Degreasers on plastics

Guest burbles1

Guest burbles1

Is a standard degreaser recommended for cleaning fibreglass/composite surfaces (e.g. Jabiru)? Are there any chemicals in some degreasers likely to affect the integrity of these surfaces?

Degreasers and fibreglass.

You are right to ask the question. I am sure that some chemicals would be detrimental to the resin as even alcohol is. I would be wary of most degreasers as I have found them to be caustic as well as having powerful solvents. Check with Jabiru. Nev

Jabirus are built using Epoxy resin, so Acetone is the preferred cleaner for use on Epoxies, MEK is a great degreaser/solvent also, but its nasty stuff.

a good solvent degreaser for Polycarbonates is Petroleum Ether.

but always test ins a small area first and give it a day just to be sure, i have used Acetone on a repair of early LSA Jabirus.

I have two suggestions:

1. Maguire's Fine Cut Cleaner, which is a non-abrasive car polish available from places like Supercheap Autos.

2. We use a water-based aircraft wash called "X-IT". One part X-IT to 2 - 10 parts water for heavy soil/degreasing. 1:10 - 75 for general washing.

I don't supply it. It's available from Aviall at $26.12 per US Gallon. Also available in as quart bottle at $8.75.

It's all tree-hugging Green.

OME

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any recommendations for polishing/shining up a Jabiru? I've wondered about what to use after giving my a/c a clean, ie. what else I could do to make it look that little bit better, you know, to impress the ladies?

Hi Burbles 1 and Relfy,

We usually use brake cleaner on our jabiru underneath when it gets a bit oily or dirty, we dont use carby clean or heavy degreasers as they can strip paint and Relfys question about polish you should not use anything with silicone in it as if you have to do a repair at a later time the area affected by the silicone will be harder to repair and paint

Brian