Lost Prop Video - WOW!

Guest Jakey

Guest disperse

It states that he had catastrophic engine failure (oil starvation) causing the prop to spin up to "what seemed like turbine speeds".

Wha ? .... would seem more likly that the engine seized that quick that the prop couldn't stop in time. Thus removing it's self from the front of the plane.

And guessing that the noise was the engine seizing not the prop.

But I've been wrong before. And it may just happen again some day !

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to the video a couple of times, and allowing for sound/distance time, it seems more likely the prop disintegrated (the initial bang) followed by the engine winding up to around probably 10,000rpm whereupon it also disintegrated (my opinion).

The story here at the EAA website with some good photo's of the engine.

Arthur.

Question: What is a dead stick landing. is it a stopped prop or something to do with the control stick ???

A deadstick landing, also called a dead-stick landing or forced landing, occurs when an aircraft loses all of its propulsive power and is forced to land. The term is often misunderstood, as the flight controls in the majority of aircraft are either fully or partially functional, even with no engine power. Instead, the term refers to the wooden propeller (the "stick") being stopped in an engine-out setting.

Wha ? .... would seem more likly that the engine seized that quick that the prop couldn't stop in time. Thus removing it's self from the front of the plane.

Don't quote me on this but I think it is something along the lines of the prop needing oil pressure to maintain a course pitch (high gear for car nuts) and when the oil pressure is lost it reverts back to a take off pitch ( low gear ).

You could simulate the results by (VERY NOT RECOMMENDED) cruising along the highway at 100 kph, then dropping it back to first gear....

You could simulate the results by (VERY NOT RECOMMENDED) cruising along the highway at 100 kph, then dropping it back to first gear....

Hah! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif, I did that many years ago to my friend's car who was teaching me to drive.

I was travelling along along the M4 (then F4) in Sydney at the speed limit of 70 miles per hour (about 115 km/h). He advised me to "drop it back to third" when we approached the off-ramp "to save brake wear"!. I found it very difficult to get it into that gear but what I was really doing was forcing it into first gear. When the clutch was engaged the engine shuddered, screamed and valve-bounced and the tyres left two parallel black stripes on the road. The person behind us nearly ran up the back of us, because we slowed down suddenly without any brake lights coming on.

My mate was far from impressed 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif.

Dead Stick Landing - meaning?

I think the term 'Dead Stick Landing' harks back to the early days of aviation when they discovered that if the fan up front stops, the loss of airflow over the control surfaces results in loss of tactile feedback through the control stick. It felt dead and unresponsive. Hence - Dead Stick

Not about the dead wooden prop.

PeterT