Any AOPA members here?

Guest burbles1

Guest burbles1

Been thinking lately of possibly joining AOPA. I've noticed, from expressing interest in developing a Sydney airfield, that AOPA is more "activist-oriented" than RA-Aus. They seem to lobby government more actively, and publish the results of their work so that everyone is informed (I like that).

Husband & I have been members - me since 1994 and him from 1995. The organisation has been fraught with infighting but the skills they learn from posturing against each other work magnificently when it comes to fighting for the membership. I have literature on file from the "Vegemite" fuel contamination affair with a fighting fund, lobbying, support for affected members - and they did have some good wins and gave the govt some pause for thought before trying heavy handed "ground everything ASAP" type reactions again. That's only one campaign. They email around any big issues, magazine is good too.

They individually support people facing CASA prosecution and lobby, raise awareness and generally promulgate issues with regard to legislation and treatment of the flying community. Majority of members don't see all the work they do, but when you need them they are worth the subscription. RAAus is a social club against this lot. We are members of both because aviation in Australia needs both.

Sue

Agree...

Agree with all of that. RAAus has to be nice to CASA because they are scared of it. (Same as Airline management who won't support it's pilots). Some might not like me saying that, but too bad. AOPA has the job of watchdog and warning and representing pilots, and when some ridiculous rule comes out, fighting to have it changed/cancelled. A lot of pilots don't think they need it. I believe they are wrong, because I have seen plenty of examples where Justice was not very evident, and it doesn't just happen to "BAD" pilots, either. Nev

I think the difference between RAAus and AOPA and why RAAus is a "Social Club" compared to AOPA is that RAAus exists simply because CASA allows them to, they can at a stroke of a pen close RAAus as a Governing Body and just make them a "Social Club". On the other hand is AOPA which CASA can't do anything about as they exist as a type of Pilot "Union" then a Governing Body.

If RAAus causes any pain to CASA in terms of lobying too strong etc CASA will just take over the administration of under 600kg MTOW aircraft...don't think they would really want to though...imagine the headache then

Yes, I am an AOPA member, too and have been on and off for 30 years. Sue has given a pretty good outline of the organisation and its work and I think anyone with a current involvement in flying, whether pilot or pilot/owner, would be well served by joining it.

Being independant of government approvals and any particular lobby group, it can give a clear and unhindered voice when it articulates policy positions on such issues as ADS-B, and blanket directives without industry consultation.

In respect to ADS-B proposals, the October AOPA Pilot Extra contains a discussion on the FAA approach and warns that dual systems are being implemented by 2010 in the USA. These will rely on both Universal Access Transceiver (UAT) and 1090 Mhz Extended Squitter (1090ES) technology. UAT is regarded as the one for GA below 18,000' because it can transmit weather reports while the other is for the heavy metal stuff. According to the article, new UAT products are appearing but little is happening with the 1090ES equipment and it is the latter that looks likely to be the basis for ADS-B in Australia, primarily because Airservices Australia's existing equipment can utilise it. This leads to two issues straight up: buying an aircraft from the US that is sold "ADS-B equipped" may be a costly exercise if the avionics don't work here; and prices for stuff that will do the job for us are likely to be very high because of the limited market compared to GA in America. I guess price isn't a huge consideraiton if you are updating a 767?

Another issue, as far as I can follow the arguments, is that we will be required to equip with ADS-B IN and OUT even though ground stations will only be able to follow OUT and Traffic Information Services for no IFR will probably not be available. But this is highly technical stuff and I am grateful that the experts in AOPA can advise on the more basic pros and cons.

kaz

Guest studentbiggles

Yes I'm a member to, have been from the start of my flight training since July 2009. AOPA keeps me informed of all vital issues via email and the mag is good to and I personally like their approach of looking/dealing with all things in aviation from a prospective of a tolal overview of all parties which gives you the views from all angles of the arguements.

My two bobs worth..............Alley

Guest burbles1

Thanks everyone - my mind is made up then. I'd rather side with an organisation that fights tooth and nail for flyers' rights, than trying to kick a dead (RA-Aus) horse to get any committed action.

Member since 1963, and been involved in all the high's and low's, the battles against CASA's often capricious decisions, the ongoing fight to access airspace, and for pilots rights to a fair hearing. For all the reasons given by previous posters, it's a worthwhile organisation to support.

happy days,

Guest burbles1

Well, I did hear murmerings of past squabbles, but it looks like the leadership now is quite assertive regarding airfield closures etc. and representing their members. I joined a few days ago, and happy my money's going to have visible outcomes for pilots and aviation.

Sad late entrant to this forum - I was an AOPA member but let it lapse because I had been persuaded that the RAAus would best support my aims and aspirations as both a PPL and a Pilot certificate holder. I own two aircraft and find the current RAAus board lacking. They are badly managed, secretive, and cuurently seem to be the very last people I would involve to support and aviation issue I had. Further- I am 'bomb proof' at the moment because I hold both a current PPL and Ultralight licence - but I view the future with the current RAAus borad at the helm with dismay.

I'll await events - but may well rejoin AOPA (their caps are really nice - just a joke)

Docjell

Hi All After the last weeks trying to involve other recreational flyers in forums and being censored for stating the obvious to anyone with a modicum of intelligence I followed this post with great interest. I use to be an AOPA member but all the political nonsense that was happening was off putting in the extreme and I did not renew my membership for 5 years. I renewed it today. The RAAusboard are a law unto themselves and do not seem to realize their moral obligation of transparency to their members. They have us in a stranglehold since they hold all the cards with regard to LSA and Ultralight registration - will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of years. I may even re-register my aircraft in GA category until the RAAus settles into being a professional organisation.

I have been a member since about 1978! It was a bit tough staying with it through the turbulent times but they seem back on track now.

I get two mags - Australian Pilot and Pilot Extra, both good - one for the general public and one for members only. There is a good discount if you are a member of an affiliated club. RA-Aus is one.

cheers

Australian AOPA.

AOPA is about the ONLY organisation prepared to go to battle for us in the bad situation we are in. Your Subs are an investment in your future as an aviator in australia. RAAus are doing little to advance your future prospects. It's almost like don't talk about it and it will go away. Nev