My first gps

Jayz

Guest davidh10
Hi there just wanting some advice on everyones thoughts on what is a good GPS and value for money.

You will get a full range of opinions here. Some people use battery operated hiking GPS units and ordinary street maps.

I recommend the Garmin Aera 550. It isn't cheap, but it isn't nasty either. Comes with 12 months updates for the aviation maps which expire every 28 days. It is a serious (non-TSO) GPS and is powered directly from the aircraft via a mounting bracket but also runs 4 hours on the internal rechargeable battery.

It OS also an excellent automotive GPS and I use it for GeoCaching too.

To find out more you can download the operators manual from their web site.

QUOTE=Jayz;254799]Hi david thanks, it's so hard to choose I don't mind paying the money for the safety side off it, I will go to there site and have a look thanks

Hi Jayz, you can buy a GPS here at CLEAR PROP which will help with the running of this site.

I use a Garmin 295 (the current model is the 495-6) and have had no problems in several years and a lot of miles now. But I also use the Airnav program with moving map facility running through my laptop to a 5" TFT screen mounted above the panel.

The Garmin gives me a lot of useful info about track, GS, heading and WTFAMI. The moving map gives me my exact position on digitised versions of the Air Services charts. All very handy, especially if you do a lot of travelling outback.

Some of the guys on this site are much more IT savvy than me and they know how to run similar charts on less expensive equipment. Keep on reading this topic and no doubt some really helpful stuff will follow.

I guess the answer really hangs on you spending as much as you can reasonably afford on equipment that will do the essential job for you.

kaz

Guest davidh10
aahh kaz3g i like the lap top idea. Its so hard to make choice all this info is a great help

I also use Airnav VFR to plan navs and then print the official Airservices maps (licensed) with track and notes on them. It also gives you fuel calculations for each leg and a route table with track, heading distances, times etc.

I don't use the moving map capability as that is what the GPS does and space is at a premium in a trike.

The Aera also provides lookup info on airfields with runway direction, frequencies length altitude pal fuel availability etc. The AOPA and SafeTaxi along with weather display are not applicable in Australia.

Garmin 496 is not current although you may find old stock. The 500 and 550 are now the current models.

Guest davidh10
David so this airnav VFR is a program you buy off the internet I take it ?..that runs on laptop

Yes. That's right. See http://www.sentientsoftware.com.au

I'll pm you my phone number and if you like I can discuss my experiences with you. It is easier to ask and answer a lot more in a phone conversation than in a forum. If that helps your investigation, great.

Hi Jayz from a fellow Warnervaler.

I use an iPad with Co-Pilot which cost about $20 (the software that is; the iPad much more). It has all the waypoints I have ever needed and, if it doesn't, you can easily create them. There are no moving maps, airfield details or anything but you get a nice line that tells you if you are on track or not and all waypoints show up on the screen as you pass them by so diversions can be easily achieved. I generally write out separate Warnervale Flight Plans so I have never actually printed out the flight plan itself but you might be able to do it. It doesn't give you radio details. Headings automatically correct once you put in the wind from forecast.

I didn't get this until after I completed my PPL (about 6 months ago) 'cos I thought it would be much better to be able to do it without the electrics and I knew Wayne would be ****ed if I was cheating. But on my first big trip as a PPL around half the country in PRF last October, it was a great comfort to me (and my wife) to be able to double check my course.

The software also works on iPhone so we actually had three GPS units in the plane - iPad, Wife's phone, my phone.

For the money, I think it works great and I can't see me buying a separate GPS unit.

YMMV.

Yes. That's right. See http://www.sentientsoftware.com.auI'll pm you my phone number and if you like I can discuss my experiences with you. It is easier to ask and answer a lot more in a phone conversation than in a forum. If that helps your investigation, great.

Thanks David I will be on to it next week and give you a bell thanks mate

Hi Jayz from a fellow Warnervaler.

'cos I thought it would be much better to be able to do it without the electrics and I knew Wayne would be ****ed if I was cheating.

YMMV.

I know you mean I want to be able to do it with out electrics and I think Wayne you flip out if he found that your flight plan was from a computer lol that's why I like him as an instructor.

Anybody fancy the AvMap GeoPilot II plus? Seems a better cost than the Aera 550. Not sure of its automotive capability.

The new release model of the GeoPilot that came out about a month ago now has street maps with it...not sure how good it is yet as I haven't had a chance to play with it

The EKP4 at $1695 is a darn good deal in the shop here

The new release model of the GeoPilot that came out about a month ago now has street maps with it...not sure how good it is yet as I haven't had a chance to play with itThe EKP4 at $1695 is a darn good deal in the shop here

It's a very nice piece of equipment, Ian and your prices are always very competitive. But the current trend is for "bigger" and unfortunately my panel is not a big one. It's already pretty full of things and, while neither the 695 nor the EKP will fit, the small Garmin does so nicely right in front of me without obscuring the other dials... hence my preference.

The real benefit of the AVMAP program as a moving map arises from its use of the standard Air Services charts. It also makes doing all of the jobs in flight planning extremely quick.

Nevertheless, I still have with me and use my paper charts 'cause you just never know.

The next thing I have to update is my vhf radio. I currently have an ICOM 200 with 50 mghz spacing and will probably look at the updated A210 with 25 mhhz spacings because it apparently slots straight into the same cradle. It also incorporates an intercom which would free up one instrument spot for an AH which would be very useful.

Because of limited places to put things once again, the radio sits on the dash above the instrument panel in front of the pilot. This is a pain because it also obsures my view until the tail comes up! It's also the reason why I haven't considered a GNS430 which is much bulkier again.

kaz