Had my first flight in a LSA 55 today

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sfGnome: my instructor thinks that that particular LSA55 is set up for single person use and the weight of the right seat occupant is what is making it always roll right.

to prove it, he got out. I then learnt what the term 'homesick angel' means.

Cool Hildy! Was that first solo? 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif

And apart from getting to 1000AGL before turning crosswind, did it make a difference to the trim? I've never noticed the presence of a passenger affecting the trim before - climb yes, but not trim.

I think it was more than 300fpm. more like 500fpm. climbed at something like 1700fpm without the instructor, on a cold dense morning.

also much harder to force down. i may have pushed the "simulation" part of the exercise a bit by coming in low and flat, throttled back. pretty heavy.

nailing that final crosswind landing when my instructor called me in due to adverse winds felt really good.

just need my last 4 solo hours and I'll be about ready is what my instructor says.

• 1 month later...

Well, got my XC endo today. Flew from Murray Bridge to Gawler with a brief stopover at Rowland Flat. Was a good flight and I didn't do anything much wrong so all legal to go to Temora now!

So in 4 and a half months and 32 hours I've gone from having a PPL® (not having flown for almost 20 years) to having a RA Pilot cert with XC, passenger and radio endos. Pretty happy overall and looking forward to Temora now. We're leaving Thursday and will arrive sometime Thursday arvo.

Well I got to mingle with a bunch of gliders when I arrived there for my touch and go! That was fun. There were gliders parked all over the runways and when they heard my inbound call they moved them all off the runways for me - was a lot of fun! I'll be stopping at Truro at some stage once I get back from Temora.

Congratulations Thirsty. Was nice meeting you yesterday, the first fellow forumite I've ever met I believe.

OOPs, brain fade, just remembered a couple of others, soo sorry guys and gals. Bugger this getting old bit. Thank God I haven't forgotten how to fly. Yesterday was the first time since November last year.

Deskpilot - yes was good to meet you to - yo're definately the first forum member I've met!

Hildy - I was cutting it very close. If I didn't get it I would have been doing a very long navex :) Sorry to hear you can't make it too. We are camping underwing at this stage though I've made another post asking if anyone is renting a house I could take a room in.

• 10 months later...

Hey all, just thought I'd revive this old post and let you all know what I've been up to. I now have about 130 hrs and am almost finished my instructor rating. I have tw, ts and lp endos now as well - in a 582 lightwing.

I've been an l2 for a while now and have done lots of work on jabs mostly. I have also bought a 160 with a couple of mates. We bought the aircraft in Perth and flew it home over 2 days. A very interesting trip that taught us a lot about planning and weather. We departed kalgoorlie heading for Forrest for our overnight stay but didnt quite make it. We ran out of daylight well before last light but it was stormy and cloudy so the light wasn't too good. We put down on a bush strip about 60 miles short of Forrest. I wouldn't have wanted to do another circuit as it was getting fairly dark. We didn't have any camping gear so we spent a very long night in and under the plane! It blew about 30knots all night and it rained on and off. A miserable night!

We departed that strip at 4:30am and arrived home at YMBD at 5:45, a very long day with headwinds and turbulence the whole way.

Anyway, that's where I'm at and I'm very glad I stuck with it. Reading back over this thread I can't believe the trouble i had at the beginning

But it's been very rewarding!

• Like 3

Forrest is there for Virgin apparently. The aircraft they use to fly to Perth don't have the range to hold long enough I think so Forrest is their alternate.

It's very strange landing on those huge runways in a J160! We felt like we were in a 737 or something :)