OzRunways - ERSA DAPS & AIP on iPhone and iPad

Guest OzRunways

Guest OzRunways

Hi guys I'd like to introduce our product to the recreational flying community:

OzRunways - know where you're going

The app is free to download and has 1 month free subscription to test it out. Download from the app store & give it a go. After that you can choose to purchase an annual subscription for a very low fee:

ERSA - $25 / year

DAP East & West - $25 / year

AIP - $25 / year

or All-in-one $50/year

ERSA includes the Runway Distance Supplement (RDS) as well as all other sections.

DAP East & West is a compilation of every approach plate in Australia. Quickly reference these anywhere from your pocket or view in high quality on iPad.

AIP contains the full 850 page 'rule book', fully indexed with intelligent text search to find the reference you are after quickly.

Print ERSA & DAPS to compatible AirPrint printers (or via iTunes).

Download the complete documents at home so you can use whenever there is no phone coverage.

All content is properly licensed, so we aren't going anywhere soon!

[posted by Rowan]

I downloaded this a few days ago for my iPad, and it's very impressive - user friendly compared to downloading from Airservices.

And having it all stored on the iPad (downloaded via WiFi to minimise 3G charges!) means you're not dependent on the phone connection.

Guest OzRunways

Android Version

Any idea on when the Android version is likely to surface?

We are talking with somebody now. It will most likely be a few months away (Q1/Q2 2011)

[Posted by Rowan]

i cant wait for Garmin, or any other GPS manufacturer, or developer to come up with a Augmented reality system, imagine looking through a transparent panel, simiar to HUD, but instead of flight information on the screen, you can see the airspace steps, boundaries, flight path flight director etc, all on the screen augmenting the view through the windscreen, not to mention approach plates, ILS, RNAV, NDBs paths in 3d right in front of you to fly.

i dont thinks its far away, we now have the ERSA and Approach data on mobile format in the cockpit, thanks to Rowan, transparent LCD screens are available, moving map technology is already i use, all it will take is someone to write the software and build it.

back to the app, what if it could use the GPS and location data to automatically give you the ERSA pages and DAP data thats closest to you at that time, or within a set radius, that would be sweet, help in planning diversions etc. even better if/when CASA allow it to be used inflight as a legitimate approved copy of said data

Guest OzRunways

[posted by Rowan]

Yes I agree this is the future. The benefits are overwhelming:

- Save paper

- Cheaper

- Quicker to reference & look up things.

- Portable

- Easier to update & keep updated.

Downsides so far - No clarification by CASA yet, so still includes the disclaimer 'Not for use in Air Navigation'. We believe there are still a lot of good uses pilots will find with this product that will increase air safety & convenience without use in Air Navigation directly.

The US FAA has already allowed Type I & II Electronic Flight Bags (like iPad) in the cockpit under FAA AC-120-76A and AC-91-78. The FAA allows small, non-commercial operators to use Class I & II EFB's without specific operational approval if it is "functionally equivalent" to paper. They make it the Captain's choice but recommend carrying paper backups.

Sorry but we cannot tell pilots how to use OzRunways - that is CASA's job. Hopefully they give some clarification soon!

Guest OzRunways

[posted by Rowan]

Yeah you have to enter a username (recommend your email address, but you don't have to) in Settings under UserID. This will generate an account good for a free months trial automatically. That should give enough time to check it all out & make up your own mind about how useful it will be.

Hi Rowan,

Looks great thanks... On the initial registration page it may help to have some words advising what to do after entering a user ID.. It allows a download of ERSA etc but doesnt say your user ID has been sent / saved. Maybe just a button "submit" would do it.. Just a thought as a first time user..

Guest OzRunways

Thanks Chris - we are putting in a splash screen in v1.1 to make the registration a little more intuitive.

For people who are a little confused, all you do (first time running the app) is type your email or a username into the UserID field and press "return" on the keyboard. After that, your subscriptions should go green and you can now use the app for a 1 month free trial.

• 2 weeks later...

Downloaded this app on my iPad and love it so easy to use and it's all at your finger tips I hate searching through my ersa looking for strips just search and it's there great job guys

Guest OzRunways
Downloaded this app on my iPad and love it so easy to use and it's all at your finger tips I hate searching through my ersa looking for strips just search and it's there great job guys

Thanks Jayz

We are about to release v1.1 which will make it even easier to find things. Check out the preview on our blog:

http://www.ozrunways.com/site/blog/