ERSA app for the Desire?

flying dog

Guest davidh10

As ERSA is published as a series of PDFs, you can just download the PDFs and put them on your SD Card in a directory structure that makes sense. I doubt you need the whole lot and you have to dump it every time a new release comes out anyway. Just add the pages and sections you need as you need them.

The PDF reader on the phone will find PDFs in almost any directory, so just create a structure that makes sense. Documents in each separate directory is displayed in a group in the document selection dialog.

I do the same with the aircraft manuals, rather than carrying paper ones in the aircraft.

In practice, I usually read them on my laptop, but they are on the phone if the laptop isn't handy.

Get into it sseeker... and good luck.

Seems that Iphone is popular... but I know plenty of people who like me are not prepared to go Apple... I support true open source... and I don't think Apple is. Just because Microsoft sucks... doesn't mean you should have to by an Apple. Apple is like the other side of the coin to Microsoft... but the future needs a new currency...

This product for on and offline reading of ERSA looks interesting - it is apparently ready for the iPhone, and an Android version (according to their website) is on its way.

If it holds true to its annual subscription, I will be interested.

It is also licenced by AirservicesAustralia

OzRunways EFB – Know Where You’re Going | OzRunways

Thanks folks.

As I said, Ultralights showed me his I-Phone and the APP. It was the complete ERSA.

(Ok, check with him to be sure.)

But it had all airports, runways, etc. Danger areas, Restricted areas, and so on.

Just as the number of people with these kind of phones is increasing it would be nice to have something like that handy instead of needing the ERSA with you everywhere.

Yes, I know that is opening a can of worms, but maybe the rules need to be looked at/reviewd.

I shall check that link out. It may be worth bookmarking.

Guest davidh10

Interesting, but the last paragraph of the license somewhat reduces its usefulness.

... Therefore at time of release, the app is Not for use in Air Navigation, until such clarification or certification can be obtained by CASA. In all cases, the pilot in command is responsible for the safe navigation of the aircraft. CASA remains the authoritative source on all air safety directions in Australia and use of the product must comply with all applicable Civil Aviation Regulations.

So, it's fine for looking at, but you still have to separately download and print the information from Airservices web site for your use in flight planning and during the flight to be legal.

Yes. I know nobody reads licence agreements... but it does not change the legality of using it if you don't.

One has to ponder the rationale of Airservices Australia granting a licence in a situation like this when the terms of the licence debar you from using it for its intended purpose. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Be it OzRunways or Airservices, an APP would be nice.

Yes, it is annoying that the law still says you have to have an uptodate ERSA with you on your flights, but offer you the online option as well.

I guess it allows you to go online, print the airports you need and only carry them.

The idea of getting a ring binder ERAS and every time you go flying you take out the relevant pages to me is more trouble than it is worth.

at the present time you need paper copies of the relevent ERSA pages, but this is only because CASA and its lawers havnt updated their policies to the digital era yet.

the ozrunways app is great even though you cant legally use it in flight...... yet. it not only is the ERSA but also the Runway distance Suppliment, the DAP east and west, AIP and GEN publications.

its great in use with pre flight planning as it is easy access to approach plates in the apps, and helps in situational awareness when planning your approach to an airport, where to expect aircraft flying the NDB/VOR/GNSS approaches for each runway etc

now i just hope the subscription costs comes in at a reasonable price....considering its still not really legal to use yet. but once it becomes a legal copy and is up to date, then if the cost is better than or matches the cost of the paper copies, well, then ill get a smaller nav bag.

......now i just hope the subscription costs comes in at a reasonable price....considering its still not really legal to use yet. but once it becomes a legal copy and is up to date, then if the cost is better than or matches the cost of the paper copies, well, then ill get a smaller nav bag.

$50 a year for ERSA, AIP and DAP East &West - great price, methinks

or $25 for each separate product

Guest OzRunways

[Posted by Rowan]

Thanks for downloading - I encourage everybody to at least have a look at the app. There are way more features coming in the months ahead.

In regards to legality, we cannot discuss how OzRunways EFB can be used since that is not our role in Aviation. Airservices Australia cannot even tell you how you can use their publications - that is CASA's job. We are sure there are plenty of ways our app can be used to enhance convenience and safety in Aviation that will justify the subscription price [about 1/4 the cost of paper copies].

Therefore, until CASA clarify otherwise, we must (for legal protection & air safety in general) take the conservative recommendation of Not for use in Air Navigation.

In terms of CASA regs, they were looking at this issue but it looks to be shelved for now: Project OS 02/06. Aircraft operators may wish to contact CASA directly for more clarification.

CASA hopefully may follow the lead of the US FAA which has clarified their regs to allow portable EFB's such as the iPad in certain circumstances.

Wikipedia EFB - Has good info on EFB regs in general.

FAA AC 120-76A - Details definitions of Classes & Types of EFB's & software.

FAA AC 91-78 - Use of Class 1 or 2 EFB.

Tsk tsk tsk BlackRod.

Do I detect a bit of resentment.

Yes, what you say is true, however you did seem to skip over the part which says this is happening to just about everthing and it is a trend for most businesses.