero record in developing aviation on the fraser coast. Some of their "achievements" to date:

1. allowing FTQ and their intentions to build a pilot training school to falter after considerable delays

2. not maintaining jetstar services from hervey bay

3. abandoning long term microlite leaseholders from recent hervey bay hanger tender process

4. unwillingness to give maryborough aviation services long term certainty of lease.

5. securing rex only to see them make losses with an unsustainable number of daily flights from maryborough only.

6. underutilisation of maryborough airport at significant cost to ratepayers

Now there is talk of future plans to secure land for another airport, through some grand aviation strategy. Here's an idea FCRC, and it won't cost you a cent (unlike your consultants you've engaged). Better utilise Maryborough airport as a GA centre for maintenance and training organisations leaving RPT focus on Hervey Bay. Sadly, it seems many councils don't have the nouse to see the value in a strong local aviation industry.

Guest burbles1

Seems to be that coastal councils see coastal land as only suitable for housing development - it brings the opportunity to rake in huge revenue from rates. It happened with the Gold Coast City Council, which doubled beachfront property rates in a short time in a bid to squeeze out older houses with long-time residents so that developers could then come in.

Perhaps coastal hinterland would stand a better chance for new airstrips? Less accessible, and not so much prime real estate.

We're looking for land for an airstrip near Maryborough Qld so we can live near our planes but we, too, are coming to the conclusion that FCRC is NOT the Coucil to deal with. The reason we are looking for our own airstrip is because of the bad experiences we have had with Councils to date. The better half does not want to be beholden to any mob of bureaucrats.

Maryborough is a better placed airport than Hervey Bay, but FCRC seems hell bent on driving industry and business away from it. Yengarie sounds like a good idea.

Sue

In terms of who's for and against something in Local Government, there are two levels you have to analyse:

The Officers

The Councillors

It's possible for one bad officer to either sneak inappropriate developments through, or reject something he doesn't like, by bending the system, and it's possible for one bad Councillor to do the same.

To succeed you need to tie both ends up with a proposal which is so watertight they have nowhere to go.

To do that, your proposal has to comply with the Zoning for the particular area:

eg You are not going to get an airfield in a Residential Zone or an Industrial Zone

I mention the zoning because in my area, about two or three applications a month come up where the proposal is inappropriate for the Zone, and fights break out with news media and tens of thousands of dollars spent on proceedings.

I've lost count of the number of non-complying proposals I've seen where the Applicant has produced pretty pictures showing green forests (which were never there and never likely to be there), recycling of everything, solar power etc etc.....but none of these relate to compliance with the Planning Scheme, or effect on the Amenity of neighbours.

If this proposal is privately financed, if it complies with the Zoning and the Planning Scheme (usually obtainable from the Council website, or the Sate Government website listing the Planning Schemes for that Council) AND it is in an area where the Amenity of existing residents is not disadvantaged (Amenity in this case meaning that resdients who don't share our love of the sound of aero engines will not be driven out of their minds by constant circuits), then there should be no logical reason why it would be refused by Council, and if so for either of the two reasons above, then there's no reason it wouldn't be won on appeal to the State body which hears Planning appeals (VCAT in Victoria etc)

Someone needs to do some assessing and strategic planning and it should be OK.

Of course if you are expecting the Council to pay for it, then that's another matter.

Hi Turboplanner,

The friend of mine who has this planned airpark has had all the planning and consultation done by a private Town Planner and everything complies with the State and Local Planning Schemes.

The property is on the border between the Rural land and Rural Residential land and is well outside the local Future Residential Planning area by about 5km.

Attached is a photo of the land when it was purchased by my friend with an existing grass airstrip and old disused cane fields which is where the planned airpark is being built.

The development takes up about 60 acres of a 220 acre property and does not require any removal of trees to achieve the finished estate.

The Councilors he has had consultation with are receptive to the planned Airpark Estate, it is only one or two in the Planning Department that keeps raising the bar each time a hurdle has been cleared and it looks like they are waiting for him to walk away so they don't have to deal with it.

There has been $millions of developments that have walked away from the Fraser Coast that would have been up and running, creating jobs and income to the area if the labour government in Qld hadn't amalgamated the local councils.

Out of 4 amalgamated councils, the bulk of expansions and development seems to be done in Hervey Bay.

Even Ray Charles could see whats going on.

1868789819_WatsonRdaerialview.JPG.68a0d9ba4254cc62a9488c2a32a4475e.JPG

This might sound harsh, but you have to forget the bit about millions of dollars in investment walking away and which Council has the least development because they won't count.

A key issue might be that it borders a Rural Residential Zone; I'll take a look at your Plannning Scheme and see what it says.

Another possible cause I won't post here, but PM me with your email address and hopefully I can get you some answers.

The Fraser Coast Regional Councilm is one of the worst I've ever dealt with. Case in point-

I had a block of land in Hervey Bay that backs onto a nature reserve, got a letter stating that I needed to clear the block as it was overgrown and 'vermin' would be using it as a staging post to launch attacks on civilisation. I ring the council and let them know that I will clear it as my usual slasher had lost my contact details after we moved house. I also let them know that the rec reserve at the back is pushing lantana and lots of other weeds through onto my block so I would appreciate a buffer zone cleared because of the obvious fire dangers/dangerous vermin entering etc. They stated they would send out an assessor to look at it.

