Sav down at Gladstone

Kyle Communications

I wonder if this was the same guy who had the bingle at Kilcoy or someone else?

AN ultra-light plane has flipped in a gust of wind during take-off and crashed near Gladstone, injuring the pilot.

Fire and ambulance crews responded to the crash at Wurdong Heights, south of Gladstone, about 3pm today.

A 49-year-old man, believed to be the only person on board, was taken to Gladstone Hospital in a stable condition.

Police said the man was attempting to take-off in his Savannah model aircraft - an ultra-light recreational plane - when a gust of wind "interupted the plan".

The plane then cartwheeled 200m down a hill before coming to rest in a paddock.

A Department of Community Safety spokeswoman said the man had soft tissue injuries and lacerations which were non-life-threatening.

This is the same pilot who recently wrote off his home built Savvy. I forget where, but the insurance came good and he got his new factory built Savvy about a month ago. I havn't talked to him yet, but I am told he was taking off and a wind gust hit him. His strip runs along a ridge I believe. My personal opinion of him was that he is a competent pilot and I flew with him in that plane. be interesting to hear from the horses mouth.

• 4 months later...