Painting Prop Blades

pudestcon

My Thruster will be fitted with a s/h prop from a Thruster that I did all my conversion training in, so I know the prop is serviceable. The prop does look a little shabby so I want to paint it to look like new. It's a 3 blade composite prop (sorry don't know the brand) so how do I go about painting it? Sand it back, primer, top coats, what sort of paint? All questions I need answers to, and I'm sure you guys will be able to give me much advice about it:big_grin:

Cheers,

Pud

Pud,I would be very wary of painting a prop unless you have an appropriate way of re-balancing it when you are done.

Cheers

Mick

G'day Mick, and thanks for replying.

Yeh I am aware that the prop will need rebalancing, and that is something I need to study up on before I attempt any painting. I'll need to hit the books and ask lots of questions to see if it is a DIY project or all too hard (and safer:helmet:), so leave it alone.

Cheers,

Pud

Guest davidh10

Pud;

Since the prop is composite, why not just some polish. The coating is too thin to cause unbalance, but makes an old prop look much better. It does have to be reapplied periodically.

Pud;Since the prop is composite, why not just some polish. The coating is too thin to cause unbalance, but makes an old prop look much better. It does have to be reapplied periodically.

Good point david,

I didn't think about polishing - what would you recommend using?

Pud

That's a Brolga prop, and this is how I had mine painted for years. No problems. Just clean the blades thoroughly with turps then scrub with a jex pad and paint. Keep the paint as thin as possible. Balance by spraying more coats of clear laquer on the lightest blade. If you've already tried ArmorAll then the paint won't stick at all......

1458564140_Brolgaon(Small).JPG.dce9a225b543e380676124bb5c9b62ce.JPG

Spray/brush

You would want to spray paint it wouldn't you? to ensure a complete even coating.

If you used a brush, my thoughts would be highly uneven coating?

Btw JG3, your prop always stands out really well.

What ever you decide to do with the prop, do not put polish on it (Silicon Polish) as any type of repairs will not be able to be carried out if needed. The old Brolga prop builder told me that. Can't think of his name at the moment.

Lanoline will keep them looking good.

Harthy

Guest davidh10
Good point david,I didn't think about polishing - what would you recommend using?

Pud

I'm using Aeroshell Flightjacket Polish. Info on Shell's web site. I'm also using some of their other products in this series including the Interior Conditioner. These don't leave an oily residue that attracts dust.

I'm aware of a blade that has been recently repaired after using this polish regularly for over a year. No problem.

It should'nt really matter what type of polish or cleanersd you use. If you do any painting you should give the area a wipe down with Prepsol or other simular wax/grease/silicone remover. I have used this for years on all surfaces including composite that has had grease,oil silicone,bug guts and all manner of polishes rubbed into it and it does a great job of removing it. Even after sanding you should use it as a lot of sandpapers have silicone on them.