I get a call from an assessor who tells me it's really bad (shock horror) and that they would clear it and wanted permission from me to enter my block to access the back. No worries me thinks, go for it and I ask them, can I clear some of the rubbish trees at the back of my block also? We'll get back to you was the reply.

Get a call about 3 months later from a councillor stating that the clearing work was going to be done on the council side (which they stated was quoted as costing a fortune!) but I couldn't touch mine as it was listed as 'endagered rain forrest!'. I would have to apply through the EPA and a heap of other gov. departments and of course, pay a handsome fee which they told me I would get, after paying the fee of course, to clear a few rubbish trees.

Get a call about a month later letting me know work has been done. Visit the block a few weeks later to see said work and find the back halk of MY block has been cleared, 'endangered rain forrest and all' and the council land untouched!

Ring said council and let them know the great news and hear a thud on the end of the line resembling a head striking a desk. Leave it with us is his reply. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif God knows how much that exercise cost rate payers.

One can only imagine the confusion and stress a project even remotely challenging would create?

Folks,

The biggest reason why local councils have been able to "get their own way", is because a small mountain of regulations and contracts have been ignored.

Re. Hervey Bay, it is highly probable that this aerodrome fell into the council's lap as an ALOP airport (Airport Local Ownership Plan), so those in the area should find out if this is the case.

Assuming it is ( was it originally a DCA airfield-Anybody remember??) Council's react to pressure groups, particularly if you target the individual Councillors.

If Hervey Bay airport is an ALOP airport, the council is almost certainly in breach of its ALOP Deed of Agreement (a contract with the Commonwealth), given what has been allegedly going on. However, any reversal of the trends is going to take local aviation people doing a lot of hard work, when it comes to local airport disputes, blow-ins have minimal impact.

It is local relentless politicking that produces results.

Watch:

<http://www.aviationadvertiser.com.au/category/airports-infrastructure> for a major story by Paul Phelan, in the very near future.

Regards,

Right Bill, but unfortunately it's not happening.

last year I managed to get a small window of opportunity at Federal Government level; I asked on this forum for help, and I think one person volunteered before the thread moved to a debate between personalities, and the opportunity passed by.

I was just doing some research for Blackhawk, and came across this opportunity which is available to anyone who wants to protect the dwindling supply of airfields right now:

Click on this link, for the Fraser Coast Regional Council, and what should come up on the front page is an invitation for you to comment on their Draft Aviation Strategy right now, with a link below it so you can see the strategy, and a link to a comment form.

Three items in the Draft Maryborough Airport Master Plan 2006 point to the possibilities that non aviation people have been keeping a closer relationship with Council tan the flyers:

"establish an aviation business precinct"

In other areas of Australia this has meant allowing factories and bulky goods outlets on the airfield, creating rotors, eliminating some runways, and

covering forced landing areas with factories

"establish an airport precinct incorporating residential accommodation"

As above, but with an exponential increase in objections to noise

"designate land for non-aviation commercial and/or retail use"

This is an interesting one. You have an airport, photos show Virgin signage, and the master plan has a target of designating it for commercial/retail

The question is, will anyone comment?

http://www.frasercoast.qld.gov.au/web/guest

Good Morning Sue

Scaryborough is a bit of pain, have you had a look at Gympie way?

Good people that way and need be "Airport Good"

Regards,

Keith Page.

I tried to add a submission but got You are not authorised.

I agree we need to be heard, if you think you may use these airports in the area ever you will need to inform the council. It is no good in 10 years time saying why did the airport dissapear if you do not comment.

If like me you are grounded think ahead to see what you will need.

Exactly, I've posted my objection via the coucil complaints form and anyone else who can will help the situation. We should all as a group let councils know that this is not in their interests.

If it is rejecting out of suburb, out of postcode submissions, the Council summary of submissions is likely to be in favour of the three items I posted earlier.

What they'll miss is the value to the town of the visitors (fuel, taxi, meals, motel, other spending).

I haven't flown there and more likely to go further north, so I won't be on their landings database, but maybe someone who flies in regularly could query the Council on why these submissions are being rejected.

Turboplanner,

Sadly, the (non) reaction you experienced is all too typical in Oz, those with a direct interest seem incapable of getting together for the common good, putting in the effort --- and a sustained effort ---- it is a hard slog with no certainty of a good outcome.

But, if you don't put in the effort, the outcome is certain.

Folks,

It is no use just lodging an objection on a council web site ---- the only way you will get action is to make a politician, local, State or Commonwealth feel threatened ----- sheer logic of a good case is trumped by developer dollars any time ----- unless the Councillor thinks he or she will not get in at the next elections ---- that trumps developer dollars.

You need every aviator in the area, and as many ring-ins as you can get, plus families and friends ---- and get to work politically.

