How do you pay for your flying?

Guest kiwilad

I chucked the wife out,gave up smoking,cut down on food a bit,sold the double cab and brought an old safari.Now if I work every hour I dont fly ,I can nearly afford it. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

i found the fool proof way to fly whenever you want... find an instructor for a boyfriend.... go halves in a savvy with said instructor / boyfriend.... and fly like crazy!of course... i plan to use up the kids inheritance.... and they have been informed their inheritance may take the form of serious debt by the time im finished.... but they get to have a cool mum who owns and flys a plane!

im sure all these responses to your initial question have been so very helpful... not! basically it comes down to money and how much you can earn and put aside for your passion. go for it ... you only live once!

GOOD ONYA FLIGHTYGIRL, your a legend and you nailed it with your last 4 words, and so wise, YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE, so true yea gooooo for it

Im not married/gf'd so do/spend as I please :-)

Trick is to pay with cash... so you dont ever have a paper trail of receipts you can look back on... and cry.

Only been flying for maybe 4 months and i swear the rate goes up like $4/hr everytime i check the site every few weeks.

Oh yeah.. If any instructors (or owners) need any high level IT network/security work done... perhaps we could work out a trade :) ?

hmm wonder if theres a "will trade XYZ to fly" thread somewhere.

If your a retired accountant, shouldn't you of invested your money into some sort of managed fund or share market? If you put 2000 dollars a year into a managed fund between the age of 20 and 30 and you fund was averaging a 10% return. By the time your over 50 you would have a bit over 200k with the 20k invested.

Because of compound interest and growing with inflation etc. So being a retired accountant, wouldn't you of invested?

Just a question. Haha. But I just work and save and as you can probably tell, I invest as well. But as you probably know,investing in the share market isn't always the best option.

Haven't you ever noticed that all these people with 'how to get rich' ideas are still working. Same goes for accountants, well the honest one at least. Just teasing.

My fool proof plan to fly more is to get a job as a casa inspector. Then show up at an airfield, pick a plane that looks fun and tell the owner that you are there to conduct a mandatory inspection on their aircraft. Give it a check over (make sure its safe enough), then tell them its time for the aloft portion of the inspection. For the stick time you tell the owner that you need to get a feel for any unsafe movement in the controls...

unfortunately casa doesn't want to talk to me about it. 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

I started on one lesson a week, thought can i go for 2 lessons a week.. thankfully the jabs are cheaper to learn in than the large cessna 172..

My wife said she bought a hair straightner recently.. what could i say, when i fly each week. lol. Buy what you like.

We afford to fly (Stanzahero) and I, due to me working long hours.

As everyone else has said. Work hard and don't fly as often as I like.

Bec

Hi there,when i started learning to fly,you could pay by the hour or well what i payed $2200 up front to get me up to solo stage.which is the way i went as i did'nt want to watch every hour and lose that enjoyment.It's hard when your starting out,no regets but you get to an age where you want to live a little.It's no use getting down the track and sayin wish i done this and that.As flightygirl said you only here once...Yea i know it's sometimes not easy lifes a battle.Had a few mates around for a beer so hope all this makes sense...:ah_oh: I'm confused ah ah

I'm still training, and due to current financial circumstances (back on one income because wife isn't working since the arrival of kid #3) i t means I can only afford to train once a fortnight, something I'm not too happy with, but I am keeping on top of things ok so far (apparently).

No point causing too much financial stress to the family! When the wife goers back to work next year I'll increase the frequency.

After I get my ticket I'm looking at buying an Xair or similar to keep myself up in the air that way without spending hideous amounts of cash.