16 + Merlins

Deskpilot

Guest studentbiggles

011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif:big_grin: :thumb_up:.............Absolutely "Brilliant"............Gotta love those "Spitty's"

Thanks for sharing..........Alley

Lucky you. It's been about 40 years since I was close to a Spit. The B.o.B. flight was on my station and I used to marshal them at shows, clean them when I could, along with the Hurries and Lancaster, City of Lincoln. Got some faded photos some where. I'll post them if and when I find them.

Guest eland2705

Thanks, that was great.

Whilst watching that I was thinking that after about 20 odd hours, BoB pilots were operational, flying in formations like that on most days. Did they have to have a "close formation" endo in their licences?

I wonder how many WWII aircraft (and pilots for that matter) would have been allowed to fly if they had the strict OH&S / CASA restrictions we have to put up with.

One of my Fondest memories of going the the UK in 1998,was going to Duxford and soaking in the atmosphere.I was lucky to be working for British Aerospace at the time and being able to wonder through the maintenance hangars where a couple of spitfires where being O/H or being rebuilt from wrecks.It was amazing to see so many Spitfires in one place.

Guest davidh10

Great video. Thanks.

I too had the opportunity while working in the UK, quite a lot of years back, to go to the Duxford Airshow and see among other aircraft, the only flying Lancaster, do a circuit. Amazing big lumbering thing. Makes you wonder how they got off the ground with a full load of ordnance.

WW2 Pilots experience.

I was talking to an old chap about 2 years ago who had done a total of 27 bombing missions across Germany. Think he had been trained in Australia and Canada, and gone through the usual types ending up on the Lancaster.

He said that he had a TOTAL time at the end of the war of around 270 hours. We discussed the flying charactistics of a lot of those planes, and particularly the Avro Lancaster, which he thought unremarkable and quite docile to land.. It is a TAILwheel aircraft but that was the norm.

I think the Max Wt was about 65,000 lbs, but I think an engine failure on take off would see you with little spare powerto keep flying.

He must have been in the mood to talk that day, as the chap who introduced him to me said he had never been known to talk about his time in the war.

I have flown with close to a hundred WW2 pilots and they NEVER talked about it either, and looking back on it, it was a RARE privilege, to fly with them. The more I study their experiences I belatedly realise what they did and went through. Nev

Lucky you. It's been about 40 years since I was close to a Spit. The B.o.B. flight was on my station and I used to marshal them at shows, clean them when I could, along with the Hurries and Lancaster, City of Lincoln. Got some faded photos some where. I'll post them if and when I find them.

It is the 2nd time I have been to the airshow at Duxford. It should be on every pilots bucket list

Here are some piccies of the flightline this year.

I also have a movie clip of the BoB Memorial Flight flypast that I will upload as soon as I figure out how to do it

448591795_DSC00896(Medium).JPG.3406f50a904635267ca231ae4e6c9fdc.JPG

213860038_DSC00901(Medium).JPG.78c3cf9affe05d2d81baf8845a0dbc49.JPG

1832238343_DSC00904(Medium).JPG.ef8e5be594fe17756c3aa7b35987bfce.JPG

1995765961_DSC00957(Medium).JPG.562436c730cd96c92bd584ae48a3ca50.JPG