There are some honorable exception, two people at Evans Head have been doing most of the heavy lifting for years. The Archerfield Chamber of Commerce efforts are very commendable, let's hope the outcomes are favourable.

None of it is rocket science, AOPA Australia even had a CD of how to get organised locally with an Airport Defense Committee ---- but it needs sustained commitment of a kind all to rare in the Australian aviation community -----

Which prefers tearing itself to pieces, with public mudslinging usually directed at those few who are making an effort on behalf of the aviation community, and thereby leaving the developers and their council mates a free run.

Regards,

Sometimes there's good news; if the lessee co-operates, we have ever so slightly turned the corner.

URL: http://www.minister.infrastructure.gov.au/aa/releases

MEDIA RELEASE

The Hon Anthony Albanese MP

Minister for Infrastructure, Transport,

Regional Development and Local Government

06 July 2010

AA419/2010

Moorabbin Airport Master Plan Approved

I have approved Moorabbin Airport's 2010 Master Plan which sets out its strategic direction and intended uses over the coming two decades.

In accordance with the Master Plan and consistent with the Government's Aviation White Paper, the Airport will take immediate steps to improve the way it engages nearby communities and responds to their concerns about safety and noise.

Firstly, the Airport will establish a new Planning Coordination Forum which brings together representatives from neighbouring councils and the Victorian Government to make sure its future developments are more consistent with local planning and take into account the capacity of the surrounding road infrastructure.

Importantly, the Airport has agreed not to allow the construction of non-aeronautical facilities such as large retail outlets on its land until they have undertaken at least 60 days of extensive public consultations and received approval from the Federal Transport Minister.

One of the Forum's early agenda items will be a possible relocation of helicopter operations.

Secondly, the Airport will work with my Department, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, Airservices, local instructors and the community to assess whether modifications to the existing training circuits would further reduce noise and improve safety over residential areas. I expect this work to take no longer than twelve months to complete.

In addition to these new measures which will give the community greater input into decisions that will ultimate affect their quality of life, the Moorabbin Airport Aviation Consultative Committee and 'Fly Friendly' arrangements will remain in place, meaning:

• On weeknights circuit training must cease by 10pm in the months of daylight saving and by 9pm during the rest of the year, with nightfall the cut-off on weekends;

• Fixed wing airesrcraft must remain above 1,000 feet over residential areas.

The Master Plan also foreshadows and allows the Airport to:

• Build additional aviation infrastructure such as hangars, maintenance facilities and parking bays, as well as provide for engineering and avionics businesses;

• Upgrade the runways, taxiways and terminal aprons; and

• Install better stormwater drainage and new water storage facilities.

Moorabbin Airport is and will remain a vital piece of aviation infrastructure, creating local jobs and training up to 800 would-be commercial pilots a year. However its operators have a responsibility to be good neighbours, mindful that their Airport's day-to-day operations impact on the lives of those living around it.

The Airport now has 50 business days to make its Master Plan public.

Why wasnt this done before DFO were allowed to build there

It appears to be too little too late and seen to be doing something whilst doing nothing

It must be an election year...........

Thereby Byron lies the fascination with Planning matters.

That's when you ask yourself "Who stands to gain by renting out DFO's at top dollar by comparison with hangarage?

• 3 weeks later...

Yengarie - Maryborough Qld airpark

We swung by Watsons Rd and had a look at the proposed airpark. The better half who was raised in the area asked around and was told the guy proposing the airpark has sold it to someone else. The end of the dream?

Sue

Guest ozzie

my local rag has what looks like some positive outlook from Cessnock Council over the airport with a 'explanation of draft development control plan' specific aims and objectives of the draft dcp are : to permit development that is suited to the ongoing use of the site as a functioning airport; to capitalise on the strong, strategic location of the airport and recognise the unique benifits that it brings to the region; to allow for appropriate onsite development that is sympathetic to existing, surrounding development and will minimise any potential environmental impact; to encourage the ongoing provision of infrastructure to the airport; to provide design guidelines for appropriate development forms on the site; and to encourage environmental protection of the site.

Sue,

Who was your better half talking to, I think he is very misinformed.

I know for a fact the current owner is the developer and it is still being delt with at the council and I was speaking to the owner earlier tonight, and he has owned the property for the last 5 years.

• 6 months later...

GOULBURN AIRPORT:

It is about time the Government came to the understanding that this is infrastructure that just cannot be replaced.

How about a proposal for a complex across the M3/ M7 intersection in Sydney's west - this is the same type of interference as that proposed at Evan's Head.

The closure/ destruction of Hoxton Park and the North/ South runway at Bankstown are just the same.

This is a raw grab for money with an abbregation of responsibility by those who are supposed to properly represent us in the community.

If it suits a "Government" to grab for money, they will do so, no matter what the human or other negative costs.

A good recent example is the recent "grab for cash" by Goulburn Council and the proposed sale of Goulburn Airport. There is no proper public consultation, just a rush to ignore the deed on the airport, which effectively precludes a sale.

Further this airport was placed in Council's hands by a private bequest for proper protection and use of the community, not sale. The same is the case for Evans Head and all airports covered by a Federal Government deed under the ALOP.