ausgee

ausgee

New Builder

Welcome Ausgee - I'm in Queanbeyan not too far from you and building a RV-12. You'll enjoy building, its a very satisfying pastime (if a little frustrating at times). Like most builders, I have almost every tool known to man so if you need anything, want some encouragement or just want to see a build in progress, you can contact me here.

Where will you fly from when you get the Pietenpol finished?

Denmit

ausgee replies

Hi there thanks for the welcome. Scotty I have been looking at your progress on the piet. Very impressive. I pass through Queanbeyan several times a week. I work on Hot tubs in Canberra.

More about me. Thirty years in the avionics business. Worked on big and little ones. Spent 5 years building test equipment for large aircraft.

Anybody got any pietenpol parts or plans? What are the legal hurdles that you have to jump over?

Welcome Ausgee - I'm in Queanbeyan not too far from you and building a RV-12. You'll enjoy building, its a very satisfying pastime (if a little frustrating at times). Like most builders, I have almost every tool known to man so if you need anything, want some encouragement or just want to see a build in progress, you can contact me here. Where will you fly from when you get the Pietenpol finished?

Denmit

HI Denmit. I spent most of my time flying through brick storms and staying up all night to get something flying again.

Now I am only going to fly on nice days. I will probably follow Sonja around. Let her wander somewhere in a camper and land near by.

I haven't seen much of aus since coming here so I will probably go where the wind takes me.

Hi there Ausgee, Welcome To the Forum Mate. You will find plenty of friends here, and friendly advice, so good luck with the Build ay ! oh oh oh what a feelin ! Tarago ! ...

I have been to lightning ridge. And Grawin. It is one of the places that I want to fly back to.

Hi ausgee....get building boy!...:big_grin:

Plans are available form the Pietenpol family in the USA. Jim Wills in the UK has a supplemental set which has to be used if building the Piet in the UK. Has a built up spar and a few other little changes which increases the MTOW to 1200 pound which is right on the donger for RAA registaration here in OZ. Because the Piet is built off plans, there are few parts available as everyone is different. There are guys in the USA and UK who make different parts like tail wheels and metal fittings but just be sure what you are buying.

The legal issues? Are you registering RAA or GA? That is the determining factor. I will register mine RAA so as I built the plane and engine, I can service it myself rather than paying a LAME....or you say you are a LAME anyway so what ever suits your personal situation.

On my site lists all the suppliers I have bought stuff from. Spruce is available here and works out about the same as bringing it in from the USA with the freight.

Anyway if you have anymore specific questions just ask.

Scotty :thumb_up:

ausgee....when Jim Wills finally replies he is quick with postage once payment is received. He only accepts a bank draft so you will need to post that to him. The Pietenpols were very slow getting the plans to me. Took over a month! Hard when you are so enthusiastic having to wait...lol!

Scotty :black_eye:

cnc cutters

I was heartened to see that a lot of web sites for hot rodders sell 4130 steel.

I am about to start drawing the files for the various metal bits of the Piet.

Anybody have recommendations for CNC cutters in the canberra area?

Builders Log

I was muddling through the legal stuff on the RAA site and they mention an RAA builders log. It doesn't appear to be listed in the price list. Is it a requirement or is a website or pictoral log the go?

G'day Ausgee, I'm building my RV-12 under SAAA auspices and will register VH. I'd reckon the RAAus requirements would be the same however, and I have a simple log on my 'puter' using MS Excel with photos inserted which meets the SAAA requirements (backed up to a separate drive nightly). Columns are date - time started - time finished - time cumulative - work completed - remarks. I have another three pages in the spreadsheet to record the costs of those things which will actually fly (e.g. the kit, paint), costs of things that won't fly (e.g. tools or freight) and one for visitors (e.g. Technical Counsellors).

Just set up a simple Excel spreadsheet or a table in MS Word, and you'll meet the requirements.

See you've started ordering stuff - beauty.

Denmit